The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

I'm feeling the same way about CUNY! Their application was due December 1st. Oh well, someone said we should hear from them tomorrow. It's the last university I'm waiting to hear back from, and I just want this part of the process to be over.

Patience, patience...

Good Luck Sarab! You've been as supportive as anyone can be from behind a keyboard! I know it's hard to say online what your preference is, but do you think you know where you're going to end up? Michigan seems exciting, but that's probably because I already live in Los Angeles, and am used to the nice weather. I'm excited about Chicago, but that may change after I realize I'll be freezing! I currently walk to campus 3 miles away in shorts most days.

Edited by Forsaken in LA

I'm new to this forum.. glad to be here! 

I have received 2 acceptances from UNLV and Washington State. Still haven't heard from Oregon State and Washington University in St. Louis. (I got rejected from Notre Dame early on in the waiting game). 

Has anyone else heard back from Oregon or WUSTL? 

Good Luck Sarab! You've been as supportive as anyone can be from behind a keyboard! I know it's hard to say online what your preference is, but do you think you know where you're going to end up? Michigan seems exciting, but that's probably because I already live in Los Angeles, and am used to the nice weather. I'm excited about Chicago, but that may change after I realize I'll be freezing! I currently walk to campus 3 miles away in shorts most days.

I'm originally from Colombia, and I live in Atlanta, so I'm kinda scared of the cold! Michigan is definitely an amazing program and a great fit, so we'll see. San Diego's weather sounds perfect though! I'm not going to make decisions based solely on the weather, but I want to make sure I can live for a long time wherever I end up going to, you know? 

Hopefully visiting weekends will help me decide.

Did you decide that you'll be attending Chicago? I went to there for the last AAAs, and I was so cold!

I'm originally from Colombia, and I live in Atlanta, so I'm kinda scared of the cold! Michigan is definitely an amazing program and a great fit, so we'll see. San Diego's weather sounds perfect though! I'm not going to make decisions based solely on the weather, but I want to make sure I can live for a long time wherever I end up going to, you know? 

This is, embarrassingly, one of my issues too.. warm Las Vegas winters or cold and snowy Washington winters... I've already been living in a super cold location for my B.S and I am so ready to be done with it! 

This is, embarrassingly, one of my issues too.. warm Las Vegas winters or cold and snowy Washington winters... I've already been living in a super cold location for my B.S and I am so ready to be done with it! 

I'm not even embarrased. The cold is a scary thing (and an investment!)

I'm not even embarrased. The cold is a scary thing (and an investment!)

I spent one winter in Wyoming when I was younger and it was snowy and cold, but other than that, I have lived in California and gotten used to weather. Something like Chicago is going to be a shock to the system!

Still no word over here from Madison. Either they got a ton of applicants and they're really doing this in waves or I'm on some (un)official wait list. Either way, now I'm just getting confused. Hoping UBC is soon, too.

Please Yale people!!!! Share your news hahaha

A friend of mine was admitted yesterday via email from a POI.  They were interviewed, as we should assume all admitted students were.

It was a form email to check the site and POI email with details. And yes, all sociocultural did interviews this month.

I'm from up near Ann Arbor, and the cold is not fun, but just bundle up! You need a good winter coat, scarf, hats, gloves, etc. The snow is fun! Just be prepared for how windy it is during the winter. That's sometimes not the best. But it's a great school with a great program. I have some friends who went there, and they absolutely loved it!

Well it may not have been very smart, but I just emailed Columbia GSAS and asked when we can expect to be notified.  I'm guessing it won't matter much in the decision making process. lol.  From what I gathered from the forum they have already notified, I just wanted to confirm... 

I shall keep everyone in the loop

Well it may not have been very smart, but I just emailed Columbia GSAS and asked when we can expect to be notified.  I'm guessing it won't matter much in the decision making process. lol.  From what I gathered from the forum they have already notified, I just wanted to confirm... 

Thanks for reaching out!  I talked to my POI on Tuesday and they said they were in the midst of things and they couldn't disclose one way or another.  It made me think that maybe not everything was all set?  And nobody claimed those Columbia posts...I remain skeptical. 

Thanks a lot for doing what I've been too much of a wuss to do! It'll be nice to know if we have some kind of timeline. I was waiting until closer to mid-March to email places and be like "okay, seriously, what's the hold up?" 

Thanks a lot for doing what I've been too much of a wuss to do! It'll be nice to know if we have some kind of timeline. I was waiting until closer to mid-March to email places and be like "okay, seriously, what's the hold up?" 

I've been shut out of all PhD's I applied too, so I figured I didn't have much to lose in contacting Columbia.  In any case, we'll see if they respond.  I just couldn't wait any longer.  I've been up all night studying, then the power went out this morning and I couldn't make coffee.  I left and went to campus a few hours early for coffee and last minute studying. It must be the exhaustion that got to me... hehe. :blink:

Haven't posted here at all through the whole process, but this board has been very helpful and (somewhat, as much as possible) inspiring. I'm not the only one still waiting on December applications! And as a long-time resident of the chicago area (and phd dropout from one of its schools), I can assure you that it gets worse than that AAA weekend. Much, much worse. Think 3 feet of snow being carted off ton by ton in dump trucks, or this winter, -25 F air temperatures. Still a great place to live though

Haven't posted here at all through the whole process, but this board has been very helpful and (somewhat, as much as possible) inspiring. I'm not the only one still waiting on December applications! And as a long-time resident of the chicago area (and phd dropout from one of its schools), I can assure you that it gets worse than that AAA weekend. Much, much worse. Think 3 feet of snow being carted off ton by ton in dump trucks, or this winter, -25 F air temperatures. Still a great place to live though

Well, yes, of course I expect it to get colder! It got colder than the AAA weekend in Atlanta, so of course it'll be colder there. Anyway, we can always adapt to new circumstances and new places, right?

Edited by sarab

Are there any archaeology applicants who heard from UNC Chapel Hill? I didn't get anything with the wave of results the other day, so I'm wondering if archaeology is just running behind...

I have a Meso arch friend that got rejected from there, that's all I know!