Materials Science & Engineering - Fall 2014

84Runner

Thank you I am very concern with my applications. I am a female student with 3.40 UG GPA from top 25th US graduate school and one publication (2 under review) I have a GRE Verbal 150, Math 160. I am not sure what is my chance of getting to a PhD as opposed to master? 

Edited by Grads14

Got my UCLA rejection this morning - sort of stings, since I saw a lot of UCLA acceptances yesterday. Oh, well, Fight On Trojans!

Hi Starofdown

The same situation! I got UCLA rejection this morning! I am very shocked! did you have any publication? and if you dont mind can you please share your status with me? I am so badly disappointed :(
Edited by Grads14

Hi Grads14,

I have no publications, but I have 3 years industry experience.

My stats: 160 Q 157 V 4.5W. 3.33 GPA from UC San Diego.

My stats aren't exceptionally amazing, but I thought I would take a chance and apply.

Hi Grads14,

I have no publications, but I have 3 years industry experience.

My stats: 160 Q 157 V 4.5W. 3.33 GPA from UC San Diego.

My stats aren't exceptionally amazing, but I thought I would take a chance and apply.

Thanks for sharing. I have applied for UC Davis and UCSD but I have not heard back yet! not sure if being a female could help at all.

Hey Everyone! 

I am an International Applicant.

Here are the schools I am applying to: 

- MIT, Stanford, UCSB, Berkeley, Cornell, Northwestern, Harvard, UCLA, UC Davis, Rutgers

My Stats: 

160 Q 149 V 3.5W. 3.65 GPA (Highest GPA) from Top Engineering School. 

1 Pub. (Single Author - Undergrad Journal). 1 Review Article (on the go).

I have over 2 years of research experience. Including a summer research program in the US (Harvard) and also multiple research internships at well-known international corporations. I also had the chance to spend my junior year at UC Berkeley as an exchange student. 

Field of Interest: Electrochemistry / Electrochemical Energy Storage

So far, only had 2 rejects: MIT and Cornell. No other decision e-mail arrived. Super stressed out about the whole situation! Especially after receiving negative responses... Hope we all get in to schools we want! My dream is Stanford! What is yours? :)

Hey Everyone!

I am an International Applicant.

Here are the schools I am applying to:

- MIT, Stanford, UCSB, Berkeley, Cornell, Northwestern, Harvard, UCLA, UC Davis, Rutgers

My Stats:

160 Q 149 V 3.5W. 3.65 GPA (Highest GPA) from Top Engineering School.

1 Pub. (Single Author - Undergrad Journal). 1 Review Article (on the go).

I have over 2 years of research experience. Including a summer research program in the US (Harvard) and also multiple research internships at well-known international corporations. I also had the chance to spend my junior year at UC Berkeley as an exchange student.

Field of Interest: Electrochemistry / Electrochemical Energy Storage

So far, only had 2 rejects: MIT and Cornell. No other decision e-mail arrived. Super stressed out about the whole situation! Especially after receiving negative responses... Hope we all get in to schools we want! My dream is Stanford! What is yours?

Hi are you applying directly from BS to PhD? UCLA accepts phd students directly? Stanford acceptance is great this year! I hope you can get into Stanford but I have heard they have a GRE cut off.

Hey rpbiggie,

What are your research interests? Santa Barbara is a great place to live but not sure if you can study when the weather is soooo nice! haha JK! Hope you get in! Got no contact person in UCSB but for Stanford, I just e-mail the Prof. I was in touch with during admissions. If I get sth. about any specific date, I ll get back to you! 

Hi are you applying directly from BS to PhD? UCLA accepts phd students directly? Stanford acceptance is great this year! I hope you can get into Stanford but I have heard they have a GRE cut off.

