CU Boulder

shelbyelisha

This.  All the time.  I told my old boss that I was a philosophy major and she went, "ooh! I can show you my philosophy!" She rolled up her sleeve to show tattoos of different Chinese characters..."this one is love, peace, harmony, acceptance..."

That's lovely and all, but that's so far away from what I'm doing by studying philosophy...

Plot twist: you then roll up your sleeve and reveal a tattoo that reads "1. The world is all that is the case. 1.1 The world is the totality of facts not things ..."

Plot twist: you then roll up your sleeve and reveal a tattoo that reads "1. The world is all that is the case. 1.1 The world is the totality of facts not things ..."

The stories I've heard about the Cult of Wittgenstein, I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there did in fact tattoo part of the Tractatus on themself...

Clearly I'm going to have to get a killer philosophy tattoo just in case this scenario presents itself again.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard back from Boulder about GRE fees yet?  Last we spoke, the secretary said she would contact me when they had made a decision.  I don't want to pester her, but it's been more than a month now, and I could really really use the $20...

Has anyone heard back from Boulder about GRE fees yet?  Last we spoke, the secretary said she would contact me when they had made a decision.  I don't want to pester her, but it's been more than a month now, and I could really really use the $20...

I haven't heard. And I thought it was $25?

Interesting news for you folks, and reading between the lines might give some answers as to exactly what happened.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/features/chancellors-corner-philosophy-department-culture-change-starts-naming-new-chair

Wow. Thanks for the article. Sounds like something pretty serious happened, but that they are taking the necessary steps to avoid a catastrophe of McGinn-like proportions. 

Some standout selections:

Fifteen reported cases, imagine how many unreported

"There have been at least 15 complaints that have been filed with ODH, and a significant number of faculty and graduate students have directly witnessed or been subjected to this harassment and inappropriate sexualized unprofessional behavior. We observed that many faculty members are not knowledgeable about the harms of sexual harassment on the person being harassed, on all women in the department, and on all department members through the extreme negative effect this behavior has on the department climate."

No Kidding

"The female graduate students report being anxious, demoralized, and depressed. Some female students report that they avoid working with some faculty members because of things that they have heard about those faculty members. Some female students report avoiding working with faculty members because they directly witnessed or were subjected to this harassment and inappropriate sexualized unprofessional behavior. There was and is a lack of support for students who lost their advisors or instructors due to sanctions. The female graduate students would like more women in the department but they cannot recommend this department as a good place to come."

An all too familiar phenomenon

"The Department uses pseudo-‐philosophical analyses to avoid directly addressing the situation. Their faculty discussions revolve around the letter rather than the spirit of proposed regulations and standards. They spend too much time articulating (or trying to articulate) the line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior instead of instilling higher expectations for professional behavior. They spend significant time debating footnotes and “what if” scenarios instead of discussing what they want their department to look and feel like. In other words, they spend time figuring out how to get around regulations rather than focusing on how to make the department supportive of women and family-‐friendly."

Talk about oblivious

"As we were putting this report together, we became aware of a proposal for a departmental spring retreat. We would like to use this proposal to illustrate what must happen for this unit to become functional again. The proposal in part is as follows: “The idea is that we’ll have a full day of talks in Boulder on Friday, and then head to a house or two in the mountains (in the Vail/Beaver Creek/Avon/Edwards area) for Friday, Saturday, and perhaps Sunday nights. There will be unscheduled time Saturday during the day, with more talks Saturday late afternoon/early evening.” While we are very supportive of the idea of departmental retreats, in the light of this department’s history, all events, including retreats, need to be held during business hours (9-­‐5) and on campus or near campus in public venues. The proposed departmental spring retreat is an exemplar for a family-­‐unfriendly event. Under no circumstances should this department (or any other) be organizing the social calendars of its members. Under no circumstances should this department sponsor or be affiliated in any way with an event that includes alcohol.

[...]

To be perfectly honest, we are floored that members of this department would believe that having another mountain event would be a good idea, given the unprofessional behavior that transpired at the last one." [Emphasis mine]

Some standout selections:

Fifteen reported cases, imagine how many unreported

"There have been at least 15 complaints that have been filed with ODH, and a significant number of faculty and graduate students have directly witnessed or been subjected to this harassment and inappropriate sexualized unprofessional behavior. We observed that many faculty members are not knowledgeable about the harms of sexual harassment on the person being harassed, on all women in the department, and on all department members through the extreme negative effect this behavior has on the department climate."

