Results

jamc8383

Stop yelling at me  :)

For U-W Madison applicants, I have word that they're extending 54 offers of admission.  Sizable group; makes me kind of concerned for funding  :unsure:

If it is anything like two years ago, they extend offers to 50-60 students annually. Of those, 12-15 come with guaranteed funding and a trip to Madison. As was my understanding at the time, most of those funded slots come for specific fields of inquiry (Jewish, LGBTQ, etc.) and many are nontransferable to another student if the first student decides not to accept. For the other 40 or so people, there is the option of teaching in exchange for tuition and a stipend, although this is applied for on a term-by-term basis and may not be possible during the first semester. However, two years ago it was a several week wait in between acceptance and funding info. Fingers crossed for good (and quick) news for all of us!

If it is anything like two years ago, they extend offers to 50-60 students annually. Of those, 12-15 come with guaranteed funding and a trip to Madison. As was my understanding at the time, most of those funded slots come for specific fields of inquiry (Jewish, LGBTQ, etc.) and many are nontransferable to another student if the first student decides not to accept. For the other 40 or so people, there is the option of teaching in exchange for tuition and a stipend, although this is applied for on a term-by-term basis and may not be possible during the first semester. However, two years ago it was a several week wait in between acceptance and funding info. Fingers crossed for good (and quick) news for all of us!

thanks for the details! yeah pretty sure there is a gap between acceptances and funding....I have visited madison in years past and yes funding can be on a term by term basis and SUPER competitive; however, it is Madison!

thanks for the details! yeah pretty sure there is a gap between acceptances and funding....I have visited madison in years past and yes funding can be on a term by term basis and SUPER competitive; however, it is Madison!

Do not be naive.  Do not go to Madison without a full package.  I was one of the lucky ones with a full package and got to visit the place.  It is in a beautiful setting with a wonderful department and amazing, hard-working graduate students.  And plenty of booze to go around.  Nonetheless, if you have a full funding offer elsewhere, take it.  The "unfunded" students told me that they literally spent more time trying to find constant source of funding than their coursework and teaching.  That can't really be fun, especially in a place with amazing intellectual energy in the air.  Also, Madison doesn't pay high enough stipends to be able to live comfortably in the city.  The rents are definitely very high.  I would have had to totally defer my student loans just to be able to attend UW (thus come out of my PhD in even more debt from accrued interest).

Good luck to all of you who will be accepted at UW and then awaiting funding news!

Do not be naive.  Do not go to Madison without a full package.  I was one of the lucky ones with a full package and got to visit the place.  It is in a beautiful setting with a wonderful department and amazing, hard-working graduate students.  And plenty of booze to go around.  Nonetheless, if you have a full funding offer elsewhere, take it.  The "unfunded" students told me that they literally spent more time trying to find constant source of funding than their coursework and teaching.  That can't really be fun, especially in a place with amazing intellectual energy in the air.  Also, Madison doesn't pay high enough stipends to be able to live comfortably in the city.  The rents are definitely very high.  I would have had to totally defer my student loans just to be able to attend UW (thus come out of my PhD in even more debt from accrued interest).

Good luck to all of you who will be accepted at UW and then awaiting funding news!

Definitely agree with this and have heard the same from both faculty, office staff, and students. Here's to hoping for the best!

I guess that means you're in? Congrats

It does. Thank you so much. This alleviates a lot of my anxiety. I am still hoping for a successful application season for everybody else here, though.

Edited by thedig13

If Madison sticks with snail mail this year I should be one of the first to hear anything (not that I am expecting to be accepted but hoping to me). I live in Milwaukee so I would think the mail would get here pretty quick...I'll be sure to post if things do go my way!

I am under the impression that Madison does the inhumane, ruthless impersonal "check the website" thing...but I could be wrong. But I think they meant they will finally reach a consensus by the end of this week?

On the same note, UW Madison's History of Science just submitted its first batch of fellowship nomination. 

Edited by silentbirds

I am under the impression that Madison does the inhumane, ruthless impersonal "check the website" thing...but I could be wrong. On the same note, UW Madison's History of Science just submitted its first batch of fellowship nomination. But I think they meant they will finally reach a consensus by the end of this week?

I have no idea how they do it I am just waitin' around haha and, if it is the case of consensus we might not receive news since they have to send it to the graduate school next. could be longer than we thought.

I am under the impression that Madison does the inhumane, ruthless impersonal "check the website" thing...but I could be wrong. But I think they meant they will finally reach a consensus by the end of this week?

On the same note, UW Madison's History of Science just submitted its first batch of fellowship nomination. 

According to years back search on the board, they send snail mail and some emails. But I guess we'll just wait and see.

nevermind....i was on my phone and it doesn't show the signature info. Congrats on Yale!

Thank you.

The interests listed in my signature are practically copy-pasted straight from my SOP, so what you see there is what Yale adcoms saw.

Edited by thedig13