89.9 ?!!!!!!!!

I don't freaking believe this.

I just added up all of my grades in my business class and it's an 89.9

I'm so pissed. Partly, because a lot of this class is subjective. We had a group project and essays on both of the exams.

Do you guys think the professor will round up? She really doesn't seem like a hard a$$. She also seems to like me and we had pretty good rapport. I'm really stressed though.

Edited by Compass

If it helps at all, I always round grades up, unless the student explicitly does not deserve the higher grade (constant late/no-show for class, some suspected cheating behavior, multiple missed deadlines, etc). I hope your professor does the same.

Re: "subjective grading," do you feel like you were not graded fairly? What you might think is a subjective grade often relies on a very clear rubric. I can definitely tell apart a 89 paper from a 93 one or a 96 one, even if you may think it's arbitrary.

Thanks for the reply. I hope she rounds up as well.

Well, we had a group project, and the rubric was very much not clear. We actually were evaluated by the rest of the class and we received a 92, but we were also the first of 6 groups to go. As the first group, the professor and the other students had no comparison. I think people's grading on the first presenter is generally a little unreliable because there is no context of performance expectation.

I wouldn't normally buy in to the whole subjectivity thing, but with an 89.9 anything could bump it.

When I grade groups (or papers, or anything that's a bit subjective in nature), I grade the first few tentatively.  Then I go back and adjust the grade if necessary.  But grades aren't always a direct comparison to other groups or people; they're supposed to be an evaluation of your work.

But I don't understand why you are "really stressed."  If your college does + and - grades, that's an A- instead of an A, which is hardly something to be stressed about.  If not, it's the difference between a B and an A, which is also not really something to be stressed about.  Presumably you're in graduate school, and if your GPA is above a 3.0 no one will really care what it is.

• 1 month later...