Finding a Bang Buddy in Grad School?

Loric

@joeyboy718 I / @Gnome Chomsky, do you think you've put your best foot forward on this BB any better than Pinkster12? You've indicated that you were in the armed forces, but then where is your situational awareness?

What about your situational awareness? Everything that you've put out on here is just.. tiring. It's long, it's drawn out, it's contrite, and it's got a stick so firmly wedged up it's butt that any sense of joy is long since drained away. Even your signature, it's like. "Ugh.. I can't.."

I may be cranky and tear into people, but I at least have moments of joy. Where is your joy? I'm starting to think you've none.

I know, right?

Why don't the "don't be hating on sex workers" and the "god forbid two consenting adults have sex" people duke it out and let the rest of us discuss the topic at hand.

They can have a hand-wring-off. First one to reach bone wins!

I really am like a little worried now I mean ok I have read that adcoms don't really go out of their way to look at FB and stuff I mean it would take a lot more time I would think to search someone especially when you have thousands of applicants idk 

Well, thousands aren't so much the right figure.. from my understanding.. more like a decent draw program sees around 600 or so. I dont know why my brain is saying 600, but I swear I read that number somewhere.

If you're really worried you can google yourself. It's free and easy.

I checked myself, i'm fine. For a long time - most of undergrad - my job was data research. I have no fear of a random prof or adcomm being able to search more diligently around the net than I am able to do.

Edited by Loric

Now, having said "google" - i'm tempted to go out and use publishing routes that are higher in the metrics of Bing and Yahoo to write horrible things about myself to see if they get any hits from some random adcom who happens to use those lesser search engines.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Now, having said "google" - i'm tempted to go out and use publishing routes that are higher in the metrics of Bing and Yahoo to write horrible things about myself to see if they get any hits from some random adcom who happens to use those lesser search engines.

Does Yahoo even exist anymore? I know Bing does because that was the default search engine when I got my Lenovo. Every now and then I'll click an app and it'll bring me to Bing.com. I don't know why that site annoys me so much. 

Just checked - yahoo is still there.

Remember when Yahoo had online multiplayer games? I miss Cosmic Consensus and Acrophobia (an acronym game, "the fear of acronyms")

Both had users vote on content and voting or winning the majority resulted in points. Cosmic Consensus asked all sorts of random questions and picking the most popular answer among like 50 people who were all playing live netted you the most points.. and Acrophobia gave a random acronym, you defined it, and then all the players voted for the "best" definition. Le sigh.. I miss those days.

Can I get a bang buddy who will rig up the internet so i can still play those games?!?

Does Yahoo even exist anymore? I know Bing does because that was the default search engine when I got my Lenovo. Every now and then I'll click an app and it'll bring me to Bing.com. I don't know why that site annoys me so much. 

Genetically-retained predisposition to dislike Microsoft.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Genetically-retained predisposition to dislike Microsoft.

Well, I like Microsoft. I have Windows 8 on my Lenovo, use Visual Studio to program, and hope to intern at Microsoft during grad school. Well, I guess I like variety. I have a Google/Android phone, Windows/Ubuntu-split laptop, and an iPad. And, in the spirit of the band buddy thread, to quote Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest, "I like em black, white, yellow, Puerto Rican or Haitian." 

Aw man, I was so looking forward to reading people's hook-up stories in grad school. Unfortunately I don't have any as I've just started grad school otherwise I'd offer advice, but I have none.  :(

I think after dealing with undergrads and their stupidity (for the most part), that's an instant turn-off. I find it hard to meet other grad students outside of my department as I haven't seen any sort of grad mixers going on at my school. :/

Great thread. Not sure why some people think it's inappropriate to discuss. As liberal as academia generally is... really? Stop making grad school out to be some soul-crushing convent where different standards apply than to the rest of society. Professionalism is one thing, but geeze.