application stress

friedgreentom

Is anyone else experiencing serious stress with the application process? I feel like there are never enough hours in the day. I don't have time to see friends, exercise, etc. because of all the time and effort it takes to juggle references and essays. How are others managing and finding balance? I can't wait until the applications are IN and OVER!

Its never too early to practice prioritizing and self care. I feel myself thinking  I don't have time to see friends, exercise, etc. because of all the time and effort it takes to juggle _________________  now that I am at the tail end of my first semester and in the thick of finals. That being said, it can be done  :) . Waiting was brutal for me as well but when the first acceptance letter, phone call, or email comes in it will all be worth it. Handle all that is within your power and if something is out of your control let it go. Serenity comes to mind...

I personally dont borrow notes from people who have completed the program. I dont know anybody who does. It behooves me to garner my own understanding from what I am reading. Out of my four classes so far, one has required me to take quizzes or tests. This is my research class and my professor is renowned in the social work field. He is passionate about his work and researched contribution to the field. he pushes us to the limit. Conversely, he is the only professor who teaches research to that extreme at the school.

A typical week for me looks like this: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I have my field practicum which is 8 hours a day. Wednesday I have two classes and friday I have two classes. The reading averages between 400-500 pages a week. We have readings from our textbooks, assigned articles, websites, periodicals etc. We come to class prepared to discuss and apply the readings to our practice. The papers in my program are not too long, they average between 10-15 pages. But we have had 10 so far this semester and four pending for finals. Midterms and finals for my classes are all given out and generally due at the same time. On top of the readings and papers we have presentations and things of that nature. My experience will differ from others on this forum. I am going full time and that plays a role into the expectations of the program as well.

I suppose students help each other.... I dont like relying on others to be thorough in their readings so I do them on my own. Another thing that I should add, many programs require students to do process recordings at their internship. Essentially you write down your interactions with your clients (verbatim) in one column. In the column to the right you write down your thoughts and questions. Feelings that may have come up, etc. And in the far right column your supervisor writes his/her thoughts on the encounter. These are very time consuming but helpful.

Please forgive me if I am not clear. I am typing this as I am on the train and I am in a bit of a hurry.

MSW programs are intense. I was was suspicious when alumni of my program told me this is the hardest thing they have ever done. They were not exaggerating. My program is considered 'rigorous' and that couldnt be farther from the truth but I dont regret my decision for a minute.

• 3 weeks later...

so i am hearing that school itself is way more stressful than the application process. that said, how are people juggling application stress? the application process takes a lot of time and energy. it also requires constant self-coaching and cheer-leading, especially because i do not have a lot of people helping and supporting me. i really have to push myself! any tips for minimizing stress with applications? there is so much on the line: you are either accepted or you are not. 

Applications have definitely been stressful for me, especially since I'm a perfectionist and I want my personal statement to be awesome. I think the personal statement is the toughest part of the application since they are all 6-8 pages and wen you have four or more going on at the same time with different questions being asked it's really hard not to get swamped! Just do one at a time and focus on that one! Now that I've turned in all my apps and now I'm waiting to hear my admission decisions the stress and nervousness is even worse. I wish I knew a set date I would know so I don't have to worry everyday about when I'll know lol

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all the responses! I must say that in my case, I feel A LOT less stressed now that all my applications are complete. Working on applications was really hard work for me. It was like a fulltime job. It feels wonderful to have some free time back! Of course, waiting presents a whole new set of challenges...