Materials Science & Engineering - Fall 2014

84Runner

Hey everybody, just finished all my apps in the last few weeks, now shifting gears to waiting it out.  Who else is out there?  Where did you apply?  What research are you interested in?

As for me:

Stanford, Berkeley, Colorado School of Mines, U of Arizona, U of Washington, Oregon State, CU-Boulder

Interested in semiconductor device development, specifically PV and LEDs

Hi there!

Just finished up applications. Applied to:

MIT, Stanford, Illinois, Northwestern, Cornell, Michigan, Ohio State, Brown, Washington State, U Chicago IME. 

Interested in energy materials, nanomaterials, and materials at extreme conditions. 

Good luck to all! 

Hi all!

I'm still going through my apps, but I'm almost there. Just a few left. I applied to mostly programs with a significant entrepreneurship focus.

Applied/applying to: Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, CalTech, MIT, UIUC, UC-Berkeley, Rice, Yale, Johns Hopkins, WUSTL, UVA, UPenn, NC State

Interested in nanobiotech (surgical/imaging), nanomaterials, and thermoelectrics.

Hey everyone!

Almost done with applications - 2 more are due on the 15th, almost done editing my Personal History Statement for those 2 schools and then I'll be done with applications!

Applied/applying to: Stanford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, USC, UCSD

I may also end up applying to San Jose State and Cal State Northridge if I do not get into any of the above schools - I have a weak profile. Since SJSU and CSUN's applications aren't due until July 1st, I figure I can wait to hear from the other schools first.

Interested in alternative energy (energy storage, PV, fuel cells)

Hey everyone!

Almost done with applications - 2 more are due on the 15th, almost done editing my Personal History Statement for those 2 schools and then I'll be done with applications!

Applied/applying to: Stanford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, USC, UCSD

I may also end up applying to San Jose State and Cal State Northridge if I do not get into any of the above schools - I have a weak profile. Since SJSU and CSUN's applications aren't due until July 1st, I figure I can wait to hear from the other schools first.

Interested in alternative energy (energy storage, PV, fuel cells)

Hey you,

I guess my profile isn't that strong too. Just wondering why all the unis you applied to are in Cali? and I thought all unis in there have an earl deadline, btw what is your undergrad institution?

Hey you,

I guess my profile isn't that strong too. Just wondering why all the unis you applied to are in Cali? and I thought all unis in there have an earl deadline, btw what is your undergrad institution?

UCSD was my undergraduate institution - when I was applying for undergraduate studies, I only applied to UC schools. Partially because I didn't want to pay out-of-state/private school tuition fees, also I am a strong believer in the UC system.

I'm passionate about alternative energy and renewables, and California is the best state for employment. I feel like the UC system is also passionate about research in multiple alternative energy technologies, and I've seen that in their faculty research. When I factor in lower tuition costs, my boyfriend wanting to stay in California, it all pushed me to apply to California-only schools.

California State schools are lower tiered (compared to UC schools) and have later application deadlines.

Hi everyone!

Why do n't you use the old style for your background like the other topics? This way I think we can get more information about the PhD applicant's profile.

Well, here is my background and schools:

GRE: verbal 147 (Low GRE V  :( ) Quantitative: 164 AW: 4.5

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS):111/120

UG GPA:Materials, 3.85/4 (first ranked student)-- Best Engineering School in my country

(If you did Masters)

Masters GPA:3.82/4-- Best Engineering School in my country

Research experience:Materials, BSc and MSc project (currently MSc project, Biomaterials)

Research publications, patents, conferences:1 journal (IF: 6.233), 2 international conferences

PHD intended specialization:Materials Engineering, Bioengineering,Chemical Engineering  

University list: Applied for Materials: Harvard, Berkeley, ASU, UCSB, Maryland (UMD), Boston, UFL, GAtech, Pennstate, Arlington  

Bioengineering: Illinois at Urbana, UFL, UPenn, UCR

Chemical: JohnsHopkins, Caltech, Lehigh, UFL

I know my chances are very low for these schools.  :( My Low verbal GRE score is the problem.

Please share.

Looks like people have already started hearing back from UC Berkeley... that is pretty quick response.

Hi!

I have contacted the graduate adviser and she confirmed that some of the results are released. They are gradually sending the results! 

Hi!

I have contacted the graduate adviser and she confirmed that some of the results are released. They are gradually sending the results! 

I see, thank you for the info! Hopefully most will be sent by this week... :)?

OK... who here got into MIT with a 2.63 GPA from Reed College?!

Edit: Nevermind - seems like everyone erroneously received one. 

Edited by starofdawn

Some University of Illinois (Urbana) acceptances went out yesterday.

Does anyone know more about the MIT error? Did all MIT-DMSE applicants receive the fluke acceptance email (I did)?

Hey all,

I study Materials Science and Engineering at Cornell University, looking to follow that into grad school come Fall.  Finished up all my applications before the new year and am waiting to hear back.

For research I am doing optical and semiconductor thin films, generally trying to gear it towards PV.

GRE: V163/Q168/W3.5

GPA: 3.24

Applied: Stanford, Berkeley, Michigan, GATech, UTAustin, Minnesota, CUBoulder, University of Rochester, and Cornell (ChemE program)

I'll write back on here once I've heard back from any.  I see a couple from Stanford and Berkeley already got in for MSE.

Good luck everyone!

Zorkiv, I also got the email. The admissions office and admission administrator informed me over the phone that no decision have been made yet so I am confused with the definite acceptances posted on the results page. 

