Media coverage, non-academic authorship on CV?

RedPill

Do you list on your CV instances where you were mentioned in some sort of form of press for the work you've done(i.e. something that's on your CV, not you saving a tree or getting on the jumbo-tron at the ball game)? It can be research, involvement, service - whatever - as long as it's relevant or listed somewhere else your CV.

Do you list authored work that isn't in an academic setting? i.e writing (relevant) articles in a student newspaper, penning an article in a local or state-wide newspaper

NOT blogs or tumblrs. 

Please list your field! I'm in quite a bind here..

• 2 weeks later...

I don't list those kinds of things, but I don't have enough content like that to make me really consider it. For academic jobs (which is what my CV is currently geared towards), I've been told this won't help. On the other hand, I can imagine listing some entries like that, if I had any that were relevant, for e.g. NSF outreach purposes for showing the "broader impacts" of my work. Field: Linguistics. 

I was actually wondering this same thing. I have a section on my CV for community outreach (I've done talks and helped with a film festival and exhibit for my undergrad advisor) but was recently quoted in a local newspaper regarding my area of focus with my MA advisor. I may put it in there but it doesn't feel as though it really fits there. 

Do you list on your CV instances where you were mentioned in some sort of form of press for the work you've done(i.e. something that's on your CV, not you saving a tree or getting on the jumbo-tron at the ball game)? It can be research, involvement, service - whatever - as long as it's relevant or listed somewhere else your CV.

No -  it's already on your C.V. you don't need to add the newspaper announcement.

Do you list authored work that isn't in an academic setting? i.e writing (relevant) articles in a student newspaper, penning an article in a local or state-wide newspaper

Probably. Intellectual/academic work doesn't need to be locked up for only those in the academy. If you've found a way to make your research interests relevent and understandable to the public - kudos to you!

There is a bit of a lengthy debate on public intellectuals. I certainly think it is an honorable aim. 

So if you think the work fills out the picture of who you are (i.e. a wonderful research who is also able to communicate with the lay-public) then yes! certainly list it.

In my case, I have several(8) newspaper/radio/TV mentions. Some are relevant to my research/academic work and others are related to my student leadership.

I think I'll include it. I'm an undergrad, stuff like that might be somewhat impressive imo.

And yes, I'm a firm believer in being a researcher for the people. Then again... I am in the field of higher education/higher ed policy. Only makes sense to display that desire if not skill. You can't have much social sciences without the social. :)

Thanks for the replies. 

Edited by RedPill

• 3 weeks later...

My old PI would list whenever he was featured on TV or radio or if a major publication wrote about one of our papers (usually just the website reusing the press release for the article).

I think it depends on your field and what you hope to gain from it.

Every poem I've published is on my CV. Every reading I've been party to is on my CV, though readings aren't usually on CVs. The novel I've been typing at for the past three years is on my CV. The one time one of my poems was totally ripped and published as part of a larger op-ed "lifestyle" piece in the local newspaper is on my CV. The classes I've substitute taught in are on my CV. When my first name is Doctor, I will take them off my CV because, yeah, who cares if I subbed in a gen lit class half a decade ago, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a section on my CV for service activities, because those are important in my field. 

I don't think I would list non-academic publications - that seems like padding the CV to me.

In my field, the answer is yes and yes.

My adviser encouraged me to add a "media coverage" section to my CV and list times that my research was mentioned in the press.  The reason is because it shows that your research gets regional or national notice; most institutions would be interested in a scholar who can increase the profile of their school by getting featured in the news.  It's different from publishing, which is why it gets a separate notice.  Otherwise, how will anyone know?  You need to promote yourself.

Also yes for the second one.  There are several students in my program who write articles for newspapers - one was a regular columnist for the Huffington Post and another frequently wrote social science interest articles for the Boston Globe and a bunch of other newspapers.  Yes list them!  Again, you give your school a different kind of notoriety when you do this - the kind that could attract the interest of parents of college-bound seniors or philanthropists who like your work or companies that want to partner with you to get research done.  Just put them under a separate subheading - "non-peer reviewed publications," perhaps.  Or "popular media work."

My fields are psychology and public health, and this would be desirable in either of them.  In fact, our faculty blurbs list the media features our professors have been in.