Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Has anyone received the Grant Authorization Document or Program Terms & Conditions for the Study/Research grant from the Germany commission? (3/25)

Nein

my typical day:

7am: it's a new dawn! a new day! enjoy these next two hours of peace.

9am: it begins! not-so-stealthily check your phone during classes, remain disappointed.

10am: email notifications start rolling in from activities, student bookstore, my grandma. give it up grandma! i'm not obsessively checking my inbox for you!

11am: reassure yourself that it's still early and today could still be The Day

12pm: notifications from other countries start rolling in. seethe in bitter jealousy. who wants to go to genovia/atlantis/etc anyway?

12:05pm: smile thru the bitterness and post a half-hearted 'congrats!'

1pm: now all these email notifications from student government and change.org are just mocking you

3pm: the day is winding down. your hope is slipping away.

3:15pm: stare at spreadsheets of past years, trying to determine some kind of pattern you missed the last 1200 times you did this

4:30pm: whine at your mom

4:35pm: mom hangs up on you, doesn't want to hear about it anymore

4:55pm: what if it comes in the last five minutes???!!!

5:00pm: (it didn't)

rest of the evening: wonder if any notifications have ever come in past 5pm, do the things that life asks of you on a daily basis, and wait to do it all over again

They think something is wrong with me at work because I am laughing so HARD. It's funny because it's true!

my typical day:

7am: it's a new dawn! a new day! enjoy these next two hours of peace.

9am: it begins! not-so-stealthily check your phone during classes, remain disappointed.

10am: email notifications start rolling in from activities, student bookstore, my grandma. give it up grandma! i'm not obsessively checking my inbox for you!

11am: reassure yourself that it's still early and today could still be The Day

12pm: notifications from other countries start rolling in. seethe in bitter jealousy. who wants to go to genovia/atlantis/etc anyway?

12:05pm: smile thru the bitterness and post a half-hearted 'congrats!'

1pm: now all these email notifications from student government and change.org are just mocking you

3pm: the day is winding down. your hope is slipping away.

3:15pm: stare at spreadsheets of past years, trying to determine some kind of pattern you missed the last 1200 times you did this

4:30pm: whine at your mom

4:35pm: mom hangs up on you, doesn't want to hear about it anymore

4:55pm: what if it comes in the last five minutes???!!!

5:00pm: (it didn't)

rest of the evening: wonder if any notifications have ever come in past 5pm, do the things that life asks of you on a daily basis, and wait to do it all over again

This had me giggling like a buffoon in a crowded bus! Thank you for I needed that. I just wish folks at my alma mater stop sending me emails reminding me of events and stuff.

Just found out I didn't get accepted into another program I applied to... Volunteers in Asia. :( Really really really hope I get the Fulbright. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do....

Just found out I didn't get accepted into another program I applied to... Volunteers in Asia. :( Really really really hope I get the Fulbright. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do....

Sorry :( Fingers crossed for Fulbright for you!

:C sorry rockrmoose. Don't worry, though. This other rocker moose things everything will be totally cool, duuude!Stoney.png

I'm not happy to be considering this possibility, but here goes: Does anyone know of any cases in which a person has received a Fulbright ETA grant (for Germany, in this case), had to reject it for one reason or another, and then re-applied the next year? Do you think the Fulbright commission would hold it against them for having rejected the offer previously? Is it harder to apply during grad school than during undergrad? Please let me know if you have any experience with this or know anybody who does! Thanks.

I'm not happy to be considering this possibility, but here goes: Does anyone know of any cases in which a person has received a Fulbright ETA grant (for Germany, in this case), had to reject it for one reason or another, and then re-applied the next year? Do you think the Fulbright commission would hold it against them for having rejected the offer previously? Is it harder to apply during grad school than during undergrad? Please let me know if you have any experience with this or know anybody who does! Thanks.

Your application decision one year will never affect the next year. They cannot judge people because they had to turn it down for one reason or another. IIE is incredibly impartial and helpful. I had to deal with them when I won a Boren scholarship.