No Kidding

"The female graduate students report being anxious, demoralized, and depressed. Some female students report that they avoid working with some faculty members because of things that they have heard about those faculty members. Some female students report avoiding working with faculty members because they directly witnessed or were subjected to this harassment and inappropriate sexualized unprofessional behavior. There was and is a lack of support for students who lost their advisors or instructors due to sanctions. The female graduate students would like more women in the department but they cannot recommend this department as a good place to come."

An all too familiar phenomenon

"The Department uses pseudo-‐philosophical analyses to avoid directly addressing the situation. Their faculty discussions revolve around the letter rather than the spirit of proposed regulations and standards. They spend too much time articulating (or trying to articulate) the line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior instead of instilling higher expectations for professional behavior. They spend significant time debating footnotes and “what if” scenarios instead of discussing what they want their department to look and feel like. In other words, they spend time figuring out how to get around regulations rather than focusing on how to make the department supportive of women and family-‐friendly."

Talk about oblivious

"As we were putting this report together, we became aware of a proposal for a departmental spring retreat. We would like to use this proposal to illustrate what must happen for this unit to become functional again. The proposal in part is as follows: “The idea is that we’ll have a full day of talks in Boulder on Friday, and then head to a house or two in the mountains (in the Vail/Beaver Creek/Avon/Edwards area) for Friday, Saturday, and perhaps Sunday nights. There will be unscheduled time Saturday during the day, with more talks Saturday late afternoon/early evening.” While we are very supportive of the idea of departmental retreats, in the light of this department’s history, all events, including retreats, need to be held during business hours (9-­‐5) and on campus or near campus in public venues. The proposed departmental spring retreat is an exemplar for a family-­‐unfriendly event. Under no circumstances should this department (or any other) be organizing the social calendars of its members. Under no circumstances should this department sponsor or be affiliated in any way with an event that includes alcohol.

[...]

To be perfectly honest, we are floored that members of this department would believe that having another mountain event would be a good idea, given the unprofessional behavior that transpired at the last one." [Emphasis mine]

Wow! This is the first I'm hearing of this. Though of course I was speculating... crazy. As a woman I am so glad I didn't end up applying. Thanks for sharing.

One thing that I keep hearing, the longer I'm in the discipline, is that "everyone knows" or it's "common knowledge" that this person or that place is known for bad behaviour. But, to be honest, I don't really know how one gets into the "know" circles, except perhaps given lots of time and a research-active career (which hardly seems to include "everyone"). So I find it really surprising to hear things like this, from the report (although TBH, the whole thing came as surprise):

"The reputation of the CU Boulder Philosophy Department as a place extremely unfriendly to women is well known in philosophical circles and among prospective  graduate students."

You're almost all prospectives. Were you aware of Boulder's problems?

One thing that I keep hearing, the longer I'm in the discipline, is that "everyone knows" or it's "common knowledge" that this person or that place is known for bad behaviour. But, to be honest, I don't really know how one gets into the "know" circles, except perhaps given lots of time and a research-active career (which hardly seems to include "everyone"). So I find it really surprising to hear things like this, from the report (although TBH, the whole thing came as surprise):

"The reputation of the CU Boulder Philosophy Department as a place extremely unfriendly to women is well known in philosophical circles and among prospective  graduate students."

I wasn't aware of it until now. I actually have no idea which departments are known for inappropriate behavior.

I've heard some rumors about boulder, but nothing beyond that. I do know a few other departments that have less than stellar reputations for climate for women also. But I learned in these in the past two years, after having frank discussions with my advisors about this sort of thing. I can't imagine "everybody" knows about this sort of thing either. 

No.

My letter-writers obviously all knew I was planning on applying there, and no one said anything about it to me. So I'd hope they also did not know...

I'm female and CU was my top choice.  I had absolutely no idea anything like this was going on, and I am very close with my letter writers, so if they had known, they would have told me.  I'm so glad I dodged that bullet.

MattDest, you mentioned you've heard of other Phil departments having less than desirable atmospheres for women. Would you (or anyone) mind saying which schools a women may want to avoid, or could you provide some kind of link for me to learn more on this? As a women applicant, I want to make sure I end up in a department I am comfortable in.

MattDest, you mentioned you've heard of other Phil departments having less than desirable atmospheres for women. Would you (or anyone) mind saying which schools a women may want to avoid, or could you provide some kind of link for me to learn more on this? As a women applicant, I want to make sure I end up in a department I am comfortable in.

I second this.

Also, why is CU graded so high on the PGR? Their philosophy program is clearly a mess and apparently has been for some time.  This makes me really distrust the PGR...