Clinical/Counseling Psychology Doctoral Applicants - Fall 2014

SweetSam

Hey guys, I have a question about how to request interview from the faculty I am interested in working with. I wrote to an admission assistant, and she replied that  "The faculty prefer that I don't give out information about interviews. For information about interviews you should contact the faculty you are interested in working with." I wonder whether and how I could directly request the faculty for an interview chance?

I am a Chinese student...Afraid that there are quite few chances for me to enter a USA clinical program...

According to SDN/gradcafe Berkeley posts, it seems quite clear that Berkeley must have sent most (if not all) of their invites, usually after preliminary phone or skype interviews, before January 17th.  It is further supported by the fact that no one at all posted about Berkeley on January 17th.  :(

Things are too quiet...is everyone getting discouraged or is it just me?

Well nothing happens on the weekend, and doesn't seem to on Monday either. Things should be happening later this week. Or today if we're lucky! ;)

Just to let everyone know who are still waiting to hear from DC area schools American, Catholic, UMD, Mason, etc. are all closed today for a SNOW day!!!! So my guess is we will not be hearing anything more from them today. I know American told me last week that they were going to finish sending out interview invites THIS week, but who knows now. 

Just to let everyone know who are still waiting to hear from DC area schools American, Catholic, UMD, Mason, etc. are all closed today for a SNOW day!!!! So my guess is we will not be hearing anything more from them today. I know American told me last week that they were going to finish sending out interview invites THIS week, but who knows now. 

Ahhhh this adds to my anxiety lol. Anybody else waiting for on campus interview invitation from Maryland for counseling psychology program? I had my pre-screenining phone interview and am waiting for my onsite interview invitation...

Ahhhh this adds to my anxiety lol. Anybody else waiting for on campus interview invitation from Maryland for counseling psychology program? I had my pre-screenining phone interview and am waiting for my onsite interview invitation...

I'm still waiting for a pre-screening phone interview! I PM'd you about your POI/the interview if you don't mind sharing

I just wanted to say I thought the posts on the results page about Eastern Michigan were hilarious.  Especially "#upyourseastern!".  I didn't even apply to this school, but I think we all know what it feels like to have really good grades from good universities and then get rejected from a school that sounds so below you simply because you are applying to a Ph.D. in clinical psychology.  I do at least!

I just wanted to say I thought the posts on the results page about Eastern Michigan were hilarious.  Especially "#upyourseastern!".  I didn't even apply to this school, but I think we all know what it feels like to have really good grades from good universities and then get rejected from a school that sounds so below you simply because you are applying to a Ph.D. in clinical psychology.  I do at least!

Lol! Though I didn't apply to Eastern Michigan -- that (being rejected from a school you seem overqualified for...just because it is clinical) happened to me! Literally, my safety school was the first to reject me! My qualifications were above and beyond them...a few weeks later I got an interview from a top program. I never believed what people said--that clinical admissions was a crapshoot--till then!

Lol! Though I didn't apply to Eastern Michigan -- that (being rejected from a school you seem overqualified for...just because it is clinical) happened to me! Literally, my safety school was the first to reject me! My qualifications were above and beyond them...a few weeks later I got an interview from a top program. I never believed what people said--that clinical admissions was a crapshoot--till then!

It's important to realize that nothing is a "safety" for clinical programs, in the sense that nobody is ever "overqualified" to work with a certain professor. I also don't think the admissions process is a "crapshoot". I just feel like we all need to step out of that high school/undergrad view and realize this is an entirely different ballgame. Yes, the programs are ranked, but that probably means way less than undergrad rankings, and even those are questionable. And some of the objective "qualifications" used for admissions, such as GRE and GPA, matter significantly less than people expect. Even if your "qualifications" were above average, that doesn't mean you were a strong applicant for that program/professor aside from those objective qualifications. It's also entirely possible that the professor you applied to work with gets the strongest applicants in the program because he/she is most well-known... so while you had stronger "qualifications" than the general applicant pool, maybe they weren't strong compared to his/her applicants.

I got an interview at a top psych program and rejected for a lower ranking one, but it was probably because my research interest EXACTLY matched the professor at the high ranking program, while the lower ranking program was more heavily focused on clinical, and I was more interested in research- and my research didn't perfectly align with the professor. That doesn't mean I think I was overqualified for the other program- clearly I would have gotten an interview if the prof/program was interested in having me- and at the end of the day, the program/POI rejected me.

