Clinical/Counseling Psychology Doctoral Applicants - Fall 2014

SweetSam

Well, now that I've gotten an interview invite, I'm beginning to prepare myself for this next step.

Does anyone know if Counseling Psych interviews are ran any different than Clinical programs? It just seems that most of the posted experience with interviews is coming from Clinical applicants.

I know each program varies, but I sure wish I knew things like how many invitations my POI sent out. Also, wondering if it will be a lot of questioning like a "try-out" or more of an informal sanity check like many have mentioned. 

Any experience with Counseling Psych interviews would be great :)

SP30

I know each program varies, but I sure wish I knew things like how many invitations my POI sent out. Also, wondering if it will be a lot of questioning like a "try-out" or more of an informal sanity check like many have mentioned.

Congrats! For my interview I straight-up asked the person who called me how many people were invited and how many spots there were. That should give you a good idea if it's a soft acceptance or not. My feeling is that for Counseling it's probably still competitive, but that your chances just went up to about 25% from 2-3%. As for the interview I would focus on showing the department that you are a good fit. It's also very important to get along with the grad students! Never overlook that!

If you applied to UMD's Clinical program here's your answer: 

"All applications are reviewed by at least one faculty member regardless of how low or high you score on the GRE or your GPA. However, the Clinical Program at Maryland is highly competitive......"

Here's the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/42ogv4xxo1zu0rs/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

I hope that helps ease some nerves!!! Good luck! 

Also, the psychology department FAQ page says something along the same lines which applies to all of the programs (counseling, etc.) 

"All applications are reviewed by at least one faculty member regardless of how low or high you score on the GRE or your GPA. However, the Clinical Program at Maryland is highly competitive......"

Here's the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/42ogv4xxo1zu0rs/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

Also, the psychology department FAQ page says something along the same lines which applies to all of the programs (counseling, etc.) 

who was your poi for umd? i know most of the faculty

I am also playing the "waiting game" for programs. I have only heard from one so far.... 

Same here! I thought that would settle me down a little, but I was right back to panic-mode afterwards! Almost immediately after I started thinking,"what if that's the only interview I'm offered?!" which certainly didn't help. :P

Do we think it's bad news if we haven't gotten an interview invite yet? The results forum tells me that 4/15 of my schools has sent theirs out so far, and we can't be sure that everyone who gets an invite is posting regardless. =/

I'd say bad news for the schools where interview invitations went out and you didn't receive one... especially if it has been more than 3 days since the invites were sent.

However, for schools where invites haven't gone out to anyone, I think you're just fine!

eta: 3 business days!

Edited by iphi

Do we think it's bad news if we haven't gotten an interview invite yet? The results forum tells me that 4/15 of my schools has sent theirs out so far, and we can't be sure that everyone who gets an invite is posting regardless. =/

Sometimes it depends on how the program does their invites. If POIs are reviewing applications individually, they may be contacting applicants at different times. I think it's still early enough to be hopeful :-)

Any word on u of maryland college parks counseling psych program? I saw that clinical program already sent out invites.

I only see one from UMD for clinical...you sure they sent out invites?

I only see one from UMD for clinical...you sure they sent out invites?

I applied to clinical. I emailed yesterday since some invites went out over a week ago. They have extended all invites :-(

Well, now that I've gotten an interview invite, I'm beginning to prepare myself for this next step.

Does anyone know if Counseling Psych interviews are ran any different than Clinical programs? It just seems that most of the posted experience with interviews is coming from Clinical applicants.

Any experience with Counseling Psych interviews would be great :)

SP30

Hey I see that you applied to many of the schools I did...have you heard from Colorado State, University of North Texas or Missouri?

Hey I see that you applied to many of the schools I did...have you heard from Colorado State, University of North Texas or Missouri?

the university of north texas already sent out all of their invites according to their website.

Can the person who got the call from Boston college for counseling psychology phd share some info? E.g. Poi or dct,

I'm not the person who posted on the results board, but I also received a call from Boston College's Counseling Psych program today. My POI extended me an interview invite for 2/10 or 2/11. I did not receive any specific information about the interview over the phone, but I believe an admin assistant will be emailing me soon with more info.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley's clinical psych program - they said e-mails will be sent today! Has anyone received any fantastic news yet?

A few of us have been discussing this exact topic on another thread:

It's approximately 1:30 p.m. there, so it's definitely a wonder why no one's heard anything...