2014 SLP Admissions Thread

arthritiskid, major congrats!  That's very exciting news!

I applied to 10 schools   :unsure: , crazy I know. I just wanted to make sure I got in somewhere! I have an undergrad overall GPA of 3.59, CDS gpa of 3.77 and GRE v: (155) q: (152) and w:(4). I hope i get in somewhere! I need peoples opinions! I just found this website and I can't stop looking at everyones stats, Im getting scared! someone give me some sanity.. i got an invite to interview at Case Western Reserve University yesterday so hopefully that is better than nothing!

Morgrach1, try not to freak out too much.  Honestly, your stats look good to me.  If you've already gotten an interview, that means that your stats are looking good to the schools you applied to as well! 

In my opinion, a lot of people on this website (myself included) tend to be type-A personalities or perfectionists.  I firmly believe this website gives a skewed view of what "average" stats are.  Yes, higher stats can be better, but they don't necessarily tell the whole story.  You might have lower stats, but awesome LORs and a killer essay.  

I know the waiting game is hard, but keep your chin up and think positively.  Best of luck!! :)

Morgrach1, try not to freak out too much.  Honestly, your stats look good to me.  If you've already gotten an interview, that means that your stats are looking good to the schools you applied to as well! 

In my opinion, a lot of people on this website (myself included) tend to be type-A personalities or perfectionists.  I firmly believe this website gives a skewed view of what "average" stats are.  Yes, higher stats can be better, but they don't necessarily tell the whole story.  You might have lower stats, but awesome LORs and a killer essay.  

I know the waiting game is hard, but keep your chin up and think positively.  Best of luck!! :)

Thank you!  I got a LOR from the head of speech and hearing at Ohio state and 3 other really good ones from my speech professors. I was a pharmacy major my first year in undergrad so my GPA is lower due to the impossible chem classes. my transcript shows that my junior and senior year at Ohio State Ive gotten a 3.9 so hopefully they will look into all of that! Thanks for the advice!!

I applied to 10 schools   :unsure: , crazy I know. I just wanted to make sure I got in somewhere! I have an undergrad overall GPA of 3.59, CDS gpa of 3.77 and GRE v: (155) q: (152) and w:(4). I hope i get in somewhere! I need peoples opinions! I just found this website and I can't stop looking at everyones stats, Im getting scared! someone give me some sanity.. i got an invite to interview at Case Western Reserve University yesterday so hopefully that is better than nothing!

I can attest to what sayjo is saying. This is definitely not a random representative sample on this forum, as sayjo says you do tend to get more perfectionistic types here, of which I very much am one. Sorry if I freak anyone out with my freaking out about my stats, that's just my personality, I'm a perfectionist and a rather anxious person and it doesn't reflect what actual admissions are like. I've mentioned it before, but I have a very perfectionistic family (I had a 4.1 high school GPA and a 34 ACT and my dad told me that wasn't good enough to be able to get into any colleges) and it just gets into your head. That said, I don't want to accidentally get into anyone else's heads, so since even though I'm not good about being rationale about my own chances for acceptance, I'm quite rational when it comes to others, here's my assessment of your stats, Morgrach1:

You'll get in. You applied to a lot of schools, at least some of the schools on your list aren't super competitive, you already have an interview, and while your overall GPA isn't high, it's not that bad and the rest of your stats are pretty good. Rationally, I can't imagine you not getting in anywhere this cycle. I'm so confident that I'd be willing to bet money on your chances of acceptance. And coming from a broke girl like me, that's really confident.

For further sanity inducing information, here's the range of stats that some of your schools accepted.

Case Western:

GRE:

Verbal reasoning: 147-167

Quantitative reasoning: 137-158

Analytical writing: 3-5

GPA: 3.38-3.97

Eastern Michigan:

GRE:

Verbal reasoning: 148-166

Quantitative reasoning: 142-159

Analytical writing: 3.5-5.5

GPA: 3.34-3.93

I didn't want to look all of them up, but those are just some examples. You'll note your stats fall well within the ranges of these schools. You really should be fine. :)  *hugs*

Edited by autismadvocate

I can attest to what sayjo is saying. This is definitely not a random representative sample on this forum, as sayjo says you do tend to get more perfectionistic types here, of which I very much am one. Sorry if I freak anyone out with my freaking out about my stats, that's just my personality, I'm a perfectionist and a rather anxious person and it doesn't reflect what actual admissions are like. I've mentioned it before, but I have a very perfectionistic family (I had a 4.1 high school GPA and a 34 ACT and my dad told me that wasn't good enough to be able to get into any colleges) and it just gets into your head. That said, I don't want to accidentally get into anyone else's heads, so since even though I'm not good about being rationale about my own chances for acceptance, I'm quite rational when it comes to others, here's my assessment of your stats, Morgrach1:

You'll get in. You applied to a lot of schools, at least some of the schools on your list aren't super competitive, you already have an interview, and while your overall GPA isn't high, it's not that bad and the rest of your stats are pretty good. Rationally, I can't imagine you not getting in anywhere this cycle. I'm so confident that I'd be willing to bet money on your chances of acceptance. And coming from a broke girl like me, that's really confident.