Yes I am directly applying from BS to PhD. The UCLA website states: "Normally the M.S. degree is required for admission to the Ph.D. program. Exceptional students, however, can be admitted to the Ph.D. program without having the M.S. degree." I guess its a long shot with my GRE scores but just giving a try! :) The Prof. I have contacted at Stanford said me the same thing. He said I would normally get admitted with my resume however my GRE scores lie below the average and It might cause problems. :/ I simply hate standardized tests... Especially a stupid one like GRE! But lets hope it works out...! :)

Yes never give up! Keep us updated please! Have you contacted any profs in other universities you have applied so far! Do you think contacting profs before admission can help? Some of them never reply :(

Yes never give up! Keep us updated please! Have you contacted any profs in other universities you have applied so far! Do you think contacting profs before admission can help? Some of them never reply :(

Hey dreamtime,

I'm interested in semiconductor device fabrication and characterization.  One of the professors there was actually a student of one of my advisors here at the University of Arizona back in the 80s lol.  He told me to get in touch with him, but I didn't want to come on too strong in the application process.  I probably should have  :D .  Good luck with Stanford!  There's a professor there who does a lot of atomic layer deposition work that I was really interested in.  I'll let you know if I hear anything from either.

Hey guys! Firstly I just got an e-mail from one of the Profs at Berkeley whom I was in touch with during applications. He said I was on the waitlist rightnow but he said I should not be too optimistic cause many professors in my field of interest are not going to accept any students to their groups due to funding situation. Bummer.. Anyways, coming to the questions, I did get in touch with many professors. Including responded ones from Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Cornell, UC Davis and Rutgers. Some of them responded positive some of them were just saying words of encouragement some were basically neutral. I knew from a previous Berkeley professor that its always good to contact them though... but not like preparing a standard e-mal and sending to all but rather being more personal and showing real interest. Plus, lately: although I did not applied to Drexel College, a professor offered me a position in his group and said if I decide to come he can handle the entire admission process. I guess this also shows the strength of a Professor when it comes to wanting you in his group for real... :)

Edited by dreamtime

Is anyone applying to Rutgers for either MS or PhD?  I got invited to an open house today, but I think it might just be a generic invitation to anyone who is applying because I haven't received an admit yet.  The deadline for the application hasn't even happened yet.  I guess this is just an opportunity for students to get to see who they could possibly work with?  Yeah I think that's what it is, the e-mail wasn't even addressed to me, it was addressed to "prospective graduate student".  Oh well I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else got the e-mail, and if you're going.

Hey guys! Firstly I just got an e-mail from one of the Profs at Berkeley whom I was in touch with during applications. He said I was on the waitlist rightnow but he said I should not be too optimistic cause many professors in my field of interest are not going to accept any students to their groups due to funding situation. Bummer.. Anyways, coming to the questions, I did get in touch with many professors. Including responded ones from Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Cornell, UC Davis and Rutgers. Some of them responded positive some of them were just saying words of encouragement some were basically neutral. I knew from a previous Berkeley professor that its always good to contact them though... but not like preparing a standard e-mal and sending to all but rather being more personal and showing real interest. Plus, lately: although I did not applied to Drexel College, a professor offered me a position in his group and said if I decide to come he can handle the entire admission process. I guess this also shows the strength of a Professor when it comes to wanting you in his group for real... :)

Good luck! Out of curiosity, what did you put in your emails? I am considering emailing some schools at this point (that have not already sent out rejections) but am wondering how much they would look into this. 

Good luck! Out of curiosity, what did you put in your emails? I am considering emailing some schools at this point (that have not already sent out rejections) but am wondering how much they would look into this. 

Well, when I meant e-mailing professors, I meant actually writing them during the application process. I wrote them my skills and expertise and also asked them couple of questions about next year's research projects and some questions about their previous work etc. Right now, it seems like its not a good time to write anyone.. I wrote to a berkeley prof and although I get an answer to my question the way the prof wrote the e-mail was kinda rude.. So I guess its better to just sit n wait... 

Edited by dreamtime

Emailed my POIs at the universities I haven't heard from yet and my POI at University of Virginia has arranged to set up a conference call on Thursday (tomorrow).. yay!

Edited by Eruthos