De-stress playlist: post a song!!

rexzeppelin

This time of year seems to induce unavoidable anxiety for many users of this site submitting applications, and then waiting by their F5 keys for either a bomb blast or a letter from heaven.

For me listening to music is a good way to forget about it all for a few minutes and relax  B)

I thought it'd be cool to share a song you've been listening to a lot recently during the application process, to get a snapshot of GC's listening habits and maybe a little selfishly crowdsource some new music.

I'll start: 

Song

Paper Trails by Darkside

Brief Description:

The best word to describe this song would be: atmospheric, like a jazz club at the bottom of the ocean

Over the Rainbow as sung by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻolehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

This is probably the most carefree song I have on my computer, and I listen to it any time I am having an awful day. The accompaniment is a simple ukelele, and his voice is smooth and gentle. It makes me happy.

Folk Death 95 - Mogwai

@Pol - I've never heard of this group before and I am now obsessed!! Thank you for introducing me! That piece (as well as their other stuff) is AMAZING. Also, @rexzepplin thanks for starting this excellent thread!

Edited by archeostudent

The Section Quartet!  I'm also gonna go SUPER NERDY on y'all and say- a bath, wine, Shostakovitch's 5th Symphony - perfection!

But then, I'm very much a classical music nerd (and a proud one!). :-)

This is awesome. And I highly doubt you're the only classical fan on this site

@Pol - I've never heard of this group before and I am now obsessed!! Thank you for introducing me! That piece (as well as their other stuff) is AMAZING. Also, @rexzepplin thanks for starting this excellent thread!

That style is generally referred to as post-rock. It's quite amazing.

Here's a short list of bands to get you started:

God Speed You! Black Emperor

Caspian

Cloudkicker

Do Make Say Think

The Evpatoria Report

Explosions in the Sky

From Monument to Masses

Grails

Hammock

Joy Wants Eternity

Maserati

Mono

Red Sparowes

Sigur Ros

Them the Sky

This Will Destroy you

Tortoise

Yndi Halda

Edited by Pol

SO much awesome stuff on this thread!  I went to music school for 2 years before I transferred and switched to archaeology, and I sometimes get caught up in a classical music bubble.

@Pol - It's so interesting to me that these types of soundscapes, which are somewhat reminiscent of John Cage and Phillip Glass (among others) are being pioneered with non-orchestral instruments to create a whole new thing. I love it! Thank you for introducing me. You might like this, though it's very dark. It's called Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima and it's by a Polish composer named Penderecki (pronounced pen-der-et-sky). It is performed entirely by string orchestra with no sound manipulation or other effects, which is really surprising! I would listen to it without watching the video, but up to you! Fair warning- it's disturbing and it's a love it or hate it piece, usually.

@rexzepplin- I've listened to "Paper Trails" twice now, too!  This thread, seriously, you all are making my waiting game way more bearable!

Here's another favorite song of mine- it's somewhat folksy and really catchy. A somewhat different direction from what I posted earlier :-) Also, the video is super weird and entertaining.

Edited by archeostudent

^ this is great. Do you listen to Bonobo perchance? Here's a mix he did for the Late Night Tales series. The full thing is on spotify

https://soundcloud.com/latenighttales/lnt-bnb-album-mini-mix

^ this is great. Do you listen to Bonobo perchance? Here's a mix he did for the Late Night Tales series. The full thing is on spotify

https://soundcloud.com/latenighttales/lnt-bnb-album-mini-mix

Never heard of it. I'll give it a try.

I like archestudent's description of postrock as it is close to mine. I usually describe post-rock as some sort of fusion between minimalist/modern classic (Glass, Cage, Riley), ambient (reminiscent of Helios and the such) and progressive rock.

Helios:

Edited by Pol

Okay, this one is a little unusual, but everything by this band unfailingly makes me feel calm and peaceful.  I used to fall asleep listening to this in one of the lounges on my undergrad campus during exam week.

Artist: Hanggai, a Chinese+Mongolian band that blends Mongolian throat-singing technique, Mongolian folk music, and rock.

Edited by gellert

Classic song that makes me feel small...we are but a blip in the universe. Graduate school admission is negligible in the larger scope of life, existence, so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKtk3bK5yTk

And a go-to "i dont give a fuck what other people think about me" song: (Although I just found out by googling the song that it has been used in an iphone commercial so I apologize if everyone has already heard this song and is sick of it, haha!) Sleigh bells also has some more grittier songs that are good for running and getting angsty  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRnmQ-4Yp0

Edited by braaaaaiinnns

Aww Pol, I like your style. I've heard of a few of these bands here but there are many I haven't, and now you've sent me on a music spree. You ever listen to Pelican? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAzNXoSJ1A

Aww Pol, I like your style. I've heard of a few of these bands here but there are many I haven't, and now you've sent me on a music spree. You ever listen to Pelican? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAzNXoSJ1A

Be careful, that spree might never end :D

Pelican is good.

Here's a few more bands you should check out:

Pg.lost

The Twilight Sad

A Silver Mt. Zion

Set Fire to Flames

Russian Circles (post-metal?)

Maybeshewill

LITE

Industries of the Blind

God is an Astronaut

Childs

The American Dollar

Callisto

Cult of Luna

Isis

Old Man Gloom

Mouth of the Architect

Lift to Experience

Echoes From Jupiter

The list goes on but that should keep you busy a few months.

and here's Leech live:

Edited by Pol

This time of year seems to induce unavoidable anxiety for many users of this site submitting applications, and then waiting by their F5 keys for either a bomb blast or a letter from heaven.

For me listening to music is a good way to forget about it all for a few minutes and relax  B)

I thought it'd be cool to share a song you've been listening to a lot recently during the application process, to get a snapshot of GC's listening habits and maybe a little selfishly crowdsource some new music.

I'll start: 

Song

Paper Trails by Darkside

Brief Description:

The best word to describe this song would be: atmospheric, like a jazz club at the bottom of the ocean

Have you ever heard Morphine? VERY similar styles going on here: