Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Just got accepted to Oxford :)

After 12 rejections, I almost lost hope...

Anybody else got accepted? Feel free to PM me.

Oxford! So cool! Congratulations, Alterman!  :D

Makes me shudder to think I only applied to three universities. Didn't have the resources to apply to more and didn't apply to any of the 'prestige' programs but only three still feels like madness!

YAYY!!! Congratulations! That's amazing - it really shows that we shouldn't lose hope and it isn't over 'til it's over. Are you going to go for sure? Oxford is an amazing place, I loved it when I went to visit.

That's so great! I'm sure that feels wonderful. I'm very happy for you!

Accepted by U of T as given advance notice by my POI through e-mail.  Funding appears to be $15k + tuition + health plan + incidental fees (whatever those are), and a bonus top up if I get some prestigious awards.  I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone, but she seemed pretty confident telling me that the letter she attached to the email was indicative of what I, and others, would be getting.

Edited by Ancient_DNA

Today I received a letter from the graduate school at UNLV that has said I was accepted into the PhD program, which contradicts the letter I received from the Anth dept. that said I was accepted into the MA, and not the PhD. So, I am confused. I emailed my POI about it, but received an auto-generated out-of-country response. Anyone know what I should think? If this does mean that I was accepted for a PhD, then I want to go to UNLV! The biggest thing leaning me towards WSU was that I was accepted for a PhD program. 

On another note, I talked to my POI at WSU today and she has been working on trying to get me some funding there, and has so far only been able to possibly get me a one semester RA position, and doesn't know if she can renew it for the Spring (15). So, funding is totally up in the air at WSU still, but I know that my POI really wants me there and is trying to work something out.

I would love some advice, insight, etc. 

Today I received a letter from the graduate school at UNLV that has said I was accepted into the PhD program, which contradicts the letter I received from the Anth dept. that said I was accepted into the MA, and not the PhD. So, I am confused. I emailed my POI about it, but received an auto-generated out-of-country response. Anyone know what I should think? If this does mean that I was accepted for a PhD, then I want to go to UNLV! The biggest thing leaning me towards WSU was that I was accepted for a PhD program. 

On another note, I talked to my POI at WSU today and she has been working on trying to get me some funding there, and has so far only been able to possibly get me a one semester RA position, and doesn't know if she can renew it for the Spring (15). So, funding is totally up in the air at WSU still, but I know that my POI really wants me there and is trying to work something out.

I would love some advice, insight, etc. 

I would call the grad program director. If it was in error or correct, it's best to call & act on it as soon as possible so you have a clear idea of your admissions standing. If you can't get a hold of them, leave a voicemail, then email the grad program director, & maybe cc: the department chair.

Finally finally FINALLY heard back from U of Toronto. I was offered a position in their MA program.

Funding is $15k plus tuition, which is standard.

Now I need to decide between U of T and McMaster (both MA programs) - does anyone have any advice for the decision-making process? Let's say that funding is irrelevant. The difference between both schools is pretty insignificant (a few thousand dollars), so it comes down to fit and the programs themselves. Does anyone have insight into either program??

What- thanks for link but I have a link at my uni that says basically the same thing but they never accept non masters into phd. I think I saw it when I was applying somewhere else on the website. It was kinda hidden. But I don't care enough to search for it so you win.

Kaitri- congrats

Edited by anthropologygeek

Mesoarch-- I just visited UNC a few days ago, it was lovely! My impression was that it is a very cozy place to do your Ph.D, the DGS is totally charming and funny, the department head is a royal (shhhh.... we're not supposed to know!) and though they are trying to get more of their students to finish in normative time, they usually extend funding as long as it is needed, they have TONS of teaching opportunities in the department in the post-field stage if they want it, the cohorts are very social and supportive of each other, and they are highly supportive of hooking their students up with grants and advice. Quality of life stellar. One caution: be self-motivated, and if finishing in normative time is important to you, you can do it, I'm sure. If not, and its much more about the experience and growing in your field, and maybe particularly if you are coming in from the BA, then no worries on that either!

Finally finally FINALLY heard back from U of Toronto. I was offered a position in their MA program.

Funding is $15k plus tuition, which is standard.

Now I need to decide between U of T and McMaster (both MA programs) - does anyone have any advice for the decision-making process? Let's say that funding is irrelevant. The difference between both schools is pretty insignificant (a few thousand dollars), so it comes down to fit and the programs themselves. Does anyone have insight into either program??

Congrats Kaitri!! Can I ask if you were accepted for the MA or the MSc? I'm still waiting to hear back about the MA. 

As a Toronto native I think UofT is a really great option, especially if you're hoping to go on to a PhD afterwards. UofT has great name recognition in Canada and a lot of the US as well. But I don't know a whole lot about McMaster, and obviously program fit should be your first consideration. 

Congrats again!

UNLV does accept people for PhD without a MA.. it's called their "Streamline" PhD. And that is what I applied to, and my POIs know that is what I applied to as well. I figure it can go one of two ways: a) A PhD spot opened up and so they bumped me from MA to PhD, or B) since I applied to the PhD, the system or the graduate college put that instead of MA on my acceptance. I'm really hoping it's not a mistake. UNLV is so much better for me in a lot of ways. 

Congrats Kaitri!! Can I ask if you were accepted for the MA or the MSc? I'm still waiting to hear back about the MA. 

As a Toronto native I think UofT is a really great option, especially if you're hoping to go on to a PhD afterwards. UofT has great name recognition in Canada and a lot of the US as well. But I don't know a whole lot about McMaster, and obviously program fit should be your first consideration. 

Congrats again!

Thanks for the double congrats!! I am positively ecstatic!

I applied to the MA. My POI explicitly noted that he didn't take students for the MSc program because the school only guarantees funding for the first year (students are left to find their own for the second year), and he thinks that no graduate student should attend a program without guaranteed funding.

I will likely apply to the PhD program this fall - my undergraduate background isn't in anthro, so I applied to the MA program because I was sure that I would be rejected outright from the PhD program.

I would suggest just calling the graduate admin assistant. I called her yesterday and she was happy to give my results over the phone. I noted that I have another expiring offer that I need to accept or turn down this week, and she even scanned and emailed me a copy of my admission package.