Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

New School hopefuls,

How much credibility is there to all the stories about New School never offering admits full funding packages, students taking 8+ years to finish, etc..? I've heard all these rumors before, just want to know how true any of them are. Are all there PhD. students fully-funded? Or is it the kind of place people pay some for a PhD. in the hopes that the 'New School' name will land them a sweet gig (and a well paid one) when all is said and done? 

Wow, I hadn't heard some of those stories. I have no idea (though I don't know if I'd qualify as a 'hopeful'). I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in touch with some grad students to ask about those things now, though.

Edited by Monadology

No reason to be depressed. You got in at HFU!

Indeed. :) But I would still like to know. On the department's FAQ page, I found

"When will I be notified if I have been admitted? 

No later than March 15th."

Note a crucial ambiguity. The question might be rephrased like so: "If I have been admitted, when is it that I will be notified of that fact?" But it might mean something different, e.g., "When will I learn the status of my application, whether the status is admitted, wait listed, or rejected?" In other words, perhaps only admitted/wait listed people will hear by March 15th.

EDIT: Sorry, Monadology. I deleted it, basically because of what you said.

Edited by DHumeDominates

Indeed. :) But I would still like to know. On the department's FAQ page, I found

"When will I be notified if I have been admitted? 

No later than March 15th."

Note a crucial ambiguity. The question might be rephrased like so: "If I have been admitted, when is it that I will be notified of that fact?" But it might mean something different, e.g., "When will I learn the status of my application, whether the status is admitted, wait listed, or rejected?" In other words, perhaps only admitted/wait listed people will hear by March 15th.

EDIT: Sorry, Monadology. I deleted it, basically because of what you said.

There's no ambiguity, but there's no guarantee that you'll receive notification by 3/15 if you've not been admitted. But, assuming the quoted text is truthful, if you're not notified by 3/15, you can infer that you're not admitted--so either rejected or on a wait list. Perhaps that's something.

There's no ambiguity, but there's no guarantee that you'll receive notification by 3/15 if you've not been admitted. But, assuming the quoted text is truthful, if you're not notified by 3/15, you can infer that you're not admitted--so either rejected or on a wait list. Perhaps that's something.

Right, essentially that's what I meant. Those rejected might hear by 3/15; they might not. If one hasn't heard by 3/15, one's not been admitted, at least in the first round of admissions.

These next couple days shouldn't be too stressful! :unsure:

Ok I've been off the grid a few days. Anyone else interested in Tulane?

Indeed, I am! I'm curious. Would you chose Tulane over the schools you've already been accepted to?

Anyone have information on those Maryland rejections? 

Edited by kant_get_in

Does anyone have any idea when UW-Milwaukee and Brandeis will send out notifications for their MA programs?

Also, am I correct in thinking that Western Michigan has only sent out their first round of acceptances or are those all out?

Milwaukee usually sends out notifications right around this time; I would be surprised if they didn't send out any by saturday. I haven't checked up on Brandeis. 

Given past years, it is very likely that WMU has only sent out first round. But I'm not certain about this. 

Indeed, I am! I'm curious. Would you chose Tulane over the schools you've already been accepted to?

Anyone have information on those Maryland rejections? 

Not sure. That location is more appealing to me than upstate new york or iowa... I think I'd definitely visit.