Communication with Graduate Admissions committees

I got an email from someone on the graduate admissions committee at my top choice! I have no idea how to respond. Do I call this person "Professor" according to the signature; do I use first names? I don't think this is appropriate but then I feel weird because they might prefer it.. 

Also, should I only answer the questions presented to me, and wait until I hear more? 

Freaking out here. 

Air on the side of formal. Let them dictate the relationship (i.e. when to use first name).

example-

Salutations Professor Pond,

To briefly answer your question, yes it is bigger on the inside. Thank you for the concern and thank you for contacting me about this.

I hope you have a really wonderful semester.

Regards,
Rory

Ah, the oldest question, hidden in plain sight! 

Sorry, just kidding. BowTiesAreCool is correct, always err on the side of formality. Is this someone from the department, not the school admissions office? I would google them just to make sure 'professor' is in fact correct (if you don't already know). But yes, save first names for when/if they explicitly ask you to "Call me Bob."

I always say "Dr." (if they have PhD after their name)! Answer the question they asked, and depending on what it is you can maybe also add that you're very excited about the prospect of being a student at University of XYZ.

I always say "Dr." (if they have PhD after their name)! Answer the question they asked, and depending on what it is you can maybe also add that you're very excited about the prospect of being a student at University of XYZ.

Professor is preferred, I believe. 

I always use "Professor." It's more formal than "Dr." As for signing off, I usually end e-mails to grad admissions committees with, "I look forward to hearing from X School," which I feel is appropriately neutral.

For the most part, I would stick with the questions posed. Do you have other questions about the program (besides whether you got in) that aren't answered on the website?

Edited by shortstack51

I would definitely go with professor as a term of address, but "salutations" is way overboard. And while I agree that you should ERR ( air, really? The English language is crying, my future PhD.) on the side of caution, to me that means being respectful and being yourself. I would start with a simple "Professor X" or " Dear Professor X"; certainly answer the questions, but also express your excitement at attending his program ( or even the prospect of working with him) and your appreciation for the time he is taking in evaluating your candidacy. "Fit" is a big buzzword in grad acceptance decisions. If I were you, I would emphasize and show the ways in which you are a good "fit" (and use that word") for this particular program. Good Luck!

PS If you really want to make the effort, analyze the Prof's writing style. If he uses ellipses and dashes and semi- colons ( most do) then put them in. For some reason excess punctuation = intelligence. I've picked up the habit. And for your own good--Proofread!!

I would definitely go with professor as a term of address, but "salutations" is way overboard. And while I agree that you should ERR ( air, really? The English language is crying, my future PhD.) on the side of caution, to me that means being respectful and being yourself. I would start with a simple "Professor X" or " Dear Professor X"; certainly answer the questions, but also express your excitement at attending his program ( or even the prospect of working with him) and your appreciation for the time he is taking in evaluating your candidacy. "Fit" is a big buzzword in grad acceptance decisions. If I were you, I would emphasize and show the ways in which you are a good "fit" (and use that word") for this particular program. Good Luck!

PS If you really want to make the effort, analyze the Prof's writing style. If he uses ellipses and dashes and semi- colons ( most do) then put them in. For some reason excess punctuation = intelligence. I've picked up the habit. And for your own good--Proofread!!

Ha! Look at that silly typo. That's what I get for updating while at my desk job!

I always use "Professor." It's more formal than "Dr." As for signing off, I usually end e-mails to grad admissions committees with, "I look forward to hearing from X School," which I feel is appropriately neutral.

For the most part, I would stick with the questions posed. Do you have other questions about the program (besides whether you got in) that aren't answered on the website?

At my university, I used "Dr." I thought professor was for someone tenured. Am I wrong?