Materials Science & Engineering - Fall 2014

84Runner

I have received 3 rejections (Berkeley, Yale and Santa Barbara) and 1 acceptance (UC Davis) so far. The one that burns the most is definitely UCSB, It was my top choice after Davis and UC San Diego that I am still waiting for...

I am trying to look at the bright sight and be happy about the chance to attend Davis, but rejections are always hard to swallow!

Good luck to everyone!

I have received 3 rejections (Berkeley, Yale and Santa Barbara) and 1 acceptance (UC Davis) so far. The one that burns the most is definitely UCSB, It was my top choice after Davis and UC San Diego that I am still waiting for...

I am trying to look at the bright sight and be happy about the chance to attend Davis, but rejections are always hard to swallow!

Good luck to everyone!

Joker88,

I'm sorry to hear about the UCSB rejection - but congrats on the Davis acceptance! I would love to go to UC Davis (it's one of my top choices, as well as UCSD). When did you hear from UC Davis? Also, did you apply to PhD or Masters?

Had an interview with Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville on thursday. Got an offer on sunday. Its for PhD in Energy Science and Engineering at the Bredesen Center. I want to focus on energy materials. 

Need help in deciding between UTK and UIUC. I got an offer for non-thesis MS from UIUC (with no funding). The UTK offer comes with full funding (RA position). Also, the email from UIUC says that "Self-funded students are expected to remain self-funded during the entire program. You will not be eligible for a tuition waiver or a teaching or research assistantship. " Does that mean there is absolutely no possibility of getting funding at UIUC ? 

Joker88,

I'm sorry to hear about the UCSB rejection - but congrats on the Davis acceptance! I would love to go to UC Davis (it's one of my top choices, as well as UCSD). When did you hear from UC Davis? Also, did you apply to PhD or Masters?

Hey Starofdawn,

I have just cheked my e-mail inbox, I received the acceptance at UC Davis on Sunday 2/23.

About your second question: I already have a M.S. in Materials Engineering at the University of Trento (where I am currently doing some research job after graduating last year) so I have applied everywhere for a Ph.D. position.

What do you think about UC San Diego admission/rejection disclosure dates? I have seen a couple of acceptances the last weekend (7-8 March) and I feel like that it's not good to have not heard anything yet...

Good luck to you my friend, if we'll end up in the same University I will gladly share a beer (or two) with you! 

Hey Starofdawn,

I have just cheked my e-mail inbox, I received the acceptance at UC Davis on Sunday 2/23.

About your second question: I already have a M.S. in Materials Engineering at the University of Trento (where I am currently doing some research job after graduating last year) so I have applied everywhere for a Ph.D. position.

What do you think about UC San Diego admission/rejection disclosure dates? I have seen a couple of acceptances the last weekend (7-8 March) and I feel like that it's not good to have not heard anything yet...

Good luck to you my friend, if we'll end up in the same University I will gladly share a beer (or two) with you! 

Thanks! Just today I saw my Davis app has been moved from "completed" to "under review"... here's to hoping I'll hear something soon.

Last app cycle, UCSD's notifications were all spread out - some acceptances came as late as April 11th(and a few came in late March). It's OK that you haven't heard anything yet.

Sent another email to the graduate director at UVa, who should have contacted my POI (he said he would) and today, 2 weeks after my interview, he replied that my POI should contact him... how contradictory is that? Oh well, I sent an email back to my POI asking to check it out, but I'm kind of disappointed at this bureaucratic nonsense..!

I have a dilemma and I'm hoping to get some suggestions because I have no clue what the heck to do. I recently attended the open house/interview session at a smaller university with a well thought of grad materials dept. There are a lot of reasons I'd like to get into a program at this school. There are two professors at the school whose areas interest me and tie into my research background. I met briefly with Prof B but spent the majority of my time with Prof A. He was dynamic, persuasive, made his area seem pretty darn exciting. I communicated with him after the event and he already has a couple of offers out there (since before the event) but if any offers get turned down he is going to make me an offer. Seemed to think this was a good possibility.

Here's the dilemma. I just talked to one of my undergrad professors that I'm pretty close to. He knows all the people involved, has worked with them. Unfortunately he was out of the state before the open house so I didn't talk to him ahead of time. He's strongly warning me away from Prof A for reasons I won't get into, but they were pretty convincing.

So now what do I do? I'd love the chance to be at this university and Prof B's area also interests me and is a good fit. My undergrad professor gave her a thumbs up, said she's a good person to work with. Is it even possible to switch midstream? I don't want to offend Prof A or sound like some kind of indecisive idiot. And believe me I'm not some egotistical jerk who thinks I can just waltz into a group of my choosing. I'm sure Prof B also has offers out there, but I don't want to kick myself for not even giving it a shot. I'd be happy to just be on her wait list at this point.

You're all treading the same mine filled waters I am. Any ideas?

@Cmom291  - The first year is for orientation right? So just go there and check it all out, talk with both professors, try to get a smaller project with each of them and see which one you like more..! :) Experience from others comes in handy, but your own judgement is best as you'll have to work with that person for 4 years.

I'm also waiting to hear from Caltech. But no interview either. I guess I should be worried. I haven't heard from most of the schools I have applied to. Kind of unnerving. 