It's no harder as a grad student than it is as an undergraduate. If anything, it might be easier to win as a grad student because you have more experience. So no need to stress ☺️

Sorry :( Fingers crossed for Fulbright for you!

:C sorry rockrmoose. Don't worry, though. This other rocker moose things everything will be totally cool, duuude!Stoney.png

I can't stress enough how supportive and caring this group is!! Thank you Chris and RosyPosy :) Definitely made me laugh!

Is there anyone out there waiting for Eurasia? (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine) Do y'all know whether any of those do interviews? 

Hi there! I am a Moldova applicant.  As far as I know, Eurasia generally does not conduct interviews (with the exception of Russia, which ALWAYS interviews), but I know more and more countries are choosing to interview each year.  I have yet to hear that an applicant was asked to interview for Eurasia this application season. To which Eurasian country did you apply?  

Your application decision one year will never affect the next year. They cannot judge people because they had to turn it down for one reason or another. IIE is incredibly impartial and helpful. I had to deal with them when I won a Boren scholarship.

It's no harder as a grad student than it is as an undergraduate. If anything, it might be easier to win as a grad student because you have more experience. So no need to stress ☺️

Thanks so much for your help! That's a great relief to hear. I feel like I'll only be a better candidate after grad school because I'll have just completed a teacher prep program, but we'll just have to see how it all works out. Thanks again!

Hi there! I am a Moldova applicant.  As far as I know, Eurasia generally does not conduct interviews (with the exception of Russia, which ALWAYS interviews), but I know more and more countries are choosing to interview each year.  I have yet to hear that an applicant was asked to interview for Eurasia this application season. To which Eurasian country did you apply?  

Azerbaijan. Did you apply for an ETA or research? I'm kinda assuming we've got about a month before we hear anything still.

Edited by mberns

Azerbaijan. Did you apply for an ETA or research? I'm kinda assuming we've got about a month before we hear anything still.

I applied for research.  I agree with you, I was hoping that we would miraculously hear back this month but at this point I think we shouldn't expect anything until at least the middle of April.  Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for your help! That's a great relief to hear. I feel like I'll only be a better candidate after grad school because I'll have just completed a teacher prep program, but we'll just have to see how it all works out. Thanks again!

Actually, I was just told by someone that I shouldn't have a masters degree in education while applying to become an ETA. Is that true?

Actually, I was just told by someone that I shouldn't have a masters degree in education while applying to become an ETA. Is that true?

I did Germany ETA and knew a few folks that had a Masters in education. Why did they say it would be held against you?

Wait, whaynes2, you did a Boren scholarship? I applied to Boren and Fulbright ETA this year. Haven't heard anything back, but if somehow a miracle happens and I get both, I have been weighing which one might be better. Thoughts?

Wait, whaynes2, you did a Boren scholarship? I applied to Boren and Fulbright ETA this year. Haven't heard anything back, but if somehow a miracle happens and I get both, I have been weighing which one might be better. Thoughts?

Hey! Yeah, I did the Boren Scholarship (not fellowship). Where did you apply for the Boren and Fulbright to? The Boren comes with the stipulation that you must work for the government. If you're wanting language practice and to do independent research or whatever, I'd say go with the Boren. If you just want a prestigious fellowship on your résumé, I'd take the Fulbright (especially if you don't want to work in the public sector). 

Personally, I think the Fulbright is more prestigious, but the language training you will get out of the Boren might help you more in the long run if you need it!

I did Germany ETA and knew a few folks that had a Masters in education. Why did they say it would be held against you?

I think it depends on the country and its specifications. For example, the ETA program that I am applying to wants students in the field of either American Studies or Education and prefers candidates at the Master's level and candidates with "extensive teaching experience". I am doing my MA in Social Studies Education and am a finalist. I don't know how that will translate into actually getting the ETA (as far as I know, none of the ETAs in the past two years in my program have had a Master's in education) but it hasn't hurt me so far. Also, I was able to talk about my practicum placements on my application essays. However, some countries prefer candidates with "some teaching experience," and I read an interview with a higher-up in Fulbright who said that since it is a student program, they discourage experienced teachers (ie teachers who have taught in a K-12 classroom for more than 4 years) or students with masters' in TESOL to apply.

