Clinical/Counseling Psychology Doctoral Applicants - Fall 2014

SweetSam

I don't know much about the admissions process for other psych programs, but I thought it would be helpful to have one thread limited to clinical/counseling doctoral applicants. I'm assuming most deadlines have passed, so now we wait... 

I, of course, mapped out when I should expect to hear from programs based on information from TGC and SDN :mellow: . I'm not expecting to hear until early January. What is everyone doing to pass the time? I currently work for a school district, so after this week, I'm off for about 2 weeks. I need to find something to do to keep myself busy  :unsure:

I'm crossing my fingers for UCSB, from which people have already started to receive interview invitations. I'll just keep myself away from my laptop for now, or I would refresh my email and result search page every minute. I got so anxious today that I cleaned the house, did the dishes and the laundry, and went to the gym... 

I haven't heard from any of my schools yet. I imagine I won't hear until early January, but I can't help but worry interviews are already going out! The results board is reassuring that that isn't the case, though.  :) NYtoDMV, you should post what schools you applied to in your signature, as well as how many interviews you've gotten. I've found that's helpful when you see someone who applied to the same school, but still has a '?' in the interview portion of their signature.

I'm just trying not to check my email all day, every day! Doing activities with friends, trying not to think about it. This part is almost as stressful as the applications! Hope you both enjoy a wonderful, stress-free holiday!

Some of my apps aren't due until early January.  I haven't been stressing about when I'll hear something.  As long as I know they received everything on time then there is no point in constantly refreshing my email.  I'm passing the time working on a research project, continuing my volunteer projects, and preparing for a new job that will start next month.

I updated my signature. So far, I've only heard that one person received an invite from a school that I applied to. We don't have the same POI and I haven't seen a post from anyone else, so I assume that their POI likes to get things started quickly.  Based on previous years, most of the programs I applied to will be extending invites early-mid January. 

I haven't heard from any of my schools yet. I imagine I won't hear until early January, but I can't help but worry interviews are already going out! The results board is reassuring that that isn't the case, though.  :) NYtoDMV, you should post what schools you applied to in your signature, as well as how many interviews you've gotten. I've found that's helpful when you see someone who applied to the same school, but still has a '?' in the interview portion of their signature.

I'm just trying not to check my email all day, every day! Doing activities with friends, trying not to think about it. This part is almost as stressful as the applications! Hope you both enjoy a wonderful, stress-free holiday!

This early in the process, I would assume that it means that the admissions department sent your application to the respective department for review. 

I applied to mostly clinical psych programs, and a dual social work/clinical program (Michigan) as well as one developmental program (Illinois). I HATE THIS WAITING GAME, but this page is almost as comforting as Netflix.

Does anyone know if it means anything if your status changes to "referred to the academic department for an admissions recommendation?" Or is that just standard? 

I updated my signature. So far, I've only heard that one person received an invite from a school that I applied to. We don't have the same POI and I haven't seen a post from anyone else, so I assume that their POI likes to get things started quickly.  Based on previous years, most of the programs I applied to will be extending invites early-mid January. 

I go to College Park myself and my boss who's in the clinical dept said he expects to hold interviews the last week of jan

I go to College Park myself and my boss who's in the clinical dept said he expects to hold interviews the last week of jan

Do you have any leads on the counseling psychology program?

Edited by denimfan

Do you have any leads on the counseling psychology program?

I applied to/interviewed for College Park's counseling psych program a couple years ago (and didn't get in) but I received a personalized email from the POI in late January and their interviews are typically held in mid-late Feb. Applied again this year and haven't heard back yet, but it's still somewhat early.

I applied to/interviewed for College Park's counseling psych program a couple years ago (and didn't get in) but I received a personalized email from the POI in late January and their interviews are typically held in mid-late Feb. Applied again this year and haven't heard back yet, but it's still somewhat early.

Thanks for the info. How was your experience from last cycle? I know that the interview this year will be on feb 7th as it is stated on the website. I'm getting anxious as it's a month before the interview date and their pre-interview invites should be rolling in anytime soon!

Thanks for the info. How was your experience from last cycle? I know that the interview this year will be on feb 7th as it is stated on the website. I'm getting anxious as it's a month before the interview date and their pre-interview invites should be rolling in anytime soon!

When I interviewed there were two individual interviews and a group interview, as well as an informal dinner at one of the professor's house with faculty, current students, and applicants. Overall it was a pleasant experience and all of my questions were answered, however my POI brought four students to the interview and only took one.

Applied to College Park  too.

I'm anxious as my GRE is weak. Really pity if they make their first shift only according to the test data.

4 years of field-work experience and some papers don't help at all =(

Edited by Psykir

I have a question to whomever made the post on the Results Search about interview invites all being sent out for Wisconsin - Milwaukee (clinical). Or maybe it's a general question to people with experience with this:

I have seen posts on the results search as "rejected - all interview invitations have been sent out" and say that they were notified via email. I'm just wondering what form those emails take. I.E. is it someone emailing the secretary and she breaks the bad news personally, or are they mass emails, like "all interview invitations have been sent out, if you have not received one you are no longer under consideration, blah blah blah" ?

Does anyone know if all invites from the University of Miami (Florida) have been sent out? I've seen a couple on the results board, but the program hasn't responded to my inquiries yet :wacko: the waiting is going to my head!

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know if all invites from the University of Miami (Florida) have been sent out? I've seen a couple on the results board, but the program hasn't responded to my inquiries yet :wacko: the waiting is going to my head!

Good luck to everyone!

I work at the University of Miami (Florida) and invites are definitely still going out. Good luck! :)

Applied to College Park  too.

I'm anxious as my GRE is weak. Really pity if they make their first shift only according to the test data.

4 years of field-work experience and some papers don't help at all =(

If you applied to UMD's Clinical program here's your answer: 

"All applications are reviewed by at least one faculty member regardless of how low or high you score on the GRE or your GPA. However, the Clinical Program at Maryland is highly competitive......"

Here's the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/42ogv4xxo1zu0rs/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

I hope that helps ease some nerves!!! Good luck! 

Also, the psychology department FAQ page says something along the same lines which applies to all of the programs (counseling, etc.) 

Edited by hm5400a