Clinical/Counseling Psychology Doctoral Applicants - Fall 2014

SweetSam

Does anyone have any information on UMaryland-College Park Counseling PhD? I saw on results search that someone received an e-mail from their POI with a rejection? Can that person PLEASE let me know who it was and if you e-mailed them first, or if it was unsolicited? Also, any info on that program would be great, whether it be your POI, or when you were notified of rejection and how? As you can tell, this is a top program for me and I haven't heard anything.. the hope is dwindling.

Does anyone have any information on UMaryland-College Park Counseling PhD? I saw on results search that someone received an e-mail from their POI with a rejection? Can that person PLEASE let me know who it was and if you e-mailed them first, or if it was unsolicited? Also, any info on that program would be great, whether it be your POI, or when you were notified of rejection and how? As you can tell, this is a top program for me and I haven't heard anything.. the hope is dwindling.

As far as I know they have extended all the interview invitations. The interview is next week so if you haven't heard yet, I'd say you are out of luck. That said, why don't you still email your POI and ask about it?

As far as I know they have extended all the interview invitations. The interview is next week so if you haven't heard yet, I'd say you are out of luck. That said, why don't you still email your POI and ask about it?

I've heard that's taboo. At this point though, I guess I have nothing to lose. What do I say? Just something along the lines of asking if he has sent all his invites out?

I've heard that's taboo. At this point though, I guess I have nothing to lose. What do I say? Just something along the lines of asking if he has sent all his invites out?

I would keep it brief, restating your committed interest in the program and his research, and that you are waiting to hear back for any updates.

It's important to realize that nothing is a "safety" for clinical programs, in the sense that nobody is ever "overqualified" to work with a certain professor. I also don't think the admissions process is a "crapshoot". I just feel like we all need to step out of that high school/undergrad view and realize this is an entirely different ballgame. Yes, the programs are ranked, but that probably means way less than undergrad rankings, and even those are questionable. And some of the objective "qualifications" used for admissions, such as GRE and GPA, matter significantly less than people expect. Even if your "qualifications" were above average, that doesn't mean you were a strong applicant for that program/professor aside from those objective qualifications. It's also entirely possible that the professor you applied to work with gets the strongest applicants in the program because he/she is most well-known... so while you had stronger "qualifications" than the general applicant pool, maybe they weren't strong compared to his/her applicants.

I got an interview at a top psych program and rejected for a lower ranking one, but it was probably because my research interest EXACTLY matched the professor at the high ranking program, while the lower ranking program was more heavily focused on clinical, and I was more interested in research- and my research didn't perfectly align with the professor. That doesn't mean I think I was overqualified for the other program- clearly I would have gotten an interview if the prof/program was interested in having me- and at the end of the day, the program/POI rejected me.

I just think this is an important- and very different- mindset than what people are used to. I also think programs/POIs/students can pick up any sense of "this program isn't good enough for me", and that sometimes, that is what does people in.

I just found this site today, and I have to say that it looks like a great resource.  Anyhoot, it's funny that you guys were using Eastern Michigan as an example as it's one of the schools I have an interview at.  It's by far not the most prestigious school around, but qualifications aside my application reads as a perfect fit for their program and with the prof. with whom I applied. I just had a phone interview yesterday with another school and the prof was afraid of their research population and their program focus not being the best fit with my goals.  I think that fit maybe is a little more important than amazing qualifications. 

Oh, and good luck to anybody still waiting.  I'm still waiting to see if U of Washington and SIU Carbondale have sent out invitations yet.

I'm getting depressed.  I have heard absolutely nothing from any of the schools that I have applied to, so I am really upset.  I applied to 7 schools, have competitive grades and scores, research experience, article being submitted for publication, and nada.  I am wondering at this point if I should just give up and forget about it and start exploring MA and MS programs and rethink the PhD programs until I get my Masters.

Does hearing nothing (not even a rejection) mean that I am just out of the competition at this point, or does it just mean that I may have to wait until a second round of interviews?  People who get accepted to multiple schools have multiple offers to decline, so that re-opens spots and it doesn't necessarily mean that those of us suffering the silence are out of the running, does it?

Any thoughts?

Really wondering if my age is a factor that is ruling me out.

Thanks.

I'm getting depressed.  I have heard absolutely nothing from any of the schools that I have applied to, so I am really upset.  I applied to 7 schools, have competitive grades and scores, research experience, article being submitted for publication, and nada.  I am wondering at this point if I should just give up and forget about it and start exploring MA and MS programs and rethink the PhD programs until I get my Masters.

