Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

If I knew any of you lived near me, I would definitely suggest an "anxiously-waiting meetup" to go have a drink and good food and talk about our projects. The rule: you can't refresh your email...AT ALL. (But only because it would be after 5 pm and, come on, someone has to force us not to be ridiculous, right?)

Calling all Pacific Northwest applicants for anxiety-induced crying session. 

If I knew any of you lived near me, I would definitely suggest an "anxiously-waiting meetup" to go have a drink and good food and talk about our projects. The rule: you can't refresh your email...AT ALL. (But only because it would be after 5 pm and, come on, someone has to force us not to be ridiculous, right?)

That would just be lovely! I feel like no one else understands us, haha.

Hey everybody! This is my first post. I'm a longtime lurker on this forum. I was accepted for an ETA to Indonesia last week, and was wondering if any other prospective Indonesia ETAs are out there and want to exchange information. Curiosity about location assignments is killing me! I'd also love to just see where the other ETAs are coming from, their interests, etc.

Here's a link to a google doc so that we can set up an email thread: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12jspPfcpQYtkNlHZnCgrqZXCrSKvU6Agj8xbdtGPO2w/edit#gid=0

Same here, I really need to crank out my thesis in this last month before I graduate, but the only thing on my mind is that email!!!! C'mon Taiwan... maybe next week??

Waiting anxiously for Taiwan as well! I have finals this week and this has not been good for keeping up with studying...  <_<

Edited by rockrmoose

Do you guys have any suggestions on whom I should contact?  (Fulbright advisor?)  Or should I just sit still?

And is anyone else still waiting for any Fulbright correspondence regarding Germany?

Edited by Stopthat

I'm so jealous about all of these notifications! Canada, historically, doesn't tell people their status till mid-April. It's so hard to wait!

I don't know how much longer I can wait for Jordan to send out notifications.

Jack_sad.gif

Don't worry, y'all. It'll come! Mine was so out of the blue! Fulbright, what are you doing to us?!

On another note, how are your families feeling regarding possibly moving to Jordan? With the whole ISIS situation, my parents really don't want me in Turkey, and it's relatively safe compared to some others. Just curious....

Do you guys have any suggestions on whom I should contact? (Fulbright advisor?) Or should I just sit still?

And is anyone else still waiting for any Fulbright correspondence regarding Germany?

I wouldn't contact anyone! If there is an issue, deal with it after you're awarded the Fulbright. They could take your application out of the running if you speak too soon, but they won't take it away from you if there is an issue after you've been awarded

Don't worry, y'all. It'll come! Mine was so out of the blue! Fulbright, what are you doing to us?!

On another note, how are your families feeling regarding possibly moving to Jordan? With the whole ISIS situation, my parents really don't want me in Turkey, and it's relatively safe compared to some others. Just curious....

My family is more comfortable with it now. I lived in Morocco for a semester of undergrad, but after I graduated I bought a plane ticket to Ben-Gurion while the summer Gaza war was still happening to go do an internship in the West Bank without telling them... LOL. Like literally I said "Hey mom and dad... guess what." As a first generation student from a rural town I also have the blessing/curse of them not having a ton of context for what's happening in the world so the less information they have is probably the best. 

This seems mild to them because at least they can mentally prepare for it. Also they know I have a LOT of connections to people in Amman so they're more comfortable with it (a very close friend from high school's extended family all lives there).

Edited by jadesg1

I haven't been able to stop talking/stressing about Fulbright since the summer so I've definitely massaged my family into being okay with it. I also just told my family that if Fulbright didn't come through I was moving to Jordan to do my project anyway. So they know I'm pretty serious about it.

I haven't been able to stop talking/stressing about Fulbright since the summer so I've definitely massaged my family into being okay with it. I also just told my family that if Fulbright didn't come through I was moving to Jordan to do my project anyway. So they know I'm pretty serious about it.

Boomshahkolaka,

Have you lived in the MidEast/North Africa before? I found that my family was really, really anxious initially but after I'd actually gained some experience they'd calmed down a bit! Curious if you've had a similar experience. 

Hey everybody! This is my first post. I'm a longtime lurker on this forum. I was accepted for an ETA to Indonesia last week, and was wondering if any other prospective Indonesia ETAs are out there and want to exchange information. Curiosity about location assignments is killing me! I'd also love to just see where the other ETAs are coming from, their interests, etc.

Here's a link to a google doc so that we can set up an email thread: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12jspPfcpQYtkNlHZnCgrqZXCrSKvU6Agj8xbdtGPO2w/edit#gid=0

Hi! I'm another of the Indonesian ETAs. There's also MudcatJR! :)

Awesome to meet you. I'll put my name on the email list but maybe we could create a FB group/Google Hangout too or something?

Has anyone tried to contact the Fulbright commission in the country they applied for to ask about expected announcement dates? I'm so temped to email or tweet them.

NOT a good idea.

Hey everyone! I've been trying to find a way to reach out to other students who were given a Fulbright to Japan....but I haven't had much luck. Should I just make a FB page and just hope that some eventually finds it lol. Its really frustrating, I have tried searching on twitter, FB, and even Tumblr for anyone who has announced there grant status.

Boomshahkolaka,

Have you lived in the MidEast/North Africa before? I found that my family was really, really anxious initially but after I'd actually gained some experience they'd calmed down a bit! Curious if you've had a similar experience. 

Jadesg1 - I haven't lived in the Middle East before but I've certainly visit. And my family is Iranian so the Middle East is not a scary/far-off place :)

hi all! first time poster here - received a research/study grant to india yesterday! congrats to everyone else who has heard, as well. to those who will be in india and happen to see this, should we start a Facebook group? 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know if there's a place to see program placements for ETAs from last year? I'm interested in Turkey in particular.

(Of course, on the same day I find out that I've gotten Fulbright, I'm already getting anxious about location. What is wrong with me?!)

Hi everyone, I guess I am a little late jumping on the bandwagon because I just discovered this website.  I just found out yesterday that I got the ETA for Germany!  I was reading some of the posts from the last few days and that was totally me - I was freaking out every time I saw an email come through on my phone, and when I  finally saw an email come in from Fulbright, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I could not breathe.  I actually had to have my Fulbright adviser open it and read it for me, haha.  Now that we have our notifications, I'd love to connect with some of the other ETAs headed to Germany.  :)  Congratulations to everyone who got notified, and to everyone for making it this far!