Results

jamc8383

Thanks. I hope it works out for you as well!

I'm hoping to work on a sensory history of Mandate-era Palestine, focusing on inter-communal relations, media, infrastructure and commerce. Still awaiting answers from a couple more programs (quite possibly rejections), before making the call.

What's your field?

Thanks.

That sounds very interesting, most of my studying of Palestine has been post-1948. I'm doing U.S. foreign relations, with the focus on Cuba/USSR and liberation movements. I am also awaiting answers from other programs before making the call, I feel like most will be rejections. However, I welcome a surprise.

Edited by Roy_Baty

@ UCLA & UCSB admitted applicants

By sheer curiosity, what was your undergrad GPA/GRE? 

UCLA admit:  Undergrad:  3:79; MA, 3.9; GRE:  164V/160Q/6- AW.  I seriously doubt my Undergrad and GRE had significant impact.  I went to community college and then Kent State.  Verbal was 93rd percentile, which many applicants surpass.  

Edited by awells27

I agree with catsandscarves. Penn were very specific, to the point of being intimidating, regarding us not contacting them with ANY issues pertaining to admissions.

I agree, wouldn't dare contact them at this point. Just gotta wait and let the cards fall where they may.

What a long, strange application process this has been.

Applied to five programs for 20th c. American: Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, UVa.

Waitlisted by Princeton, rejected by all the others.

Nuts to this. I'm going to learn a programming language and get a real job.

I agree with the others who've urged you to stick it out for another cycle or two if you really would prefer to become a historian rather than a programmer. Last year, I was in a very similar situation as you and was even rejected by most of the same schools. The difference? I applied to more schools and was accepted by one. Your Princeton waitlist result is impressive (there were only five people on it last year) and probably means you have the right stuff for an acceptance somewhere (it was indicative for me), but just weren't a perfect fit due to various contingencies at any of the limited, highly-selective schools you applied to this year. If you weren't in touch with POIs this year, maybe do so next time and apply to either a wider pool or one where you have some confirmation not just that your interests are a lock, but that logistical circumstances would permit your admission that cycle. 

I agree with the others who've urged you to stick it out for another cycle or two if you really would prefer to become a historian rather than a programmer. Last year, I was in a very similar situation as you and was even rejected by most of the same schools. The difference? I applied to more schools and was accepted by one. Your Princeton waitlist result is impressive (there were only five people on it last year) and probably means you have the right stuff for an acceptance somewhere (it was indicative for me), but just weren't a perfect fit due to various contingencies at any of the limited, highly-selective schools you applied to this year. If you weren't in touch with POIs this year, maybe do so next time and apply to either a wider pool or one where you have some confirmation not just that your interests are a lock, but that logistical circumstances would permit your admission that cycle. 

Thanks, czesc. I am rather disappointed, too, and have been considering saying 'screw it' to do a MLIS or something instead. My prior good fortune on apps is not holding this year, and I am quite frustrated. But I shall take some time before making a proper decision. 

I've seen three accepts from Michigan and three from Chapel Hill, all posted last Friday. Is it safe to assume that their wave is over and that all those who haven't yet received notification of acceptance or wait listing have been rejected?

I got into two programs so far, rejected from two, and just waiting on the last one. I know which offer I'm probably going to accept but I just want to see if I get into the last school what they'll offer me for funding if anything. It's driving me crazy since no results have been posted so far and I know I'll be a better fit in the other two programs I got into, but I just can't accept an offer without knowing what all my options are. 

I've seen three accepts from Michigan and three from Chapel Hill, all posted last Friday. Is it safe to assume that their wave is over and that all those who haven't yet received notification of acceptance or wait listing have been rejected?

Honestly, after receiving the Ohio State offer on Sunday---A FULL MONTH after their "wave," I would say, it's not over til it's over (i.e.: you've received an official rejection).  That being said, I think there were five UMich acceptances posted on Friday and two on Saturday so I don't think it bodes well for those of us that are still in the wind, but don't give up hope.

What a long, strange application process this has been.

Applied to five programs for 20th c. American: Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, UVa.

Waitlisted by Princeton, rejected by all the others.

Nuts to this. I'm going to learn a programming language and get a real job.

Wait, how do you know you're rejected at Penn?

So…I had a missed call on my phone tonight from NYU, but no message, no email, etc.

Seems a little late for an admit or waitlist? NYU is my undergrad institution, so maybe just a friendly rejection. Thoughts?

No idea- I never actually heard back from them either, but assumed it was a rejection because others were notified a while ago, and the campus visit is coming up. I understand this happens sometimes, but everyone deserves the respect of at least being notified (I mean, we did pay for an application). Fortunately I have three Ivies to choose from  :)  Good luck!