The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

I'm still waiting to hear back from:

• University of Massachusetts-Boston
  • William and Mary
  • Illinois State
  • University of West-Florida...

Anyone else hear from them? I know xstopfloating got accepted to U-Mass...I was wondering if you were recruited or something because the admissions director emailed me late Feb saying they were hoping to make their final decisions that week or next...just curious.

Edited by AKCarlton

So I broke down and called Tulane regarding my decision to the MA in Latin American Studies program. There was some confusion I guess because I was told I should have heard already.The kind lady in the dean's office told me she'd look into it and return my call. I figured this meant I had been rejected. As the workday in NOLA came to a close I still hadn't heard, so I emailed thinking screw it, I might as well go all in now.  Apparently I have been "unofficially" waitlisted. Yeah, so ok... Waitlisted. "Unofficially".  What does that even mean? I haven't seen one rejection or acceptance on the results board, and in fact what is worrisome is that for the past 3 years there has been only one per year. The good news (or bad news, depending how you look at it) is that the offers came funded. So now I'm left thinking, if I'm on the "unofficial" waitlist, does that mean there is an "official" waitlist that they have to get through before they get to me? If the offer comes funded, I can pretty much assume that someone is going to jump on it before me. I mean, that's why I haven't accepted the Chicago offer yet, because I am/was waiting on a decision from Tulane. 

AGGGHHH.  I wanted to make this decision, take my finals, then not worry about anything except reading the books I checked out from the library this Spring Break. Oh well, no rest for the weary...

Edited by Forsaken in LA

I'm still waiting to hear back from:

• University of Massachusetts-Boston
  • William and Mary
  • Illinois State
  • University of West-Florida...

Anyone else hear from them? I know xstopfloating got accepted to U-Mass...I was wondering if you were recruited or something because the admissions director emailed me late Feb saying they were hoping to make their final decisions that week or next...just curious.

Hi AKCarlton! My acceptance came first from the admissions director and then, a few weeks later, from the university. Very best of luck! I love their program, but I'm still waiting on a few other schools...

So I broke down and called Tulane regarding my decision to the MA in Latin American Studies program. There was some confusion I guess because I was told I should have heard already.The kind lady in the dean's office told me she'd look into it and return my call. I figured this meant I had been rejected. As the workday in NOLA came to a close I still hadn't heard, so I emailed thinking screw it, I might as well go all in now.  Apparently I have been "unofficially" waitlisted. Yeah, so ok... Waitlisted. "Unofficially".  What does that even mean? I haven't seen one rejection or acceptance on the results board, and in fact what is worrisome is that for the past 3 years there has been only one per year. The good news (or bad news, depending how you look at it) is that the offers came funded. So now I'm left thinking, if I'm on the "unofficial" waitlist, does that mean there is an "official" waitlist that they have to get through before they get to me? If the offer comes funded, I can pretty much assume that someone is going to jump on it before me. I mean, that's why I haven't accepted the Chicago offer yet, because I am/was waiting on a decision from Tulane. 

AGGGHHH.  I wanted to make this decision, take my finals, then not worry about anything except reading the books I checked out from the library this Spring Break. Oh well, no rest for the weary...

I wish you the best of luck Forsaken! Sending good vibes your way! You got this!!! :) 

I am also not fond of the "unofficial" waitlists. I was put on one as well for one of the schools I applied to. I was told that they would eventually contact me during the 'second wave' of acceptances to see how the "official" waitlist is. I would also like to know what the differences are between the official and unofficial. 

I wish you the best of luck Forsaken! Sending good vibes your way! You got this!!! :)

I am also not fond of the "unofficial" waitlists. I was put on one as well for one of the schools I applied to. I was told that they would eventually contact me during the 'second wave' of acceptances to see how the "official" waitlist is. I would also like to know what the differences are between the official and unofficial. 

I just accepted Chicago's offer. It's where I want to go. With all this talk about fit and funding. I was solely waiting on Tulane in hopes of funding. 

I just accepted Chicago's offer. It's where I want to go. With all this talk about fit and funding. I was solely waiting on Tulane in hopes of funding. 

That's good! :) Congrats!

I'm doing the same with CWU in hopes of using it to procure funding from the university I have already accepted. Are you planning on doing this, and if so how will you be wording it? All my professors told me I should try it if I am offered funding, but I feel so strange doing it... 

That's good! :) Congrats!

I'm doing the same with CWU in hopes of using it to procure funding from the university I have already accepted. Are you planning on doing this, and if so how will you be wording it? All my professors told me I should try it if I am offered funding, but I feel so strange doing it... 

No, they already offered half tuition. Tulane seems to make offers for the MA, but since Im not even officially waitlisted im not going wait and find out. The main reason for accepting early is I want to live in grad housing. They have some apartments that take dogs, and I need one of those so I wanted to submit my housing contract before they got reserved.  

Just had to stop in and say that I got an assistantship at LSU! Covers full tuition and a stipend.

I am so jazzed up I don't know how I'm supposed to go back to work for 6 more hours! :D

Just had to stop in and say that I got an assistantship at LSU! Covers full tuition and a stipend.

I am so jazzed up I don't know how I'm supposed to go back to work for 6 more hours! :D

Oh man, I know that feeling about work, but CONGRATULATIONS - that is huge!

laurissimo: i havent heard anything from upenn either. i wrote two weeks ago and they told me results were going to be sent out last week but i havent heard anything. have you written to the department asking?

Update on William and Mary: I just spoke with the administrative assistant there and she said they are crafting the letters now and that's normally how they notify people...however, I emailed them myself asking cause I can't wait for a letter. My mailing address is my permanent residence down in Phoenix and I live two hours away in Flagstaff and I told my parents not to open anything until I could...so I prefer email and she said they MAY be emailing people as well since it's late in the game.

Update on University of Massachusetts-Boston: They are on spring break. (oh geez, thanks for making us wait while you take a breather from it all).

Edited by AKCarlton

Congrats!! I'm out of upvotes, but I'm sending internet high-fives your way!

B) Bigh sigh of relief! Hope you're feeling wonderful!

That's really great! Congrats! 

Can anyone explain what the wait-list is like? How often have you been put on it and how often have you been offered a spot in their program?

I got waitlisted at CUNY and declined the option. Basically, if someone declines their acceptance in your subfield then you have a chance of getting in depending on your "level" in the waitlist (which they don't usually tell people). It's just a long and frustrating process from what I've noticed. Good luck!

laurissimo: i havent heard anything from upenn either. i wrote two weeks ago and they told me results were going to be sent out last week but i havent heard anything. have you written to the department asking?

Broke down and emailed them earlier today. I'll update when I get a response!

Can someone explain the April 15th deadline? I'm just confused because in my acceptance offer I was told I have until May 1st to let them know...

I plan to wait a while because I'm on wait-list for one of my other programs, and am holding out hope for it.

Can someone explain the April 15th deadline? I'm just confused because in my acceptance offer I was told I have until May 1st to let them know...

I plan to wait a while because I'm on wait-list for one of my other programs, and am holding out hope for it.

If they tell you that you have until May 1, then that is your deadline, not April 15 :) 

April 15th is the absolute earliest that a grad program can ask you to make a decision. Some others choose to have later dates, but you cannot be required to give a program an answer before the 15th.