MPH 2014!!

worldpeace

Hello everyone!

I'm applying to MPH for the entering class of 2014, mostly epidemiology with a concentration in infectious diseases. I'm applying to:

- Columbia

- Yale

- GW

- Emory

- BU

My application was e-submitted last week and will be mailed out tomorrow (10/30). Who else is applying?? What program(s) are you guys applying to and what are the schools?? Also, are you guys planning on pursuing MD and/or PhD afterwards? 

Good luck everyone!  :)

I'm also applying for a MPH (MS at a few places).

Wow! SOPHAS verified your application fast. Nice :)

I'm applying to:

Boston University

Jefferson School of Population Health

Tulane

University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Iowa (MS)

University of Michigan

University of Minnesota

University of Pittsburg

Possibly a PhD afterward, but I want a few years of work experience first.

Are you going for epidemiology?

Yes, I applied for epi to all of these schools. I was actually considering environmental health sciences since I want to do research on the environmental influences on infectious diseases, but I heard that epi is a great start for someone who hasn't studied public health. What program are you applying to?? 

Several different ones - epi at a few places, environmental science at a few others, one in agricultural health (which falls under the occupational health department), tropic disease and parasitology at Tulane . I'm also focusing on infectious disease, hopefully antibiotic resistance.

You might want to consider environmental science at U of Minn - my cousin graduated from that program and says you get all of the epidemiology knowledge with a greater focus on infectious disease than in the actual epidemiology program, since they have to spend more time on biostats.

Mine were also mailed out on 10/30 (today). I e-submitted 10/22, undelivered 10/27, and re-e-submitted 10/27....it's been a struggle with SOPHAS. I applied to Columbia, NYU, Mt. Sinai, BU, Rutgers, UPenn, Emory, Berkeley (ALA MATER! But wishful thinking...)

I really hope I get in somewhere :( haha. I'm wavering between confidence and complete despair now that I'm playing the waiting game. I'll reveal my stats when and if I get accepted.

Edit: I applied to a wide range of programs but half of them are epi, the other half would take too much effort for me to list out... I haven't decided if I want to pursue an MD at this stage, but I definitely want a PhD.

Edited by 123hardasABC

Yikes I'm feeling very behind, I'm still in the middle of my process and hoping to get everything in by the end of November. Should I have started this earlier?

I am applying to the Columbia IR/MPH dual program, which is my far and away top choice.

Also applying to MPH programs at Emory, NYU, Tulane, and USC.

Anyone else applying to a dual program at Columbia? I have lots of questions and i am having trouble getting answers!

Also, what are people's thoughts on the NYU MPH? I feel like what I've seen has left me fairly unimpressed, but because my dad works for NYU I would be able to go for free and that's...hard to pass up!

You're totally behind! The peak of the application cycle is December/January; you'll actually still be ahead by submitting late November. I only applied so early since I was originally considering spring 2014 deadlines - I changed my mind, but all my apps were completed already.

Yikes I'm feeling very behind, I'm still in the middle of my process and hoping to get everything in by the end of November. Should I have started this earlier?

I am applying to the Columbia IR/MPH dual program, which is my far and away top choice.

Also applying to MPH programs at Emory, NYU, Tulane, and USC.

Anyone else applying to a dual program at Columbia? I have lots of questions and i am having trouble getting answers!

Also, what are people's thoughts on the NYU MPH? I feel like what I've seen has left me fairly unimpressed, but because my dad works for NYU I would be able to go for free and that's...hard to pass up!

You're not behind. The reason I put out my application this early is because the UCs (University of California schools) have an early deadline (Dec 1) compared to other schools. Since I had all my material in order, I submitted to all the other schools on my list too. 

You're totally behind! The peak of the application cycle is December/January; you'll actually still be ahead by submitting late November. I only applied so early since I was originally considering spring 2014 deadlines - I changed my mind, but all my apps were completed already.

I'm sorry. I meant totally NOT behind!