For further sanity inducing information, here's the range of stats that some of your schools accepted.

Case Western:

GRE:

Verbal reasoning: 147-167

Quantitative reasoning: 137-158

Analytical writing: 3-5

GPA: 3.38-3.97

Eastern Michigan:

GRE:

Verbal reasoning: 148-166

Quantitative reasoning: 142-159

Analytical writing: 3.5-5.5

GPA: 3.34-3.93

I didn't want to look all of them up, but those are just some examples. You'll note your stats fall well within the ranges of these schools. You really should be fine. :)  *hugs*

@autismadvocate thanks for that! Made me feel a little better :). I have really strong LOR (one from head of speech and hearing at Ohio State, and 3 others from my speech professors) Also, I posted this earlier but I was a pharmacy major my freshman year undergrad so thats why my GPA is a little lower than it should be. After freshman year, Ive had between a 3.7-4.0 so hopefully they look at all of that. Ill keep you updated! Thanks for the high hopes! :)

Hey everyone! 

It is so cool to hear that everyone is FINALLY starting to hear back, whether a full on decision or interview invite.

On that same note...I was there were more programs that did interviews..I think I am better in person than on paper! Anyone else have this anxiety??

L

Got an email this morning from the University of Maryland telling me to check my status online for a decision--I was accepted!!

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you remember when you submitted your application? I'm just trying to figure out when I should expect to hear from them!

Babink,

Like MNIJ, I also got the email from University of Maryland to check my application status on Feb. 13 (also accepted) and I submitted my application realllly late. Like, the day before it was due (Jan 14, I think)! So I don't think the timeline of hearing back from UMD necessarily depends on when you submitted your application.

Babink,

Like MNIJ, I also got the email from University of Maryland to check my application status on Feb. 13 (also accepted) and I submitted my application realllly late. Like, the day before it was due (Jan 14, I think)! So I don't think the timeline of hearing back from UMD necessarily depends on when you submitted your application.

You two were also Post Bacc right? Or coming into the program as levelers? 

You two were also Post Bacc right? Or coming into the program as levelers? 

I'm coming straight from undergrad with a degree in Linguistics, so if I were to go to UMD I'd be a "leveler" (which at UMD means I'd be a provisional grad student for the first year while I fulfill pre-reqs).

Besides getting asked to interview at a few schools, I got my first "notice." Waitlisted at Miami university of Ohio. While this was my last choice due to distance, it makes me bummed/pessimistic regarding my other schools. Oh well.

I'm coming straight from undergrad with a degree in Linguistics, so if I were to go to UMD I'd be a "leveler" (which at UMD means I'd be a provisional grad student for the first year while I fulfill pre-reqs).

Ya, I just brought it up because it seems like the "leveler" acceptance pool is different than the pool for individuals coming into the grad program with the speech background. This was to ease babink's nerves a little if they were worried about not hearing from the program. 

Babink,

Ya, I just brought it up because it seems like the "leveler" acceptance pool is different than the pool for individuals coming into the grad program with the speech background. This was to ease babink's nerves a little if they were worried about not hearing from the program. 

I'm also coming straight from undergrad but with my degree with speech path and audiology. I was just wondering about the timeline because I sent my app in a week or so before Christmas and I still haven't heard from them.

Sooo....any one else heard acceptances/wait lists/rejections yet?  I feel like there should be a flood of decisions in the next couple weeks!  I'm getting antsy!!

I HOPE so! I feel like everyone has heard something but me! I know that isn't true, though. Do American programs send out rejections first or last? Canadian programs send them out last and I think it's cruel...haha.

Ya, I just brought it up because it seems like the "leveler" acceptance pool is different than the pool for individuals coming into the grad program with the speech background. 

I wonder if this is also true for international applicants and that's why I haven't heard anything. UGH I need to stop overthinking this, lol.

Sayjo - I know! There's been a definite lull lately!

All I can add to this post is that I got an invite to interview at Elmhurst College.

That's awesome! Congrats! I haven't heard anything from Elmhurst yet, and I didn't even know they did interviews.  Whoops!

I HOPE so! I feel like everyone has heard something but me! I know that isn't true, though. Do American programs send out rejections first or last? Canadian programs send them out last and I think it's cruel...haha.

I'm really not sure!! It seems like a lot of schools send out acceptances/wait lists/rejections at the same time, but I could be completely wrong about that.  I hope you hear something soon! :)

Edited by sayjo

First rejection from the University of Akron today. I didn't really want to go there and know that they accept a lot of their own students, but it still stinks a little receiving that word! At least I have an interview coming up next week! Gives me slight hope!