That being said, as somebody who is currently in a teacher prep program, I do NOT recommend that you wait to do Fulbright until after you do your master's, especially if you've already been accepted. Generally, you will get your teacher's license right after you graduate from a teacher's prep program, and you need to complete certain actions to keep your certification valid like professional development. Spending a year outside of the country makes it harder for you to keep your certification valid. Additionally, since most school districts only do in-person interviews, it is extremely hard for one to find a job if they are out of the country during teacher "hiring season." Teacher prep programs prepare you for the very specific task of teaching either elementary ed or a specific subject in an American school context, which is probably vastly different than the context you will encounter in your Fulbright (although I do not know the specifics for Germany). I have learned a lot in my teacher prep program and I know most of it will be helpful in any teaching context, but I am not quite sure at this point what I can apply from working with seventh graders if I end up getting the Fulbright and teaching college students. Finally, I feel that right now, a month and a half away from graduation and in the midst of student teaching, I am really ready to teach middle school in the US because I have lots of practice and am quite used to being observed. I'm used to the professional United States school context. I'm not sure I'll feel the same sense of preparation when I begin working in the US if I end up teaching abroad next year. 

In short, I wish I had applied for Fulbright BEFORE doing a master's teacher-prep program. The only reason I didn't apply last year was because I ended up switching my undergrad graduation year at the last minute and I couldn't plan ahead like I wanted, but I am definitely regretting it now. 

I think it depends on the country and its specifications. For example, the ETA program that I am applying to wants students in the field of either American Studies or Education and prefers candidates at the Master's level and candidates with "extensive teaching experience". I am doing my MA in Social Studies Education and am a finalist. I don't know how that will translate into actually getting the ETA (as far as I know, none of the ETAs in the past two years in my program have had a Master's in education) but it hasn't hurt me so far. Also, I was able to talk about my practicum placements on my application essays. However, some countries prefer candidates with "some teaching experience," and I read an interview with a higher-up in Fulbright who said that since it is a student program, they discourage experienced teachers (ie teachers who have taught in a K-12 classroom for more than 4 years) or students with masters' in TESOL to apply.

That being said, as somebody who is currently in a teacher prep program, I do NOT recommend that you wait to do Fulbright until after you do your master's, especially if you've already been accepted. Generally, you will get your teacher's license right after you graduate from a teacher's prep program, and you need to complete certain actions to keep your certification valid like professional development. Spending a year outside of the country makes it harder for you to keep your certification valid. Additionally, since most school districts only do in-person interviews, it is extremely hard for one to find a job if they are out of the country during teacher "hiring season." Teacher prep programs prepare you for the very specific task of teaching either elementary ed or a specific subject in an American school context, which is probably vastly different than the context you will encounter in your Fulbright (although I do not know the specifics for Germany). I have learned a lot in my teacher prep program and I know most of it will be helpful in any teaching context, but I am not quite sure at this point what I can apply from working with seventh graders if I end up getting the Fulbright and teaching college students. Finally, I feel that right now, a month and a half away from graduation and in the midst of student teaching, I am really ready to teach middle school in the US because I have lots of practice and am quite used to being observed. I'm used to the professional United States school context. I'm not sure I'll feel the same sense of preparation when I begin working in the US if I end up teaching abroad next year. 

In short, I wish I had applied for Fulbright BEFORE doing a master's teacher-prep program. The only reason I didn't apply last year was because I ended up switching my undergrad graduation year at the last minute and I couldn't plan ahead like I wanted, but I am definitely regretting it now. 

Wow, thanks so much. That's all really helpful information. I kind of suspected that there might be some hidden repercussions to interrupting that transition from certification to career, so that's really good to know. Thanks a ton!

Hey! Thanks for clearing up my misconception of if an ETA would be easier to get as an undergrad vs graduate. I applied for the full grant, so I don't know about all those nuances. ☺️