Heheh thanks for the reassurance. I've been freaking out about the entire process and yesterday was basically the peak of my freak out!  I had someone I trust tell me last night that i was being ridiculous, which was what I needed to hear than. Its also good to hear this from you guys=)

Heheh thanks for the reassurance. I've been freaking out about the entire process and yesterday was basically the peak of my freak out!  I had someone I trust tell me last night that i was being ridiculous, which was what I needed to hear than. Its also good to hear this from you guys=)

haha good luck!! And remember: the sooner the better! ;)

• 1 month later...

haha good luck!! And remember: the sooner the better! ;)

Seriously?!! OMG!!! I may not mail the materials to the schools until the end of December(or the beginning of Jan) cuz i'm waiting for my final GPA at the end of this semester!(Sorry, my gpa sucks that's why...) I saw most of the deadlines of the schools of public health are around early Jan...I'm wondering if they are rolling basis or they'll review all the applicants' materials at the same time?

I'm applying fall 2014 MPH focus on health policy and management!! I'm so anxious about my application...my cumulative GPA is only 3.1><Too poor I know...I'm double major in Applied maths and Economics at a top state university. I have two-year volunteer experience in the state university hospital and some other volunteer activities related to healthcare. And I have two research related to biostats and nursing care. My GRE grade is decent! (percentile around 90%) I have 3 recommendation letters, one from the leading prof. of my major, one from the boss of my biostats research, and the other one is from the supervisor of my internship(a famous bio tech company). I have already finished my CV and now I'm working on the personal statement now!(and my finals as well- -) 

Sighhh...I don't know if I'm competitive in the MPH of HPM program>< Really hope I can get in the top public health schoolT__T Plz give me some advice!!! Let me know if  there is other GPA losers here applying MPH like me><

Seriously?!! OMG!!! I may not mail the materials to the schools until the end of December(or the beginning of Jan) cuz i'm waiting for my final GPA at the end of this semester!(Sorry, my gpa sucks that's why...) I saw most of the deadlines of the schools of public health are around early Jan...I'm wondering if they are rolling basis or they'll review all the applicants' materials at the same time?

I'm applying fall 2014 MPH focus on health policy and management!! I'm so anxious about my application...my cumulative GPA is only 3.1><Too poor I know...I'm double major in Applied maths and Economics at a top state university. I have two-year volunteer experience in the state university hospital and some other volunteer activities related to healthcare. And I have two research related to biostats and nursing care. My GRE grade is decent! (percentile around 90%) I have 3 recommendation letters, one from the leading prof. of my major, one from the boss of my biostats research, and the other one is from the supervisor of my internship(a famous bio tech company). I have already finished my CV and now I'm working on the personal statement now!(and my finals as well- -) 

Sighhh...I don't know if I'm competitive in the MPH of HPM program>< Really hope I can get in the top public health schoolT__T Plz give me some advice!!! Let me know if  there is other GPA losers here applying MPH like me><

I believe most schools are on the rolling basis, and some students have already been accepted to several schools. Most schools, according to their website, require at least a 3.0 GPA, though some students get in with a slightly lower GPA. I think it really depends on a whole package of an applicant, rather than just numbers. I think if you want accurate and informative advice, I highly suggest you contact the schools that you're applying to directly and ask them if you are competitive enough for their program. We can only give you our opinions, but they're not going to be as accurate as those you'll receive from admission office. 

Best of luck!! 

I'm in the sub-3.0 category, and I certainly didn't do as well on the GRE as you claim to have. Don't let your GPA get you down. You'll be fine, just apply. Worst case scenario, you don't get in the first time and you get a year to build a badass CV. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Did anyone who applied to the MPH at Columbia hear today about admissions interviews? I'm applying to HPM and received an email about an upcoming interview, and did not realize that was part of the admissions process...

I just saw someone posted this over at the SDN website. I also applied to the MPH at Columbia, but for epi; I haven't heard anything from them yet though... :/

Absolute silence from Columbia here as well. From what I've heard, they're pretty notorious for being late on results. I would (try very, very hard to) remain calm until mid/end of February to early March.