I just think this is an important- and very different- mindset than what people are used to. I also think programs/POIs/students can pick up any sense of "this program isn't good enough for me", and that sometimes, that is what does people in.

And some of the objective "qualifications" used for admissions, such as GRE and GPA, matter significantly less than people expect

Haha.....It weighed more then 5 yrs of experience.....and some articles published

It's important to realize that nothing is a "safety" for clinical programs, in the sense that nobody is ever "overqualified" to work with a certain professor. I also don't think the admissions process is a "crapshoot". I just feel like we all need to step out of that high school/undergrad view and realize this is an entirely different ballgame. Yes, the programs are ranked, but that probably means way less than undergrad rankings, and even those are questionable. And some of the objective "qualifications" used for admissions, such as GRE and GPA, matter significantly less than people expect. Even if your "qualifications" were above average, that doesn't mean you were a strong applicant for that program/professor aside from those objective qualifications. It's also entirely possible that the professor you applied to work with gets the strongest applicants in the program because he/she is most well-known... so while you had stronger "qualifications" than the general applicant pool, maybe they weren't strong compared to his/her applicants.

I got an interview at a top psych program and rejected for a lower ranking one, but it was probably because my research interest EXACTLY matched the professor at the high ranking program, while the lower ranking program was more heavily focused on clinical, and I was more interested in research- and my research didn't perfectly align with the professor. That doesn't mean I think I was overqualified for the other program- clearly I would have gotten an interview if the prof/program was interested in having me- and at the end of the day, the program/POI rejected me.

I just think this is an important- and very different- mindset than what people are used to. I also think programs/POIs/students can pick up any sense of "this program isn't good enough for me", and that sometimes, that is what does people in.

We agree more than disagree. A few things were not clearly communicated because I was being concise:

1) I said "...getting rejected from a school you SEEM overqualified for," (vs. ...school you ARE overqualified for). Which simply means, based on scores alone, holding everything else constant, you guess that your app will be competitive in that applicant pool.

2) I don't think there is a safety school, either. However, among the list of schools to which you're applying, you probably consider some more of a stretch than others (e.g. Yale vs. North Dakota State). Hence, the shorthand term "safety school," used to describe those schools you see as yielding a higher probability of admission (vs. guaranteed admission)--provided your research interests are equally compatible with the POI's from each school.

3) By crapshoot I do not mean arbitrary, but difficult to predict when and where you will be admitted. Sometimes the most unlikely of candidates will get into Some Really Big Deal School because his/her POI sees him/her as a good match. After you have crossed a certain minimal threshold for scores (to where you can reasonably assume your app won't be eliminated in the first round based on qualifications), you may think your interests are a perfect match for a certain POI, but how that POI actually perceives you, as far as a match, can be surprisingly different from what you anticipated--hence getting into schools you did not anticipate and being rejected quickly from ones you considered more plausible.

Haha.....It weighed more then 5 yrs of experience.....and some articles published

Exactly my point for crapshoot! There are no gaureentees!

Edited by green90

Yep - lottery.

When reading some articles by actual doctoral students I think - I'm not worse.......mmmm GPA 3.88....problem is GRE? =((( HEck

I see you're from Russia--if English isn't your first language, that could make the GRE more difficult. And I thought I read on some program webpages that they take such things into account (if they are aware of them). I could be wrong--I'm not too knowledgeable on international applicant processes!

I'd say - the problem is they lay on the verbal GRE. Even reading loads of psych articles (as I'm working as a lecturer now, so - I have to read) have nothing in common with preparing to the GRE verbal - quite different vocab. High TOEFL doesn't help. And spmetimes it is hard to move through the very first shift when they sometimes do not even read your papers - just sort you out checking your GPA/GRE

Also, I'm aware that interviews have been sent out for GWU, but I've also read on the forum that the university has notified people of rejections, via e-mail/website.  My application still says "under review".  Does this indicate a difference in status?

Also, I'm aware that interviews have been sent out for GWU, but I've also read on the forum that the university has notified people of rejections, via e-mail/website.  My application still says "under review".  Does this indicate a difference in status?

I noticed the same. I just assumed there is some sort of interview waitlist.