Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I just saw someone chose philosophy of math on the poll, I assume that was you :) . Welcome!

May I ask what programs are you applying to?

Nope, it wasn't me!

I applied to NYU, MIT, Cornell, CUNY, Princeton, Pitt, and then a handful of other schools that were lower on the Leiter report.

Also got the rejection from UNC. It was a reach of course, and the email was very polite and came in a very timely manner. Couldn't have been a more pleasant rejection lol.

Right? It was the nicest rejection I've ever gotten. 

I'm also on the UNC wait list. Received a nice email from LA Paul this morning.

I meant to upvote this, but I hit the red arrow and it won't let me take it back! Haha, just so you know. 

Philosophe, let me know if you get into St. Andrews!

Also, for everyone's information, Missouri is a school that invites a large number out and splits them into wait-list and acceptances. It seems they invite a few top choices. Then, about 10 others get invites a little later on that ask the person to come to campus but do not explicitly offer a place and from those 10 some are accepted and the rest wait-listed.

Is it reasonable to expect that those of us that didn't hear from Berkeley are likely not going to be admitted? Does anyone have any more information on how their department goes about giving offers? Is there more than one round of offers? 

Someone mentioned earlier that Berkeley had multiple rounds of acceptances last year. I hope that's accurate. Also, it seems interesting to me that half of the accepts heard by phone, and half by email. Wonder what's up with that.

Is it reasonable to expect that those of us that didn't hear from Berkeley are likely not going to be admitted? Does anyone have any more information on how their department goes about giving offers? Is there more than one round of offers? 

No, it's not reasonable.

Also, for everyone's information, Missouri is a school that invites a large number out and splits them into wait-list and acceptances. It seems they invite a few top choices. Then, about 10 others get invites a little later on that ask the person to come to campus but do not explicitly offer a place and from those 10 some are accepted and the rest wait-listed.

Do you have any additional information about this process? I seem to be in the latter camp, and was told my chances of admission were good. It seems like the campus visit is going to be after they have already decided admissions, is that correct?

I think it's always reasonable to expect that you're not likely to be admitted to any given school. Given that you're not a first round acceptance, it would be unreasonable for you to increase your confidence that you'll be admitted. So, given that you're not a first round acceptance, I think it's reasonable to continue to expect that you're not likely to be admitted (to Berkeley, or wherever, whoever you are).

I think it's always reasonable to expect that you're not likely to be admitted to any given school. Given that you're not a first round acceptance, it would be unreasonable for you to increase your confidence that you'll be admitted. So, given that you're not a first round acceptance, I think it's reasonable to continue to expect that you're not likely to be admitted (to Berkeley, or wherever, whoever you are).

I agree with what you've said. Perhaps I worded my question poorly since I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it was ever likely to be admitted to any given program. What I meant was something more like the following. Given that Berkeley has made offers and I was not one of them, is it now highly likely that I will not be admitted  (the likelihood of being admitted is less than it was to start with). The answer to this seems to depend on Berkeley's admissions procedures. Do they have a second round of offers, do they have a waitlist, etc

Edited by greencoloredpencil

As long as Berkeley does not give out the waitlists, it is not completely unreasonable for us to hold some hope-because you may be put on their waitlist, which will or will not be made public. But if they release the waitlists along with the acceptances, then those of us who are not either of them surely have been rejected. 

Edited by Platonist

Someone mentioned earlier that Berkeley had multiple rounds of acceptances last year. I hope that's accurate. Also, it seems interesting to me that half of the accepts heard by phone, and half by email. Wonder what's up with that.

International applicants by email, American applicants by phone.

#criticalthinking #gg

EDIT: Yes I edited this post to add hashtags.

EDIT 2: Yes I edited this post to say that I edited this post to add hashtags.

EDIT 3: Yes this is getting regressive so I'll just stop here.

Edited by TheVineyard

I agree with what you've said. Perhaps I worded my question poorly since I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it was ever likely to be admitted to any given program. What I meant was something more like the following. Given that Berkeley has made offers and I was not one of them, is it now highly likely that I will not be admitted  (the likelihood of being admitted is less than it was to start with). The answer to this seems to depend on Berkeley's admissions procedures. Do they have a second round of offers, do they have a waitlist, etc

I know that in past years they've had a wait list, and that they've drawn from it. Procedures everywhere tend to be pretty opaque, so I'd say don't jump to conclusions until you've heard something from the department.