Hey, I've heard back from Caltech on the 7th of March. Got offered a PhD in Materials!

Got rejected from MIT, Berkeley and ETH Zurich so far.

Hey, I've heard back from Caltech on the 7th of March. Got offered a PhD in Materials!

Got rejected from MIT, Berkeley and ETH Zurich so far.

Hey, did you have an interview ? or was the offer made straight away ?

I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm trying to decide between Rice and UIUC. I want to focus on synthesis of new materials.

So after visiting both schools I'm still torn. The research for both schools is very exciting (Rice with a slight edge). I found the people in both research groups to be approachable and generally pretty happy with their decision. Job placement for both programs is good, however UIUC has a better reputation and alumni network and currently moved up to number 2 in the USNWR rankings (materials engineering). Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet the POIs at UIUC because they were at a conference, but I've heard from current grad students that they are very good advisers (low attrition, good placement, great publication record). In contrast I've been in contact with my POI from Rice (very highly regarded). The Rice program offers more flexibility and has less requirements and the advisers I would be interested in working for are in top 100 chemists of the last decade (http://archive.scien...hemists2000-10/). The UIUC program has more requirements and more TA hours and there would be no guarantee that my adviser would allow me to stay to pursue a PhD, however it is common for students to stay for their PhD. My current adviser and colleagues are suggesting I should go to UIUC. I'm originally from Houston and my family would like me to come back home. I'm comfortable living away, but being home would be a perk.

Any thoughts?

@MajorLaser18 - UIUC is a good choice. They have a great program for the 1st year and a high reputation of bringing stuff on the commercial market (which is something you may want if you are into the synthesis of new materials..

I think I'm going to give up on hoping for admission.. The March 15 deadline has passed and traineeship deadline are coming up quickly. So.. bye bye PhD dream!

I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm trying to decide between Rice and UIUC. I want to focus on synthesis of new materials.

The research for both schools is very exciting (Rice with a slight edge).  Job placement for both programs is good, however UIUC has a better reputation and alumni network and currently moved up to number 2 in the USNWR rankings (materials engineering). Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet the POIs at UIUC because they were at a conference, but I've heard from current grad students that they are very good advisers (low attrition, good placement, great publication record). In contrast I've been in contact with my POI from Rice (very highly regarded). The Rice program offers more flexibility and has less requirements and the advisers I would be interested in working for are in top 100 chemists of the last decade (http://archive.scien...hemists2000-10/). The UIUC program has more requirements and more TA hours and there would be no guarantee that my adviser would allow me to stay to pursue a PhD, however it is common for students to stay for their PhD. My current adviser and colleagues are suggesting I should go to UIUC. I'm originally from Houston and my family would like me to come back home. I'm comfortable living away, but being home would be a perk.

Any thoughts?

I would not agree that UIUC has a better reputation.  Even if you, or someone else, disagree they both are so good that this point isn't really going to make the difference. 

I haven't been on UIUC campus but have heard from other students that it is in the middle of corn fields.  I know that is a bit of exaggeration but I looked into it enough to realize traveling to/from that location is going to be difficult.

I do know that Rice University is simply an amazing place - even for graduate students. I believe they are actively working to make it even better.  Look at the background of the new Dean of Engineering (i.e. MatSE).  You already know about some of their work within Chemistry.  

They also have nice graduate housing just off campus.  Based on the other factors you mentioned I would think it would be pretty easy to make the choice for Rice.  I don't think you would regret being there and suspect in the future you will be thinking how thankful that you are indeed there.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington MSE? A friend of mine confirmed that they have given out all the decisions this year. I haven't yet heard anything from them. So worried!

Right on my lowest emotional point I finally received an offer of admision from my top choice, the University of Virginia!! Funding of $22.500 for the first year and $24.000 after the PhD qualification exam. I'm so happy!! They even offered for me to start in the summer (May), but due to my work contract here in the Netherlands I'm not able xD... Ah well, USA, here I come! =D

Eruthos--

Congratulations!  That's terrific!

MajorLaser18--

It sounds like either school will give you a solid program with a lot of opportunities.  So maybe it's time to take your head out of it and go with your gut.  Where do you have an easier time seeing yourself when you look at the whole picture?  How heavily does the differing work expectations and PhD vs Masters programs weigh with you?  If both schools are going to give you a shot at the career you want, then it comes down to where you'll be happier (working and living) over the next few years.

Good luck with your decision!  And congratulations on having such a tough decision to make!

same boat as you. 

Yea same. I hope we find out soon...

I have a few friends that were accepted and got interviews and invited to visitation. I also saw saw rejects already on results page. So I guess we are on the waitlist.

Edited by skyentist

Hi skyentist,

I wonder why you have placed JHU in the incomplete section. My status for JHU also says incomplete. I guessed this was because the application page expects three recommendation letters, while, the materials program requires only 2. Sent a query to the admissions unit and got a reply which did not answer my question. Do you have any idea what it's about?

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard from Rice University for International students ?

I sent out a mail and received a response stating that they have not yet finalized their decisions. I am still to hear back from 5 universities: JHU, UT Austin, Rice, GATech and PennState. Anyone with some news from any of these universities?