Stanford SHIPS

rync

I applied for a ph.d. Program.

Haven't heard much from them and it doesn't look like there are too many results from previous years.

Anyone know when we should hear from them?

I emailed a POI last week and she said they weren't through them all yet. It's a competitive program (naturally) so I'm guessing the lack of results on this site reflects selectivity and may not be so accurate. 

Best of luck to you.  :)

According to the results search, last year notifications for Stanford Ed Ph.D.s went out on 2/1, year before that was around 2/9. So, we're getting close!

Edited by CAda

I'm a DAPS applicant - not sure about the different cohort sizes.

I did notice that a few people reported informal interviews, so my guess is that applicants who are being considered will hear from the POI soon to chat. 

I'm a DAPS applicant - not sure about the different cohort sizes.

I did notice that a few people reported informal interviews, so my guess is that applicants who are being considered will hear from the POI soon to chat. 

I just skimmed through the results and didn't pay close attention, but was this on the results page?

Yup, the ones I saw were posted on 1/21/13 and 1/24/13 and it looks like they were accepted shortly after. I'm also drawing on anecdotal evidence in that my POI's current grad students say that he would only take a student if he had had an informal interview with them first.

But I'm also obsessively digging through/over-analyzing any information I have to get clues as to when we might hear back, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :-)

Edited by CAda

Yeah, I am waiting to hear from SHIPS Phd as well.  Did anyone else apply to Columbia Econ and Education PhD or Northwestern Human Dev. & Social Policy PhD? These three are my top choices, but quite nervous. Lets hope we all get into our choices!

Looks like all of the rejections, mine included, came out today.

Same. And I got the "considered for the Master's program" comment which opens up so many questions about acceptance rates and funding (my degree is humanities, so I might consider the MA).

Same. And I got the "considered for the Master's program" comment which opens up so many questions about acceptance rates and funding (my degree is humanities, so I might consider the MA).

You applied for SHIPS PhD and got a rejection with a "considered for the Master's program" option? 

I also got run down by the ships rejection train. being considered for the master's.

"Although the admissions committee was not able to recommend you for admission to the doctoral program at this time, I am pleased to tell you that you are being considered for our master's program in Policy, Organization and Leadership Studies."

It's so funny because I emailed admissions in order to find out the status and a few hours later, I got the rejection e-mail.

Well, congrats to those who got in (although I don't think many are on gradcafe).

I went out on a limb applying since I knew that most doctorate programs for education accept people with experience in higher ed.

Looks like I'll be getting a Ph.D. in sociology instead!

You applied for SHIPS PhD and got a rejection with a "considered for the Master's program" option? 

Yup. On the application, I said I would be willing. Got the same message as HigherEdPhDApp. The MA is full-time for a year and there are probably SO many people being "considered" when you think about the PhD rejections and the normal MA applicants. 

Thanks for the heads up--I didn't even realize I had received a rejection email from Stanford for the SHIPS PhD until I read this list because the message had been sent to a folder of my email rather than my inbox. I gave Stanford my best shot and I am disappointed. Even so, I've received three offers to date for good state schools in different parts of the country and I'm grateful for some options and for the guidance of a closed door.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015 at 2:54 PM, Songbird222 said:

Hey there, is anyone else on here applying for Stanford's SHIPS program for Fall 2016? 

Me! :) tough luck, though, judging from previous years' threads..

• 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, December 01, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Songbird222 said:

Hey there, is anyone else on here applying for Stanford's SHIPS program for Fall 2016? 

I am! Educational Policy. I will keep you all updated if I get news of any sort.