2014 Applicants

MattDest

Besides trying to get away with the same pun twice,

This is my second time going through the application process. I was rejected from all of the PhD programs I applied to last time, but got into a decent MA program.

My GPA's are pretty low compared to other phil-majors. 3.4 undergrad (3.9 major though) and 3.8 through my MA program. I have fairly average GRE scores (V162, Q154, A4.0). 4 strong letters, two are from philosophers well respected in their areas (mind and ancient).

I'm applying to 8 top 50 programs and 6 unranked programs (though, two are still very strong) and two specialty MA's.

I'm interested in the analytic tradition of political philosophy and ethics (which means I'm also interested in Kant). 

I wish the best of luck to all of you. 

Just out of curiosity, what PhD programs did you apply to last time? And are you applying to the same ones this time around? 

Just out of curiosity, what PhD programs did you apply to last time? And are you applying to the same ones this time around? 

I applied to 1 top five school and 6 fifteen-thirty schools. I was aiming for the ~twenty range. I'm being much less ambitious this time around. 

Hallo all! This is my fourth time through the mill. Time the first I had zero idea what I was doing and rightfully got in no where but my alma matter for an unfounded MA. I decided to get a second bachelors instead.

Time the second I ended up going to St. Andrews, stopped after the MLitt because I couldn't afford the further year for the MPhil.

Time the third I got on a few wait-lists, and into two programs. The better offer was from Missouri, but I ended up declining for exigent personal reasons. 

And here we are again. Better GRE scores, better statement, better sample, and (I should think) same or better letters (one from a big name). I also feel I've finally gotten the hang of finding fit and applying across the gambit the best way. 

At current I have applied to: Boston, CU-Boulder, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Missouri, St. Andrews, Toronto, UC - Riverside, Virginia, Wisconsin, Yale. If I find more money I will be adding in some or all of: Rice, Syracuse, Utah, WUSTL, Cambridge, Sheffield, York, KCL, ANU. I know I should apply to Arizona, but I can't get myself to for some reason. 

My Undergrad GPA was 3.8, 3.95 in one major (philosophy) and 4.0 in the other (poli sci). My graduate GPA was distinction level (16.6 on St. Andrews system). My GRE is 161/161/5.5.

I have a handful of publications (mainly graduate journals), and a half dozen presentations (mainly professional conferences including an APA).

I've taught at Community Colleges, and through other programs. I had a lot of extracurricular laurels and a list of honour organisations, but I've had to leave them off my application for space reasons. Though, I wonder if they would have been better to list than my work experience (Thoughts?).

Best of luck to everyone! The chatting and camaraderie of this thread/forum is one of my favourite parts of the process. 

AquinasDuo, stories like yours make me feel very inadequate :) Sometimes I think I need way more life experience and I shouldn't kid myself by trying to get into PhD programs. Oh well, the deed is done, we'll see what happens!  Good luck! 

Bah! Kind of you to say, but even with all those 'experiences' I still get easily beat out by youngins with pedigree and better scores. 

I see Boulder on your list. It was my top choice in the U.S. four years running. I wanted little more than to study there. Sadly, this happened:

"Due to a complex internal reorganization now in progress, the University of Colorado Boulder Philosophy Department will not be admitting any new graduate students for the 2014-15 year.  We apologize for the inconvenience and we will refund the application fees for those who have already paid.  Thanks so much for your interest in us. We expect to re-open enrollments for 2015-16."

"Due to a complex internal reorganization now in progress, the University of Colorado Boulder Philosophy Department will not be admitting any new graduate students for the 2014-15 year.  We apologize for the inconvenience and we will refund the application fees for those who have already paid.  Thanks so much for your interest in us. We expect to re-open enrollments for 2015-16."

wait when did that happen? I have a friend who is applying there and he never told me that? I don't see anything on the website on a cursory glance.

MattDest,

I suppose my prevailing interest is in Applied Ethics, specifically animal (and to a lesser extent enviromental). However, through my first two rodeos I was a general Political Philosophy student; I hadn't refine my interests more than down to rights/duties and governmental legitmacy. Through my time in Philosophy many of my politics centered interests have been weeded out as generally out of place in Philosophy study (though welcome again once a professional, which bugs me a little). This processes, both in removing some foci and leaving me clutching desperately to others, left me in Applied Ethics, wherein I was able to rediscover and take as research my personal convictions.

Then, my secondary has always been ancient. From my first semester through to today I have loved the stuff.

The 500 word limit on the SOP for Georgetown was an unpleasant surprise.

There goes my afternoon. 

That sucks. I feel like one of my apps had a similar word limit. Penn State maybe? I can't remember. Anyway, I doubt it will impact your application too much. 

University of Illinois at Chicago has a 300 word limit. I was pulling my hair out trying to condense my statement that much. 

I want to go to grad school CAUSE philosophy. My interests are Islamic Philosophy, Plotinus, and Philosophy of Love. Please accept me into your program, because I'm really great. Also, I'll bring booze.

^use that, sure to work...

Here are my stats:

AOI: Ancient, Political/Social, Continental, History of Philosophy

GRE: 168V/161Q/6AW

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

Applying to: BC, BU, Columbia, CUNY, Cornell, Emory, Northwestern, Toronto, UChicago, Princeton, UWisconsin-Milwaukee, Georgia State, Vanderbilt, UHouston

That's a broad AOI. And it looks like we're competing for position in over half of your school choices...lovely.