Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Does anybody know if it's possible to do the USTA in Austria after the Fulbright ETA in Germany, or do they prefer not to select Fulbrighters? I wish I'd known more about USTA during the application period-- it seems great, too!

I have this same question, but I always imagined that it would be totally feasible. I considered the possibility, but honestly, if I get the USTA, I don't think i can wait a full year to go to Austria. I think USTA often feels like they are short on good candidates though (one of the Professors at IES Study Abroad Vienna told me this, and I think her husband is on the Fulbright commission), so I don't think Fulbright would count against you! Totally just my two cents though.

Hmm. The pre-grantee portal seems to ask for a "Fulbright Program Terms & Conditions Form" to be submitted along with the Grant Authorization, but the commission didn't send me a form of this type, just a booklet full of terms and conditions. Anyone else facing this issue? Thinking of just making and signing a form that says "I agree to the terms and conditions in the booklet" or something like that.

I'd send something to the area contact, but they already didn't answer my last e-mail about the grant authorization document.

Edited by Aroma Black

I have this same question, but I always imagined that it would be totally feasible. I considered the possibility, but honestly, if I get the USTA, I don't think i can wait a full year to go to Austria. I think USTA often feels like they are short on good candidates though (one of the Professors at IES Study Abroad Vienna told me this, and I think her husband is on the Fulbright commission), so I don't think Fulbright would count against you! Totally just my two cents though.

It's definitely possible; I know of two people off the top of my head who were accepted into USTA after our Fulbright year. 

Hmm. The pre-grantee portal seems to ask for a "Fulbright Program Terms & Conditions Form" to be submitted along with the Grant Authorization, but the commission didn't send me a form of this type, just a booklet full of terms and conditions. Anyone else facing this issue? Thinking of just making and signing a form that says "I agree to the terms and conditions in the booklet" or something like that.

I'd send something to the area contact, but they already didn't answer my last e-mail about the grant authorization document.

I'm pretty sure it's on the fulbright website... Check this out. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/current-fulbrighters/grant-terms-and-conditions

I'm pretty sure it's on the fulbright website... Check this out. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/current-fulbrighters/grant-terms-and-conditions

Thanks; this works for a non-commission country, and it's kind of what I'd expect, but the terms and conditions I received from the commission for the country I'm headed to don't have anywhere to initial or anything at the end to sign like that one does.

Thanks; this works for a non-commission country, and it's kind of what I'd expect, but the terms and conditions I received from the commission for the country I'm headed to don't have anywhere to initial or anything at the end to sign like that one does.

For Germany (a commission country), the second e-mail sent to study/research recipients stated that the grant authorization and the full terms and conditions would come in three weeks. I think the forms are due two weeks after receiving this second mailing. Perhaps it is different for your commission, but it looks like Germany recipients have to wait a bit longer.

I applied to Russia and they emailed us saying we won't hear our results until mid-April. :(

Does anyone know about Kazakhstan/Central Asia? I've been infuriated for a week and a half because India (technically in the same South/Central Asia region) found out surprisingly early. Do Central Asia and Eurasia tend to coincide? Anyone applying to Central Asia anyway?

Hey! I'm applying to Tajikistan! I am hoping for earlier notifications, because my interviewer said they were sending their rankings to DC around late February. So, basically all that is left is the Fulbright board certification. Except, in the past Tajikistan notifies the last week in April? Basically no idea what is going on/taking so long. Happy to see another Central Asian applicant though!

It's definitely possible; I know of two people off the top of my head who were accepted into USTA after our Fulbright year. 

Hey! I checked out your blog and was linked to your email, so I sent you a few questions! Just wanted to give you a heads up :)

biggest email notification disappointment so far: 9am monday morning email is a notification that my debit card was just used in mexico to buy 800 dollars of merchandise at an amusement park. fraud. sigh. now i have no money for a week until the bank gets me a new card. but if i just got some good fulbright news i wouldn't need food, my happiness would sustain me.

biggest email notification disappointment so far: 9am monday morning email is a notification that my debit card was just used in mexico to buy 800 dollars of merchandise at an amusement park. fraud. sigh. now i have no money for a week until the bank gets me a new card. but if i just got some good fulbright news i wouldn't need food, my happiness would sustain me.

:( Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get some great Fulbright news to balance that out... and sustain you.

Edited by Chris1

"my happiness would sustain me" omg so true hahaha, but that sucks about your debit card, I hope it's sorted out soon!

The Fulbright 2016-2017 discussion board has already been started...the first post:

"Now that results for 2015 - 2016 are more or less out, just thought we might get a thread going for those applying this upcoming cycle!"

Ahh, if only that were true!!

Let's hope that we have a week full of notifications!

Caroe, I didn't apply to Central Asia (I applied to Moldova), but I did live in Kazakhstan for two years! It was through the Princeton in Asia Fellowship program, and I hung out with the Fulbright-ers while there. Let me know if you have questions about life there!

Cml, it might take a while for Tajikistan possibly due to Visas (which I think might be why it takes so long for Kazakhstan as well). I'm not a representative and am just speaking from my experience there, but just a thought.

Edited by catsushi

I guess they've been prepping for the opening of the 2016-2017 application and haven't had the chance to send out any results... 

Ugh that would be so frustrating if they HAD approved decisions and didn't take the time to send them.