The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

I applied for classical archeology, so technically not under the anthropology department! But I'm sure you're right, usually departments want a balanced incoming cohort. I wonder if many people will decline their offers! 

OK, sorry for the double post, but I broke down and called Madison. All acceptances and rejections have not gone out yet. Final decisions should be by the end of next week. I realize now I could have asked about the status of my application whoooops

I applied for classical archeology, so technically not under the anthropology department! But I'm sure you're right, usually departments want a balanced incoming cohort. I wonder if many people will decline their offers! 

I pray and wish they  they get into better and bigger funding packages elsewhere. So we have a chance to get off the waitlist. you know i was going through the past stanford cohorts/ current graduate students and randomly looked through the background of about ten folks across years - majority of them did their undergrad from a top 5 schools in the country. these guys are really competitive...

This may or may not be true, but I heard Stanford made 4 offers.  yeeks!  I broke down and called them to ask if decisions had been made and the lady said yes, and that everyone had been notified if they were accepted.  Like I said, take it with a grain if you will.  The lady I spoke to sounded like a student, and did sound a little unsure. 

Edited by Forsaken in LA

For anyone else still waiting on CUNY, I have some non-news for you: I called anthropology for an application status and was transferred to the admissions department; the admissions department had no decision recorded for me and offered to transfer me to anthropology.

So yeah, non-news. Or, immediately interpreting this as a rejection since anthropology offered so quickly to transfer me to admissions. <_<

I don't know whether to email FSU again or not, seeing as the final decisions were apparently made a week ago. Any advice? The wait is killing me and I really want to email them! Just not sure it's advisable..

Edited by emmaatquoins

Still waiting on my final two here... (WUSTL, Oregon State).. and still waiting for funding offers from the 2 I've been accepted to. I emailed my POI from WSU and she told me she'd let me know when they plan to send those out. 

It appears I'm still in the middle for WUSTL, since some have been interviewed and some have received rejections. So, I am very impatiently waiting! 

Does anyone know if the University of South Carolina is finished making decisions? I still have a "decision pending" on my application, and I know some people have already been notified over a month ago.

Edited by sjh91

That is great news! We've all been rooting for you

Heyyy, that's awesome! Sending you acceptance vibes :)

Thank you both! ;_; I'm super stoked after the talk, and even if it goes nowhere, it's good validation. Still wishing good things for everyone else still waiting to hear back. Things were grim for a hot minute there but there is hope!

What's everyone's advice on contacting a school if your partner got in and you're waiting for word? Thinking something like: I'm really excited to work with you and the school remains my top choice. In addition I'm excited about moving there b/c my partner was admitted to this other program there.

Good, helpful, harmful, neutral?

What's everyone's advice on contacting a school if your partner got in and you're waiting for word? Thinking something like: I'm really excited to work with you and the school remains my top choice. In addition I'm excited about moving there b/c my partner was admitted to this other program there.

I don't know how it works with our programs, but my SO is applying to medical school and they definitely encourage those sorts of emails because they know graduate/professional schools are a huge, long-term commitment and want couples/families to stay together. If it were I, I would definitely write to them with that kind of information.

Sounds really good! I think it's good for the university to know that you are very interested, and I think that adds bonus points.

I don't know how it works with our programs, but my SO is applying to medical school and they definitely encourage those sorts of emails because they know graduate/professional schools are a huge, long-term commitment and want couples/families to stay together. If it were I, I would definitely write to them with that kind of information.

Sounds really good! I think it's good for the university to know that you are very interested, and I think that adds bonus points.

While waiting on funding on one particular university (and news from the other schools that I've applied to), should I mention the fact that I have family near the university? That is one of the many reasons why I'm still considering going there. 

I am a little perturbed this morning as I notice the Stanford rejections trickling in slowly. Why can they not inform everyone at once? Looking through the history on the boards, it appears that many people had to eventually call them to find out they were rejected or they would have never been given an official notice. Many people also voiced the same concerns that a few have this season regarding updating the ApplyWeb page.  My page was never fully updated, even after sending multiple emails that were never responded too.  The most expensive application, plus 2 copies of transcripts from each institution, and they don't have the courtesy to process and update? Why I am paying so much to apply then? Ridiculous! 

Ok vent over with. Seriously though, can I get an official rejection or what? Come on Stanford Anthro, take your foot out of your... :angry:

Knitting and watching lots of Netflix has been pretty therapeutic for me. Of course, I would still get distracted every few minutes or when my email would ding, but it was better than just sitting and trying to read the entire internet. Now I'm having to throw myself full-stop into writing this seminar paper, which is also helpfully distracting.

Of course, now that I'm past the post-good call with POI euphoria, it's back to nervousness. At least I only have about a week to wait. 

Since I have little to do but obsess over every aspect of the final application I'm waiting to hear from (except my job...I guess I could be doing that...) I'm curious how everybody would interpret what just happened.

I uploaded my unofficial transcripts when my application was due (January 15th), including those from my MA program, my BA program, and my junior college. I'm never sure how necessary those last ones are so I always figure I'll err on the side of caution and upload them. The next day I saw that they had processed all of them EXCEPT my jc transcripts. I thought maybe I hadn't labelled them clearly enough or perhaps they didn't upload properly...? So I uploaded them again. I checked back a week later and they still hadn't processed them so I figured, they must not need them. I've checked the website off and on since then and they never processed them. 

Until Monday.

I checked the website for the hell of it and saw that the jc transcripts had been uploaded on March 3rd. So........yeah. In the total absence of communication from my POI or the department I've been trying to figure out whether that's a good sign or a bad sign! First I thought, why would they bother uploading them now if they weren't going to make me some kind of acceptance/waitlist offer? But then I thought...maybe they uploaded them so they could officially close out my file and reject me...but then I thought AGAIN, if they had to do that for every reject, why wouldn't they have just uploaded everything initially?

And THEN I thought...what does gradcafe think?

FaultyPowers: I'd interpret that at a sign that committees are meeting & thoroughly considering applicants' materials. It's a busy time of year for departments — midterms, applications, funding, conferences, etc. — so that may explain the silence there. Also, professors (& therefore admin. staff?) may prefer not to be in touch with applicants while they're undergoing review until they have a decision. That would explain why all of your materials have been accessed somehow, & the silence, too.