Same POI, different school?

mindnspirit

Hi everyone, I'd really like some other people's thoughts on this situation, as it's pretty strange to me.

I've applied to social programs and so far have gotten flat out rejected or silent rejections (no interview invite). The latest of which was from the University of Pennsylvania. I was a bit confused yesterday because although people had been posting that all interview invitations had been sent, my POI at UPenn emailed me that morning to speak on the phone later that day.

When we spoke, she basically asked me about the research I'm conducting now (senior honors thesis) in addition to what other interests I have. She also asked me about how I first became interested in psychology and how I was liking it, etc. It was at this point that she informed me that I had not been considered super competitive enough by UPenn to be invited for an interview, although she as a faculty member had expressed interest in me. 

Furthermore, she then informed me that she has recently decided to take on a professor position at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign this coming fall. Thus, she mentioned that she would still be taking on a graduate student (and that her current graduate students would be transferring to UIUC I believe), but she is still looking into the logistics of it. She basically mentioned that there is a slight possibility that I could work with her, but at UIUC. However, this would be a very strange and unorthodox process as I didn't even apply to UIUC, and that she would have to talk with the administration. But, she encouraged me to take a look at their website to see what I thought about the school and we can continue our correspondence.

So has anyone been in this sort of position before? I'm just a bit overwhelmed at all of this right now, as I didn't look much into UIUC social because none of the faculty members had similar interests so I know next to nothing about their program or the area itself. Any advice, on any part of this?

I WOULD try especially assuming that that is the only (am I right) chance given to you now. I'd take a risk as she is interested particularly at you - so means your profile have smth persuaded her to work with you even though you're not competitive blah blah blah...... ;) I'd give it a try

In your shoes, I would take some time now to research UIUC as if this was a few months ago to see if you would actually be interested in being a student there. Keep in mind that this prof is moving there though. If having this POI there isn't enough for you to want to be in that program, then I guess the only thing you can really do is decline your POI's generous offer. 

When professors move schools, they usually have some sizeable negotiating power, especially for funding for their current students, which is probably how this POI's students are going to be able to move with her. So, to me, it sounds like she is asking if you are interested so she can know whether or not she should spend time trying to add support for you along with negotiating for her current students. Ultimately, the Graduate School at UIUC will have to accept you for you to be able to go there, but I think having this POI on your side will really help. 

So, if this is your only offer, then I would probably take her up on it unless you think you rather not go to grad school (or reapply another year) than go to UIUC. Otherwise, if you are still waiting for other programs, it might be best to do the research mentioned above, and if you are interested but not completely sure you want to go to UIUC instead of another potential offer, then you should probably tell your POI that. It's okay to let her know that UIUC wasn't originally on your radar but you would be interested in working with her and would like to continue the conversation while keeping in mind that you are still waiting for other schools. It will probably take a while for UIUC to approve the "transfer" anyways.

I guess one tricky situation is that if UIUC becomes your top choice but they have not fully decided if you can attend there while another school has made you a guaranteed offer! But you can worry about that when it happens! 

Finally, on the bright side, you're in a much better position than students who have their advisor move in the middle of their degree (it's not common, but not that rare either). At least in your case, you know about the move before starting, and you would end up doing your PhD all at one place, instead of having to move in the middle. If UIUC approves your "transfer", you have a lot more control over your situation than the students who have their advisors move unexpectedly in the middle of their PhD!

Thank you for all of the replies so far! They have all been quite helpful.

At this point in time, it does not seem like I have many other options, as it appears my application wasn't super competitive (good grades, decent GRE, honors thesis, 2 years undergrad research experience, but no publications or presentations, etc.) enough for most of the schools I applied to. I just think my POI is bringing up this possibility because we have quite a strong overlap in research interests. So I suppose I'm just trying to weigh the option of possibly (if such a transfer actually works and my POI is certain she'd like to take me on) pursuing a PhD at UIUC versus some other kind of predoctoral experience (another professor at a good school has asked if I'd be interested in applying for a 2-year research coordinator position). 

So far, everyone's replies seem to indicate UIUC is definitely a good place to go with a very respectable program. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts! If anyone else has further opinions about UIUC, the program (social, in particular), community life, etc., I'd love to hear them!

So it's a week later and I basically told my POI that I'm interested in pursuing the possibility of me attending to UIUC, assuming she can work things out on her end with the administration. She now asked for a Skype interview later today. I imagine if she was able to convince the administration to take on a graduate student, she would probably also want to have an in person interview. Is this typical for some applicants? Phone, Skype, then (possibly) in person interview? I feel like most of the things I've read indicate either phone or Skype interview, then invited to in person.

Honestly, an in-person interview probably won't happen because, as someone leaving, she doesn't get funds from the current university to fly in students and the new institution's contract hasn't started yet so they wouldn't be paying for the travel either. It's not the worst thing in the world not to be able to visit or have an interview in person. I'm in a different field and my field doesn't do interviews at all and only some schools fly in applicants at their expense. The school where I'm doing my PhD is not one I ever visited. I'd talked to my advisor before, because he'd come to the campus where I did my MA to give a lecture, so that was the extent of our interaction before I got accepted. No phone calls or Skypes or anything. Then after I was admitted, we emailed a few times and I spoke extensively to two of his grad students. It's all worked out pretty okay.

Just another good word about UIUC -- it's a great program in a great college town! PM me if you want more information about Champaign-Urbana or about UIUC in general.  I am moderately familiar with the psych department (I was an undergrad there, and interacted with the psych department some while I was a lab manager in another department), but probably not the best person to ask for specific.

Good luck!

I'm not sure how the social program works at UIUC, but I applied to the clinical program and know that they do not hold in-person interviews prior to making a decision, just hold a recruitment weekend in mid-late March. Perhaps if social works similarly it might be helpful to attend? You still have a bit of time to discuss with your POI, but it might be a nice way to meet students who are seriously considering attending and see the campus.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of being reimbursed or funded to fly out for a visit. Even though your POI has not started their contract, if the department approves of his/her move to accept a student, it is quite possible for them to offer financial support, especially if you are seriously considering attending and your POI has agreed to accept you.

Best of luck!

Whether or not you'll get to fly out for an in-person interview really depends on how much funding the POI has probably. As rising_star said, it's unlikely that the POI's old department will fly you out for someone who is leaving. However, the POI might have their own funds to fly you out! 

I know that when a prof left my current school, he had a ton of funding that had to be used up before he left. So, he flew all of his current students to his new school to help them decide whether or not they would want to move with him or stay here and change advisors. 

If the POI convinces the new school to accept you as a new student, then you would may be treated like any other newly accepted student (but you might also not be) and thus get to visit like any other newly accepted student (if they fly in newly accepted students).