Does hearing nothing (not even a rejection) mean that I am just out of the competition at this point, or does it just mean that I may have to wait until a second round of interviews?  People who get accepted to multiple schools have multiple offers to decline, so that re-opens spots and it doesn't necessarily mean that those of us suffering the silence are out of the running, does it?

Any thoughts?

Really wondering if my age is a factor that is ruling me out.

Thanks.

Have the schools you're applying to already sent out interview invitations? If they have I think that an email (or even telephone) inquiry to the department/admissions secretary couldn't hurt. That's how I got my rejection; otherwise I'd still be waiting to hear anything!

Also, schools usually value life experience, especially for a discipline like Counseling Psych! Did you apply to Clinical or Counseling?

Have the schools you're applying to already sent out interview invitations? If they have I think that an email (or even telephone) inquiry to the department/admissions secretary couldn't hurt. That's how I got my rejection; otherwise I'd still be waiting to hear anything!

Also, schools usually value life experience, especially for a discipline like Counseling Psych! Did you apply to Clinical or Counseling?

Thanks!

Some have, some have not yet sent the interviews.  I was at an open house on Wednesday at one of my primary schools (Counseling Psych), they said that they would have all invitations for interviews out by Monday, so I am assuming I'm not being invited...I have applied to both Clinical and Counseling programs.  Counseling is my preference, but the programs are really hard to find! 

I checked that I would like to be considered for Masters programs if not accepted to PhD programs at the schools that offered that option, and I know the Masters process doesn't go full swing til March...I'm just wondering if I should send out more apps for Masters since the Phd cycle isn't going well for me.

I did have an impromptu mini interview with several faculty and the department chair on Wednesday, I really thought it went well and was hopeful that I would be contacted for a formal interview, but if Monday is the cutoff, it's not looking too good.  :(

They stated 94 applicants, 6 open spots, with 4 Masters from their internal program applying, so I am assuming that equates to 2 open spots...  sigh.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks!

Some have, some have not yet sent the interviews.  I was at an open house on Wednesday at one of my primary schools (Counseling Psych), they said that they would have all invitations for interviews out by Monday, so I am assuming I'm not being invited...I have applied to both Clinical and Counseling programs.  Counseling is my preference, but the programs are really hard to find! 

I checked that I would like to be considered for Masters programs if not accepted to PhD programs at the schools that offered that option, and I know the Masters process doesn't go full swing til March...I'm just wondering if I should send out more apps for Masters since the Phd cycle isn't going well for me.

I did have an impromptu mini interview with several faculty and the department chair on Wednesday, I really thought it went well and was hopeful that I would be contacted for a formal interview, but if Monday is the cutoff, it's not looking too good.  :(

They stated 94 applicants, 6 open spots, with 4 Masters from their internal program applying, so I am assuming that equates to 2 open spots...  sigh.

Thanks for your reply!

Nah, don't give up hope yet! I had a school call me to tell me I was invited for an interview on a Friday and promise to email me with details on Monday... took me a week to get the details. And for schools who will consider you for Master's programs they usually send you a note telling you that you didn't make the cut but will be considered for a Master's. No reason to lose hope yet! Good luck! :)

Nah, don't give up hope yet! I had a school call me to tell me I was invited for an interview on a Friday and promise to email me with details on Monday... took me a week to get the details. And for schools who will consider you for Master's programs they usually send you a note telling you that you didn't make the cut but will be considered for a Master's. No reason to lose hope yet! Good luck! :)

Thank you!  I really appreciate the encouragement!

If it helps anyone, these are the places I've heard have given/invited interviews or have gotten one at:

Ohio State, Ohio University, Louisville, Arkansas, Central Florida, South Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Misourri: St Louis, Indiana, SUNY Buffalo, Kentucky, Kent State

I applied to 17 Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs and haven't gotten any interviews. Will schools automatically consider me for the masters degree if they are rejecting me for the Ph.D.? I can't remember whether I checked a box saying that they should...

Does anyone know of a list of top clinical psychology masters degree programs? I have read really mixed things about how helpful it is to get a masters degree first. I have looked for rankings in order to get a sense of which programs would enhance my competitiveness and am having a hard time figuring this out. Any ideas?

I live in the DC area and would prefer to stay local for a masters, but would consider moving. 

I went to a top five undergraduate university, had decent (but not outstanding) grades, high GRE scores, and decent research experience. I'm wondering how much a masters would help.

Hi,

I am planning to apply to a Phd in Clinical psychology in fall 2015. I was wondering if any of you worked with an admission counsler which you were satisfied with? (Im not from the US and will need help with my SOP etc.)

Thanks,

Na'ama