Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dalsynic, I LITERALLY think that it is impossible for you to NOT get in to any of 16 schools you applied to, lol. I'm wishing I had applied to more than my 10 now! 

I sincerely hope you are right! I applied to 4 last year and had no luck (except for one waitlist), so I figured doing that times 4 this year might give me better odds. 

10 is a great number though!

Edited by daisynic

I sincerely hope you are right! I applied to 4 last year and had no luck (except for one waitlist), so I figured doing that times 4 this year might give me better odds. 

10 is a great number though!

I'm positive you will! :) I applied to 3 last year and also landed on one waitlist. Are you applying to your waitlisted school again?

I got two rejections today :( Fortunately they weren't my top choices, but it's making me that much more nervous for the ones I'm really praying for!

I hate that you're in this situation, but know you're not alone! I only applied to five schools. I got rejected from my top choice (UW), then waitlisted to my second choice (PSU). Now one of the other schools I applied to is sending out acceptances and I haven't received one, leading me to believe I didn't get into that one, either. It's really a bummer that after this month, it's possible that an entire year of my life will be wasted probably moseying around until I can try applying again next year since SLPAs are uncommon in my area. Ughughgughsiggsdngos 

Received my first rejection yesterday, from LSU Health Science Center (NO) I knew it was a long shot since I am out of state, but still a sting. :/ Oh well - 8 more to hear from, God has a plan!!! Good luck to everyone applying.

Received my first rejection yesterday, from LSU Health Science Center (NO) I knew it was a long shot since I am out of state, but still a sting. :/ Oh well - 8 more to hear from, God has a plan!!! Good luck to everyone applying.

Sorry, LWill.  The right one will come along.  While I think that is total bull when it comes to relationships, I totally believe it when it comes to graduate school.  

Sorry, LWill.  The right one will come along.  While I think that is total bull when it comes to relationships, I totally believe it when it comes to graduate school.  

Thanks PsycD! You're right - it will work out! Hahah on the relationships! Very true.!! Glad i'm already in one so I don't have to "wait" for the right one to come along. lol

I'm learning so many things about the application process AFTER I applied to schools this year, which is making me cringe every five minutes, but anyway, when you say it was a long shot because you are an out of state resident--does that mean schools often always accept in state students? I was told it was the opposite, like schools may want more out of state students. I'm so confused about everything :( , please don't think I'm stupid I'm really not! Lol

Three rejections: NYU, Columbia, MGH.

10 more schools to go, really hope one of them comes through. I'm getting so nervous.

I'm definitely a less competitive applicant, but I'm hoping for the smaller programs. To have hope, or not?! ... Torn...

Three rejections: NYU, Columbia, MGH.

10 more schools to go, really hope one of them comes through. I'm getting so nervous.

I'm definitely a less competitive applicant, but I'm hoping for the smaller programs. To have hope, or not?! ... Torn...

I'm sorry, Stephanie! Definitely continue to have hope. Ten is a large number of schools, you're bound to hear good news from one of them! Did you hear from NYU today?

I'm learning so many things about the application process AFTER I applied to schools this year, which is making me cringe every five minutes, but anyway, when you say it was a long shot because you are an out of state resident--does that mean schools often always accept in state students? I was told it was the opposite, like schools may want more out of state students. I'm so confused about everything :( , please don't think I'm stupid I'm really not! Lol

No worries!! You are not stupid for asking/thinking that. I am learning a lot too, and never realized the school accepted so few out of state.

I would think typically they do want out-of-state students, especially for the higher tuition causes, but you never know. Since it is a state run school, it is a bit different. I will copy that portion of the e-mail. I definitely don't think every University or Program is like this, but they said their program specifically was only allowed a certain number of spots. I guess it really depends on the program and school? It wasn't up to them - but instead the University. He did say however, if I re-applied, to state that in my letter and they look at that favorably in their decisions. Did you apply for a lot of out of state schools? Might be good to ask this in the future, in the case we don't get accepted. Good luck to you!

"Though you are qualified, you were among a number of out of state applicants. That is an extremely competitive group.

