Cognitive Neuroscience for fall 2014

obf314

Hey everybody, I can't seem to find much recent discussion on here about cognitive neuroscience programs or the application process, so I thought I'd start a thread. I don't have any specific questions, just wanted a space if other people have things to talk about (mostly so I can steal all of your great ideas for the essays I'm writing now). For what it's worth, I am applying to psychology departments with strengths in neuroimaging research, and would like to study the neural mechanisms of emotion, cognitive control, and their interactions in decision-making. I've got 12 applications lined up now, which seems like a lot to me, but not after I remind myself that some of these places accept 2-5%. Anybody else applying now? Any current students with insider tips about applying or surviving once you get in?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for making this thread. I hope that more people in our field find it and share their stories as well. I know it would help me feel a little bit better to hear from others who are going through what I am going through.

I am also applying for cognitive neuroscience/behavioral neuroscience programs for Fall 2014. I began by only looking for programs in experiemental psychology, but I expanded my search into neuroscience/interdisciplinary programs as well. My main interests are in psychopharmacology, traumatic brain injury, and Alzheimer's. I realize my interests are pretty varied, but I would be happy doing research in any of these areas. I plan on tailoring each of my applications to fit at least one of these interests as there are faculty doing research in at least one at each school I am applying. I am also applying to twelve different schools which I felt like was a lot, too. One of my professors suggested I apply to 10-15 and I figured he knows better than I do.

I'll go ahead and share a little bit about my situation. At first I was very excited about the prospect of applying to PhD programs, but now I am definitely more apprehensive. My GPA at my last two instutitions, over the last three years (75 credit hours), is 3.8. I am taking my GRE in two weeks (I know, I am cutting it really close here but I excel at standardized tests and I am not worried about doing well). The one thing I feel is a huge black mark on my academic career is that I had a bad year  in 2009 and one bad semester in 2010. I made 2 F's in 2009, and in 2010 I made 1 F because I neglected to get a turberculosis test. This makes my overall GPA much lower (somewhere in the 2's). Basically, my academic career consisted of a lot of me flailing about, having no clue what I was interested in or what I was doing. I have six years and over 200 credit hours of classes, but I have never made below a B in either of my majors (I double majored for my BS in Behavioral Science and Anthropology). The year I finally got my act together was after I managed to leave my abusive ex-husband and I started attending the school I am graduating from.

Additionally, I have only one semester of actual research experience and then two semesters of classes about research/experiment design. I also have just over a year of experience working as a veterinary technician, and I have a year of classes in vet tech in addition to my certification as a veterinary assistant. This has helped me somewhat because we do research on rats, and I think it may be to my advantage at other schools with animal research facilities.

My letters of recommendation are coming from the professors which are overseeing my current research and from my professor that taught the research design and statistics courses I took. I have been wondering if applying this semester is a bad idea. I may be able to continue with research at the lab where I am now, and my professor said I am definitely accepted into the Master's program there. So then perhaps on next year's apps I would be able to show ability to do graduate level courses and I would have more research experience. My only concern is that this would only add more debt and more time when I feel like I am already behind.

Any advice and opinions are welcome. Sorry for rambling. Again, thanks OP for starting this thread.

Hi, 

I am an international student. I'm looking at cognitive neuroscience programs too. I did not see this thread when I formed the new forum. 

Since I am international student, I'm new to the system and need some help. 

Thanks and Good luck to you guys!

@obf314 Good luck! My interests are kinda similar (neural mechanisms of emotion, cognitive control, and their distortions in mood disorders). I'm basically your psychopathalogical cousin :-P. No tips but how much you want to bet we may be applying to the same places? You're way ahead though because I'm still adding/removing schools to my list today (Oct 30th).  I'm having trouble finding 8 places where I have perfect fit. I wish I were less indecisive. So, at this point I have a snowball's chance in hell because I am so scattered/unfocused.

@Neurotic I think you should apply anyway. The worst that could happen is that you get rejected and then you work on the MA. It will also help you learn the application process and get you through application anxiety. The MA helps you start from a blank slate of sorts and its great because you already have a relationship and are already engaged in research. You won't have lost research time as a result of a "warm up" period. Maybe also consider post-bac programs or paid research positions if money's an issue? Maybe try some other MAs? I have a friend who is boosting a bad GPA with a funded MA program... they may be out there. He's really happy but is not in neurocognition. He's a social guy getting a quant degree.

I'm thinking of applying to 8 (maybe 9) PhDs, 2 MAs, and a post-bac program. I have an MA in general Psych that came with my BA/MA but I'm now considering an MA in Quantitative Psych as plan B in case I don't get in anywhere. I think the statistical training I'll get in a program will be awesome regardless of what ever I decide to do after. I'm really nervous because I don't have much neuroimaging experience (but I have lots of experience with behavioral stuff). I'm starting to wonder now if I should be applying to more but I can't even begin to think of more places with good fit :(. I hate this process--it's crazy making.

Edited by randompsychologist

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions for good MS/MA Programs for Neuroscience/Cognitive Neuroscience?

I currently attend The University of Texas at Dallas where I am completing my M.S. in Applied Cognition and Neuroscience. Check them out. I do my research in clinical neuropsychology at UT Southwestern Medical School. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone apply to Duke Cognitive Neuroscience? If so, any idea when we might hear back? :D

I applied to their Psychology & Neuroscience Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience... Haven't heard anything. Did see a result about Cognition Neuro that said all interview invites were already extended, but I'm not sure if that was Psychology and Neuro or just Neuro. Fingers crossed it's just Neuro  :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Meh... just got the Duke CNAP rejection letter. C'est la vie. Has anyone apply to CUNY for the Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience program? Have you heard back yet?

I applied to CUNY for the Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience program but haven't heard anything yet. Did anyone know whether CUNY has sent out interview 

invitation?

I applied to CUNY for the Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience program but haven't heard anything yet. Did anyone know whether CUNY has sent out interview 

invitation?

Hi!

I applied to this program, but still haven't heard anything. They also haven't timestamped one of my transcripts yet (the important one!), and I emailed admissions to find out if they needed me to resend it and heard nothing back. That was 3 days ago. 

The waiting is killing me. 

I've also applied to these schools and haven't heard back from any of them!

1. University of Pennsylvania (PhD Cognitive Psychology)

2. University of Chicago (PhD Integrative Neuroscience)

3. City University of New York (PhD Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience)

4. Carnegie Mellon University (PhD Psychology)

5. The New School for Social Research (PhD Cognitive, Social and Developmental Psychology)

This is my first time applying to PhD programs. Will you post in this thread when you find out? I'll do the same. 

FWIW, I applied to CUNY's comparative psychology program and have not heard anything.

Also have not heard from U Chicago but saw a few posts go up on the results board today....

I also applied to CUNY with no word yet...I am also anxiously wait to hear from UCSD cog psych. Did any of you apply to biology programs as well or just psych/neuro?

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to CUNY's Biology program (Neuroscience Collaborative) about a week ago without an interview. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know the reputation of this program? Seems like a good program to me!

Has anyone heard back from the CUNY neuorscience collaborative who applied through the psychology program?

I applied but have yet to hear anything. I contacted my POI and they mentioned decisions would be made this week on who to interview, with a tentative date of the 28th

oh good to know. Anyone apply to and hear back from Tufts Ph.D. in experimental psychology, or BU's Brain Behavior and Cognition?

Edited by sjk24