Out of curiosity, did your email read this same way:

We are very pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to the MIT Department of Materials Science and Engineering (DMSE) for PhD-track graduate studies starting Fall 2014.  Congratulations! 

The official admissions letter will be mailed to you, and further email correspondence will follow. However, we wanted to offer our congratulations immediately, and bring to your attention our DMSE visitation weekend dates: February 27-March 2, 2014 or March 13-16, 2014. On each of these weekends, you and other newly admitted students visit MIT DMSE to meet with faculty and students and learn firsthand about our research and education opportunities. We look forward to meeting you then. 

Your email address will be added to the mailing list mse-pregrads@mit.edu . We will follow up so that you can provide us with information regarding your plans and the DMSE faculty members with whom you would like to meet during your visit.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Elissa Haverty or me at dmse-hosting@mit.edu .

Zorkiv, I also got the email. The admissions office and admission administrator informed me over the phone that no decision have been made yet so I am confused with the definite acceptances posted on the results page. 

Out of curiosity, did your email read this same way:

We are very pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to the MIT Department of Materials Science and Engineering (DMSE) for PhD-track graduate studies starting Fall 2014.  Congratulations! 

The official admissions letter will be mailed to you, and further email correspondence will follow. However, we wanted to offer our congratulations immediately, and bring to your attention our DMSE visitation weekend dates: February 27-March 2, 2014 or March 13-16, 2014. On each of these weekends, you and other newly admitted students visit MIT DMSE to meet with faculty and students and learn firsthand about our research and education opportunities. We look forward to meeting you then. 

Your email address will be added to the mailing list mse-pregrads@mit.edu . We will follow up so that you can provide us with information regarding your plans and the DMSE faculty members with whom you would like to meet during your visit.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Elissa Haverty or me at dmse-hosting@mit.edu .

I got the exactly same email.

It must have been a system error (as they claim).

If you called them and heard that no decisions had been made, then you should probably be right.

I think those who claim that they got definite acceptances are trying to distract (Maybe it's real... who knows)

AWood316:  Yep, that's the exact same email I got.

I also got two correction emails, spaced one hour apart. They both said basically the same thing, and the second had a typo ("Messsage") in the subject line. So it certainly seems like they were scrambling that evening to put out fires.

I think for sanity's sake it's best to consider this just a system error for everyone rather than some short list and move on.

I can't see them sending blatant lies even if your individual application was still being processed. I'm assuming you both got the email today from the DMSE Dept. Head.
If not, I'll paste it below; Answered all of my questions.

I am writing to you to offer my personal apology and an apology on behalf of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering for a recent email you received in error from the graduate admissions committee in the Materials Science and Engineering (DMSE). I also writing to provide you with some more information.

This year DMSE is using a new software package for its graduate application process.  On Tuesday, January 14, around 9 pm, an email was sent to you and all other applicants awaiting a decision on their application to the graduate program, notifying each of you that you had been accepted to DMSE’s graduate program.  This email, sent  to all applicants awaiting a decision, was sent in error.    Staff from the admissions committee discovered the software error almost immediately and within minutes of sending the original email,  sent another email  to inform you and others of the error.  To be clear, a decision on your application has not been made yet.  The decision on your application is presently being reviewed and we expect you will learn of the Department’s decision no later than the first week in February.  

I now understand the email  was sent as a result of a software error.  I want to assure you that we are working to better understand what happened so that it does not happen again.   I know you may be upset about getting the initial email and  I am sorry this happened.  I hope that your interest and enthusiasm for MIT and our graduate program in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering will remain strong in spite of this incident.

I am available to talk to you about any questions or concerns you may have.

Yours,

Chris Schuh
Department Head, Materials Science and Engineering, MIT

Guess I'll resort to checking my mailbox every five minutes instead of my email  :D

Edited by AWood316

Hi everyone!

Has n't any of you heard from these schools?

Harvard, Berkeley, ASU, UCSB, Maryland (UMD), Boston, UFL, GAtech, Pennstate

I have seen in the results part of the site that people are receiving their acceptance to Berkeley, yet I don't know when the final decisions are made.

I am so nervous. Seems like I am going to get ejected from every school I have applied :( .

Any ideas? Please share?

I finished my applications early December and my recommenders finished their application on the 15th of December. Hope I hear something soon, as I'm eager to get all my stuff sorted out in time (I'm from the Netherlands, so things like visa application etc are also needed :/ ). I applied to UVa, UMich, Brown, UIUC and Northwestern and my areas of interest include high temperature materials, materials in extreme environments, self-healing materials and oxidation. Well, guess those subjects are all connected somehow :P.

If anyone receives a reply from any of these schools, please let me know ;)!

Eruthos:

My research interests are very similar. I've been admitted to UIUC (two weeks ago), UMich (a week ago), and Brown (a few days ago). Didn't apply to UVa, and still waiting to hear back from Northwestern.

Also, you may want to check out Washington State. Their major emphasis is on shock physics and extreme conditions materials. Their deadline might be passed, though.

Good luck!

Eruthos:

My research interests are very similar. I've been admitted to UIUC (two weeks ago), UMich (a week ago), and Brown (a few days ago). Didn't apply to UVa, and still waiting to hear back from Northwestern.

Also, you may want to check out Washington State. Their major emphasis is on shock physics and extreme conditions materials. Their deadline might be passed, though.

Good luck!

Oh that's good news! You got an email from them I suppose? I hope they hurry up because I want to know soooo badly. And if they decline you, do they wait until the end or do they also send it out rather quickly?