DId anyone respond to this SOP question?

So I'm applying to Kean University, and the million dollar question is;

"Imagine that you have the opportunity to travel back through time, at what point in history would you like to stop and why?"

I find this question to be refreshing and different from the common SLP personal statement questions- BUT at the same time I thought is this a trick question?

Because if you were to ask me when I really wanted to go back I'd say: when dinosaurs roamed the planet, when JFK was still around, the moment when the UFO landed in Roswell, or the 80s to see how my parents really met, (you get the point)

But this is for a speech school, so I feel OBLIGATED to make it speech related. I'm wondering are they testing my creative writing skills or my logic?

I do plan on making it speech related just to save my AAAAAApplication loll but I'm interested in what others have to say? (* If you did apply to this school, you don't have to say what you placed in your essay because I know how crazy people are with plagiarism and if you didn't, what would you do?)

I had a question that was also not speech related. The faculty said they wanted to get to know the applicants in a different way. If speech is your answer then I'm sure that's great, but I bet they'd love to get to know who you are outside of speech! Is this your only essay for Kean, or is this just one of a couple? If it was your only essay, I'd be more hesitant to make it non-speech related but I'd try asking the faculty (anonymously over the phone lol) if there is something in particular they are looking for or if it's mainly to get to know you

I mean why don't you be genuine. To me, the question isn't a trick to speak to something speech related. It a question to see the type of person you are and how you formulate your answer. After all, this is a writing sample. Besides it will help you stand out as an applicant.

Anyway - I think if I could go back in time. I would go back to the early 1900s. I would have loved to been part of the women's suffrage movement. I consider myself a feminist now but I wonder if it only because of the luxuries that have been awarded to me because of powerful women like Susan B Anthony, Alice Paul and Lucy Burns.

In my SOP I would talk about the opportunities that these women have given and relate it to who I am today: stong, independent, educated, and here is where I would throw a little bone in to speech. Nothing too blatant but enough to remind them that I am applying to their program.

How many words?

Lol this question would have pissed me off so badly.

I think a good route would be to do what ImpulsiveNixie said... pick a time where you could have had an active role in a significant movement/event and use that to discuss the personal characteristics you want to showcase.

So I'm applying to Kean University, and the million dollar question is;

"Imagine that you have the opportunity to travel back through time, at what point in history would you like to stop and why?"

I find this question to be refreshing and different from the common SLP personal statement questions- BUT at the same time I thought is this a trick question?

Because if you were to ask me when I really wanted to go back I'd say: when dinosaurs roamed the planet, when JFK was still around, the moment when the UFO landed in Roswell, or the 80s to see how my parents really met, (you get the point)

But this is for a speech school, so I feel OBLIGATED to make it speech related. I'm wondering are they testing my creative writing skills or my logic?

I do plan on making it speech related just to save my AAAAAApplication loll but I'm interested in what others have to say? (* If you did apply to this school, you don't have to say what you placed in your essay because I know how crazy people are with plagiarism and if you didn't, what would you do?)

I applied to Kean and responded to this question too. I totally found this SO FREAKING HARD to write and don't like this question. I like for things to be simple and straight forward and my first instinct was to relate it to Speech just like you. But I should say that I applied to Kean LAST yr and answered the same q and DID relate it to Speech and I did not get in. Now obviously I can't say thats the sole reason why I got rejected however I did hear thro a person in the the speech dept that the essay needs to be CREATIVE and really pull the audience's attention, which I heard mine did not do - and that is what they look for. Fresh and NOT boring and original. They are looking to see a different side of you. Its not meant to be a traditional personal statement for a reason. So just to throw it out there, for THIS year I did not really relate it to speech, only because it had to do directly with the moment in history I made a smallllll connection, but otherwise I chose a weird topic and  I actually feel good about it!!! I did what I could and am hoping for the best. So I say: Do it on JFK, dinosaurs or any fun topic you like. Show them a side of you that you are proud of. Stand out  :)

Edited by Sunshine5535

I applied to Kean University! I saved this essay for last because I felt that it was the most difficult. This question and "If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?" are, in my opinion, the two most challenging questions to answer. For this question, there are so many places that I would love to visit. I didn't know whether to discuss it from an active or passive perspective.

My answer WAS speech-language related, but I didn't overthink it. I was honest and creative in my response. I also tried to incorporate as much about my personal beliefs and background as possible, without changing the topic of the essay as a whole. My first paragraph entailed how I arrived at my decision, the second paragraph explained where I would choose to travel, and the remainder of the essay discussed why I wanted to go there, what I would do there, and how it would impact me personally.

I applied to Kean and responded to this question too. I totally found this SO FREAKING HARD to write and don't like this question. I like for things to be simple and straight forward and my first instinct was to relate it to Speech just like you. But I should say that I applied to Kean LAST yr and answered the same q and DID relate it to Speech and I did not get in. Now obviously I can't say thats the sole reason why I got rejected however I did hear thro a person in the the speech dept that the essay needs to be CREATIVE and really pull the audience's attention, which I heard mine did not do - and that is what they look for. Fresh and NOT boring and original. They are looking to see a different side of you. Its not meant to be a traditional personal statement for a reason. So just to throw it out there, for THIS year I did not really relate it to speech, only because it had to do directly with the moment in history I made a smallllll connection, but otherwise I chose a weird topic and  I actually feel good about it!!! I did what I could and am hoping for the best. So I say: Do it on JFK, dinosaurs or any fun topic you like. Show them a side of you that you are proud of. Stand out  :)

That is amazing advice! It sucks that you had to learn the hard way but it sounds like you only grew from the original experience. I looove that you chose a weird topic too. Good luck!

You should totally just answer the question honestly and without feeling forced to relate it to speech! A big part of being an SLP is beyond what you learn in your coursework. Perhaps they want to see your thought process and get a better sense of who you are beyond what they can see in your app. That's a great opportunity to prove yourself in a whole new way!

Thanks everyone for the amazing advice, I'm really loving the push and pull here..lol (btw how do you guys quote each other, do you have to copy and paste, then press quote?)

I wish I had more time writing this essay but the deadline is tomorrow and I've had my doubts in general applying to grad school. This year I procrastinated so much because I didn't believe in myself with everyone's amazing stats and the fact that northeastern schools are so hard to get into. I'm expecting rejection letters but my conscience would be better off knowing that I tried.

I made it speech related to feel safe but im regretting it after all youz guys great suggestions (e.g Helen keller and influential movements)..lmaoo

We'll never know how the admissions committee justifies their acceptances but I have a clip of what goes on in the admissions process. I found this in my crazy days of trying to be perfect and create the perfect application. It's not for a speech and language school but you can take a look, the funniest part is 01:20..ENJOY!

http://youtu.be/Y-OLIJUXwKU

If it doesn't load, on YOUTUBE look up the keywords "College Admissions: Inside the Decision Room" by Bloomberg

In the frame, there is a group of people around a table with a green bottle on the table

Edited by LDadvocate