As a state institution, LSUHSC is very restricted on the number of out of state candidates we can accept. Some years it is zero, last year we had 1, and this year we accepted 2 (they were “liberal” this year). This policy is out of the department’s control and the fact is that our faculty would like to have more regional diversity among our students. However, we have no say in the matter.

We had over 150 applicants this year with approximately 35 from out of state. Please know that your lack of admission is no reflection on you."

I'm sorry, Stephanie! Definitely continue to have hope. Ten is a large number of schools, you're bound to hear good news from one of them! Did you hear from NYU today?

Thanks for the support:) I heard from NYU last Thursday. Hopefully you'll get in!!!

No worries!! You are not stupid for asking/thinking that. I am learning a lot too, and never realized the school accepted so few out of state.

I would think typically they do want out-of-state students, especially for the higher tuition causes, but you never know. Since it is a state run school, it is a bit different. I will copy that portion of the e-mail. I definitely don't think every University or Program is like this, but they said their program specifically was only allowed a certain number of spots. I guess it really depends on the program and school? It wasn't up to them - but instead the University. He did say however, if I re-applied, to state that in my letter and they look at that favorably in their decisions. Did you apply for a lot of out of state schools? Might be good to ask this in the future, in the case we don't get accepted. Good luck to you!

"Though you are qualified, you were among a number of out of state applicants. That is an extremely competitive group.

As a state institution, LSUHSC is very restricted on the number of out of state candidates we can accept. Some years it is zero, last year we had 1, and this year we accepted 2 (they were “liberal” this year). This policy is out of the department’s control and the fact is that our faculty would like to have more regional diversity among our students. However, we have no say in the matter.

We had over 150 applicants this year with approximately 35 from out of state. Please know that your lack of admission is no reflection on you."

Ahh thank you for the help! Yea, all the schools I applied to are out of state. My residency is actually Indiana, even though my profile says Maine. All the schools in Indiana are more competitive (IU, Purdue, etc) than what is realistic for me because my own stats are just barely competitive that I didn't even try for them lol. I didn't apply to LSUHSC either but still wondered :) hopefully I won't have to go through this anxiety again next year :o

Stephanie-

Don't lose hope yet... I received one waitlist and 4 rejections before I finally received my first acceptance. I applied to 10 schools as well. Best wishes!

That makes me feel better!! Hopefully ill be in the same situation!! :) hope hope

I came home to find a huge envelope in the mail today from Seton Hall. Obviously, I felt really excited and started shaking. I ripped it open to find a folder containing a piece of letterhead and some other documents. Then I read the letter... confirming my registration for the open house in two weeks. Such disappointment  :blink:

I came home to find a huge envelope in the mail today from Seton Hall. Obviously, I felt really excited and started shaking. I ripped it open to find a folder containing a piece of letterhead and some other documents. Then I read the letter... confirming my registration for the open house in two weeks. Such disappointment  :blink:

What a tease! Hopefully you'll get a better envelope soon!

Has anyone heard from New Mexico State or Illinois state? I see that acceptances have gone out but I have heard nothing. I am really hoping that is not a bad sign /:

Just heard from New Mexico today through postal service, second-tier waitlist :/

Ah! That is the worst! Hopefully you hear some good news soon! 

Just heard from New Mexico today through postal service, second-tier waitlist :/

Try and remember that the more rejections/waitlists you get, the more acceptances you logically should get. You applied to a lot of programs so you were bound to be rejected at some. I know how it feels though because I'm in the same situation. Just curious but did you have any interviews?

Edited by DeafAudi

Try and remember that the more rejections/waitlists you get, the more acceptances you logically should get. You applied to a lot of programs so you were bound to be rejected at some. I know how it feels though because I'm in the same situation. Just curious but did you have any interviews?

'

Unfortunately I did not have any interviews. Hopefully I do hear some good news soon though. 

I hope one of those wait lists turns into an acceptance for you! :D I didn't get any wait lists yet so you got me there.

Edited by DeafAudi

I feel like right now-at least at my university- it's the awkward time where you want to ask people if they've heard back from schools-but you're afraid to hear that they're only rejected (and upset them) or, if they've applied to the same school as you-that they've been accepted/rejected and you've been accepted/rejected, or you haven't heard back. I just really want this waiting to be over!