The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

I also imagine the people who chose to report GREs and GPA with their results are self selecting - I've noticed several posts that will report at high GRE but leave the GPA blank or vice versa. I think people are reporting data that their proud of (which is great) but I don't think that the scores reported can necessarily be extrapolated to all the posts without GRE data.

Also - the majority of applicants do not participate in these forums or post their results on the list. So keep that in mind, we're not seeing results that are actually representative of the applicant pool.

Just wanted to let people know that my friend received an acceptance to Berkeley for the Medical Anthro track yesterday. Not sure if Medical tends to be earlier, but it shows that decisions have been / are being made at UCB. To my knowledge they were not interviewed. 

Berkeley's Medical Anthro program only takes 2 a year...and I haven't heard back, so... I'll be waiting for the official rejection letter. :)

On a side note, I am seriously wondering why I applied to programs that are in areas that are cold.  The one day so far this month that it's been chilly and overcast in Los Angeles and I'm mad because I want to walk my dog but don't want to change out of shorts and shirt into pants and hoodie.  Sigh*  Oh dear, here's hoping for Stanford...

On a side note, I am seriously wondering why I applied to programs that are in areas that are cold.  The one day so far this month that it's been chilly and overcast in Los Angeles and I'm mad because I want to walk my dog but don't want to change out of shorts and shirt into pants and hoodie.  Sigh*  Oh dear, here's hoping for Stanford...

I feel you on this. It is going to be a painful winter if I end up going back east next year. I really don't even know how to dress for the snow.

I'm so nervous! For some reason I'm feeling really pesimistic even though I know I shouldn't. I worry about my GRE scores even though everything else in my application was really solid. I still hope for the best though!

Oh I love cold. East Coast is fine!

Edited by colorless

I ask myself that all the time, and I live in the North East... 

eriatarka - 

yeah, the only schools I applied at that won't be cold in the winter are U of Miami and Florida International. 

FYI, I'm currently taking a class with the GPD here at FIU and she mentioned that they are going to try and make the first round of decisions today. These are likely the students who will be recommended for an on-campus fellowship and considered for guaranteed TA funding. Other decisions will be made later as people are still applying and there are a few of us waiting to hear about external funding that could free up additional TA lines. Message me if you have any questions about the program.

FYI, I'm currently taking a class with the GPD here at FIU and she mentioned that they are going to try and make the first round of decisions today. These are likely the students who will be recommended for an on-campus fellowship and considered for guaranteed TA funding. Other decisions will be made later as people are still applying and there are a few of us waiting to hear about external funding that could free up additional TA lines. Message me if you have any questions about the program.

Thanks JMU I pm'd you.

ugh, I think we can agree that January SUCKED.  So much worrying for nothing! 

Do you think next week will be a big one?

I want to know NOW, but maybe! I checked the results for my school's, and they usually send out decisions late February/early March, so I'm not hopeful about finding out soon.

ugh, I think we can agree that January SUCKED. So much worrying for nothing!

Do you think next week will be a big one?

January was a horrendous wait! Historically, next week seems to be pretty action-packed, from the results I've gathered on my schools anyway. Here's to hoping! And good riddance to the longest month I've ever experienced. Edited by eriatarka

Based on the results page, I was expecting something from UCLA this week-ish, and now, here I am. Waitlisted. Right on time!

I'm not too discouraged about being waitlisted for my top choice right off the bat. However, I am concerned that there are five different waitlist entries on the results page, given that GradCafe users usually make up only a fraction of any applicant pool. How many people did they admit? How big is the waitlist? Why am I told that I'll hear back in March (as opposed to all the way up until April 15th)? Sigh. Compounded stress.

Overall, it looks like we had a pretty decent day today! That is, in acceptances, not in volume of decisions. :P I can't wait until next week graces us with its presence.

Based on the results page, I was expecting something from UCLA this week-ish, and now, here I am. Waitlisted. Right on time!

I'm not too discouraged about being waitlisted for my top choice right off the bat. However, I am concerned that there are five different waitlist entries on the results page, given that GradCafe users usually make up only a fraction of any applicant pool. How many people did they admit? How big is the waitlist? Why am I told that I'll hear back in March (as opposed to all the way up until April 15th)? Sigh. Compounded stress.

Overall, it looks like we had a pretty decent day today! That is, in acceptances, not in volume of decisions. :P I can't wait until next week graces us with its presence.

The arch program is separate, right? Because I haven't heard anything back from UCLA, and I was kinda hopeful since I met a my POIs at the AAA's, and they were really interested in my project and said I'd be a great fit. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up based on that.