Stanford EE Fall2014

zaphyr

Please share your experiences and concerns about Stanford Electrical Engineering admissions: I am really getting worried about my status as I haven't got any acknowledgements for an interview and wanted to know if they admit students outright without any interview or not. Can anybody share some clues if knows some

Alright, I guess I should share some of my knowledge. As far as I've known, the fellowship committee has met. I would conjecture that decisions have been made for quite a number of applicants.

The way Stanford admits a large number of applicants, that they have notorious Quals (which technically put those who are yet to find their supervisors in danger), and past-year results on GradCafe would tell me that interviews are not a must for admissions. From my own experience, my interviews with Stanford professors were about getting to know each other and Stanford as well, which tells me that interviews might not be that crucial to admissions.

Cheers ;)

Edited by hikaru1221

Alright, I guess I should share some of my knowledge. As far as I've known, the fellowship committee has met. I would conjecture that decisions have been made for quite a number of applicants.

The way Stanford admits a large number of applicants, that they have notorious Quals (which technically put those who are yet to find their supervisors in danger), and past-year results on GradCafe would tell me that interviews are not a must for admissions. From my own experience, my interviews with Stanford professors were about getting to know each other and Stanford as well, which tells me that interviews might not be that crucial to admissions.

Cheers ;)

Thanks, so you mean you had interview after you offered admission? requesting financial aid at the application form makes it hard to get in? I made it "Yes" and I am worried right now :( 

Thanks, so you mean you had interview after you offered admission? requesting financial aid at the application form makes it hard to get in? I made it "Yes" and I am worried right now :(

Ah I have to emphasize that even though the professors who interviewed me specifically said they would nominate me for the fellowship, they did not say anything explicitly about admissions decision. So the best I can infer is, decisions have been made for some people.

They also told me that the way funding at Stanford works is, EVERYONE would get 1-year fellowship (note: the fellowship for nominated applicants is the 3-year one). I can't be sure of the information - I may misunderstand what the professor meant. Fellowship, the way I understand it, is to give students some "free" time to concentrate on coursework and finding a supervisor without committing to any specific project, and Stanford seems to endeavor to provide such for everyone for at least their first year. By the way, the professors also mentioned the rotational program, where a student can try a number of projects under different professors until the matched one is found. This again consolidates my conjecture.

In any cases, I believe you should not worry much about funding; most PhD applicants demand funding. By the way, I have been assuming you're applying for PhD programs - I don't know anything about MS admissions at Stanford.

Ah I have to emphasize that even though the professors who interviewed me specifically said they would nominate me for the fellowship, they did not say anything explicitly about admissions decision. So the best I can infer is, decisions have been made for some people.

They also told me that the way funding at Stanford works is, EVERYONE would get 1-year fellowship (note: the fellowship for nominated applicants is the 3-year one). I can't be sure of the information - I may misunderstand what the professor meant. Fellowship, the way I understand it, is to give students some "free" time to concentrate on coursework and finding a supervisor without committing to any specific project, and Stanford seems to endeavor to provide such for everyone for at least their first year. By the way, the professors also mentioned the rotational program, where a student can try a number of projects under different professors until the matched one is found. This again consolidates my conjecture.

In any cases, I believe you should not worry much about funding; most PhD applicants demand funding. By the way, I have been assuming you're applying for PhD programs - I don't know anything about MS admissions at Stanford.

That's right I am a PhD applicant. Are you already in the program or you will start this fall, newly admitted? btw congrats :)

That's right I am a PhD applicant. Are you already in the program or you will start this fall, newly admitted? btw congrats :)

I will be starting in the fall. Thanks - although I would avoid unofficial information :)

Mine is communications - roughly speaking.

Is that OK to contact with POI or they don't appreciate it? I haven't done so far and haven't heard them back any word. I appreciate for any suggestions. 

Is that OK to contact with POI or they don't appreciate it? I haven't done so far and haven't heard them back any word. I appreciate for any suggestions. 

I didn't contact any for all the schools I apply to as well.

Among the professors who interviewed me, one was not named in my SOP, while another was but did not seem to be able to take more students (i.e. this professor simply wanted to talk to me). I would say contacting professors may not be that important - if they are interested in a student, they would personally contact the student. Professors are also busy enough to mindfully ignore emails from prospective students - I have seen my professor's mailbox and it was stunning. Besides, at this point, I think contacting them may be just a waste of time, given that your application has gone through certain review rounds.

As far as I understand, Stanford takes in students, letting them going around and finding a suitable supervisor during the school year. Stanford is also notorious for Quals, which usually wipe out a number of those who couldn't find supervisors. As such, I guess it is not mandatory for applicants to be "personally admitted" by POI's before the official admissions. In some cases like UCSD, they even discourage such practice.

The admissions game does a lot of funny things to our minds - so chill :)

I didn't contact any for all the schools I apply to as well.

Among the professors who interviewed me, one was not named in my SOP, while another was but did not seem to be able to take more students (i.e. this professor simply wanted to talk to me). I would say contacting professors may not be that important - if they are interested in a student, they would personally contact the student. Professors are also busy enough to mindfully ignore emails from prospective students - I have seen my professor's mailbox and it was stunning. Besides, at this point, I think contacting them may be just a waste of time, given that your application has gone through certain review rounds.

As far as I understand, Stanford takes in students, letting them going around and finding a suitable supervisor during the school year. Stanford is also notorious for Quals, which usually wipe out a number of those who couldn't find supervisors. As such, I guess it is not mandatory for applicants to be "personally admitted" by POI's before the official admissions. In some cases like UCSD, they even discourage such practice.

The admissions game does a lot of funny things to our minds - so chill :)

Thanks for your helpful information, I think we must hear results in couple of weeks based on last years results in gradcafe 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they started sending out offers yet.  According to an email I got from my POI though, he said they were about done with the admission process last Friday and the offers should go out early this week (I mean obviously he's wrong because Tuesday is over and tomorrow will be mid week lol).  I'm started to get worried too but hopefully they will email out soon.

I don't think they started sending out offers yet.  According to an email I got from my POI though, he said they were about done with the admission process last Friday and the offers should go out early this week (I mean obviously he's wrong because Tuesday is over and tomorrow will be mid week lol).  I'm started to get worried too but hopefully they will email out soon.

congrats, what research area you will work on? he meant PhDs? what about MScs? both are done the same time or different people will do that part? 

umm. don't congratz me lol. i'm also waiting for the result. my poi said that I'm no the shortlist so hopefully they don't cut me out.

I'm actually looking to do power. stanford doesn't really have a power group but my poi (a new professor just hired this year) is looking to start one.

i think he meant PhDs but from previous years it seems like MScs come right after PhDs. I dunno.

Wait so yo

umm. don't congratz me lol. i'm also waiting for the result. my poi said that I'm no the shortlist so hopefully they don't cut me out.

I'm actually looking to do power. stanford doesn't really have a power group but my poi (a new professor just hired this year) is looking to start one.

i think he meant PhDs but from previous years it seems like MScs come right after PhDs. I dunno.

Wait so you are saying that the MS results will come after the Ph.D results?

Do you know if they decide the MS along with the Ph.D's or is it done by a separate committee? 

I applied for only MS and am eager to know!

Thanks

Hey there. I just got accepted via email (for PhD). Visit days are 13-14th.  Not sure what's up with MS stuff though.  Good luck!

Congrats!  Did you have an interview?  What's your field of study?

No interview, though I called up a couple professors a couple months ago and chatted with them / sent them my CV.  In the admissions letter they paired me with an advisor that they picked (Dr. Olav Solgaard), who was one of those professors.

I'm doing photonics.