Interview invitations already?

Govari

Howdy fellow gradcafers!

I'm sort of freaking out at the moment because UNC-Chapel Hill just sent me an email inviting me to their Visitation Day in February. Has anyone else heard from them or other schools, or is this just in their Quantitative Psych program?

"Visiting Day for graduate school applicant finalists will be held in early-February 2014 and we will post the date here once it has been selected. This all-day event, which is by invitation only, allows applicants who have been chosen as finalists to visit the Department, learn more about the program to which they have applied, and provide additional information about their interests and qualifications to program faculty. Applicants for whom our Department is a top choice may want to reserve this date on their calendars in case they are invited to attend."

http://psychology.unc.edu/graduate-studies/admissions-process/

Sorry, not a Psych student, just curious. :)

Some schools do it by entire department, some do it by program. It really depends on the size of the school and how many applicants they get to each! Some do an interview day for the whole department, some do it by program. If you're curious, you could look at the results search from both this year and last year.

Congrats!

Howdy fellow gradcafers!

I'm sort of freaking out at the moment because UNC-Chapel Hill just sent me an email inviting me to their Visitation Day in February. Has anyone else heard from them or other schools, or is this just in their Quantitative Psych program?

#HumbleBrag

Congrats!  A friend of mine was invited by UNC-Chapel Hill to interview as well, although she is shooting for their behavioral neuroscience program.  Sounds like UNC is pretty on top of things!

Congrats!  A review of results search + quick interrogation of a friend in a non-quant UNC psych grad department reveals that invitations are generally extended by program, not department.  So don't get too anxious, people-who-applied-but-haven't-heard-yet!

Edited by gellert

Howdy fellow gradcafers!

Hey I got an interview for the quant program there too! We should chat!

I think quant programs are really quick because they have fewer people applying. Such is the life of math-minded psychology people I suppose. I've also heard from Ohio State and University of BC.

Where else did you apply?

Hey I got an interview for the quant program there too! We should chat!

I think quant programs are really quick because they have fewer people applying. Such is the life of math-minded psychology people I suppose. I've also heard from Ohio State and University of BC.

Where else did you apply?

I'll send you a message!

^ I would pick the school you care less about and tell them you have a travel conflict with something you already committed to, and ask if you can Skype or come a different day/time. Keep in mind this will likely put you at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's been done successfully before :-D.

You can also try to figure out if either school has multiple interview days, and see if you can switch to the other (some do one, some do 2-4 interview "sessions" or days).

Hi both of you! I also received invitation from UNC for interview weekend :)

Does anyone have overlaps between two or more interview visits? What do you do with it?

I also have conflicting interviews. I have UBC and UNC the same weekend. I haven't decidedc between the two yet, but am leaning towards UNC. I think you just have to prioritize the schools, and put your best foot forward at the higher priority school. Or at least that's what I'm doing.

Are you in Quant?

I also have conflicting interviews. I have UBC and UNC the same weekend. I haven't decidedc between the two yet, but am leaning towards UNC. I think you just have to prioritize the schools, and put your best foot forward at the higher priority school. Or at least that's what I'm doing.

Are you in Quant?

Yep I am in Quant. 

Will you ask to reschedule the other one or just decline it?

Yep I am in Quant. 

Will you ask to reschedule the other one or just decline it?

I'll ask to reschedule. He actually offered in his original email  saying that if the time doesn't work for me I can come up another time.

Who did you apply to at UNC?

I'll ask to reschedule. He actually offered in his original email  saying that if the time doesn't work for me I can come up another time.

Who did you apply to at UNC?

Gates, mainly. How about you?

^ I would pick the school you care less about and tell them you have a travel conflict with something you already committed to, and ask if you can Skype or come a different day/time. Keep in mind this will likely put you at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's been done successfully before :-D.

You can also try to figure out if either school has multiple interview days, and see if you can switch to the other (some do one, some do 2-4 interview "sessions" or days).

Thank you :)

I've gotten interview invites from both Princeton and UC Irvine so far. Both late January.

I haven't heard anything from UNC yet though! Hopefully Quant is just really early. :/