2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Thanks, sayjo, for suggesting this thread.  The old one was getting a little long.

Here we go.. Acceptances, rejections, waitlists, interviews, glimmers of hope, and consolation.

I haven't heard anything from the schools I applied to, but at least the application part is complete.  I hope to start hearing about interviews this month.  

Where does everybody else stand?

Well, I know I am lucky compared to you all as I deferred my place from last year because of health problems, so will be starting at ECU in the fall. Last year I applied to 3 schools and was rejected by my other 2 (Montana and CU-Boulder) but had already heard from ECU by that point. In fact, I heard very early, before the official application due date which was very surprising. I hope it's not too long before you all start to find out where you stand. I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Thanks for starting this thread, tchris!

My apps are done, but I don't plan on hearing anything until March.

On a semi-positive note, SIUE told me that my application did not qualify due to lack of some required pre-reqs.  However, upon speaking with them, they agreed to consider my application anyway due to my strong academic background!  (I will be finishing pre-reqs before attending, if I get in.)  They're currently my top choice, so I'm hoping this means they were impressed by my app. :)

Edited by sayjo

I found out the other day that I was accepted to Ithaca College! I'm still waiting to hear back from many other schools but it is great to have some of the pressure off. March certainly feels like a long way off! 

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from a school!!

I think I need to stay out of this post until I hear back some news - talk about anxiety-inducing! I actually went through all of my schools and made note of when they said they would start notifying. Based on that, I don't think I will hear anything until mid to late-February at the earliest. Eeeeeeeek!

SLPamy, I made a new column on my "application spreadsheet" specifying when I could expect the schools to respond.  It certainly did not make me any less anxious.

Congrats to everybody that's hearing back!

SLPamy, I made a new column on my "application spreadsheet" specifying when I could expect the schools to respond.  It certainly did not make me any less anxious.

Congrats to everybody that's hearing back!

It makes me feel better to hear that I'm not the only one with an application spreadsheet. Granted, mine's not technically a spreadsheet...but it is a color-coded table. I am officially an SLP app nerd...

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking a little and decided to create an account to ask for some advice. I was accepted into University of the Pacific the other day and was super pumped! Unfortunately, they need my response in the next 2 weeks along with a $500 deposit. The deposit is only refundable if requested before April 1st, and from looking at past results posted in gradcafe, people don’t start hearing back from CA schools until after then. I can’t imagine declining a guaranteed offer, but also hate the idea of losing $500 if I decide to go elsewhere. UOP seems like a great program, but very pricey. I would prefer if I could wait to hear back from all of my schools (CSU Fullerton, CSU Sacramento, San Jose State, and Portland State). Any thoughts?

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking a little and decided to create an account to ask for some advice. I was accepted into University of the Pacific the other day and was super pumped! Unfortunately, they need my response in the next 2 weeks along with a $500 deposit. The deposit is only refundable if requested before April 1st, and from looking at past results posted in gradcafe, people don’t start hearing back from CA schools until after then. I can’t imagine declining a guaranteed offer, but also hate the idea of losing $500 if I decide to go elsewhere. UOP seems like a great program, but very pricey. I would prefer if I could wait to hear back from all of my schools (CSU Fullerton, CSU Sacramento, San Jose State, and Portland State). Any thoughts?

Hmmm it is a very hard decision indeed!  I have had this discussion with myself a million times in regards to UofP and GVSU which both have the accelerated programs and inflated prices to go along with that.  I had always thought that the deposits were $100 so $500 makes the decision even harder I bet.  I always rule on the side of caution so if it were me I'd probably pay the deposit because nothing is guaranteed and you could hear back possibly by april 1st from the other schools to get that deposit back.  Also depends on if you have that extra $500 to spend on that.  It's a fought decision but I'd rule on the side of safety and make the deposit to the guaranteed acceptance.  Hope that helps? :)

I found out today that I've been accepted at UT Dallas! Along with Vanderbilt they were my top choice, so I'll wait until I hear from them before making my decision but I'll probably end up in Dallas :)

OMG How did you find out so early? I applied to UT Dallas but their app isn't technically due until February 15th! Congratulations to you!!!

Hmmm it is a very hard decision indeed!  I have had this discussion with myself a million times in regards to UofP and GVSU which both have the accelerated programs and inflated prices to go along with that.  I had always thought that the deposits were $100 so $500 makes the decision even harder I bet.  I always rule on the side of caution so if it were me I'd probably pay the deposit because nothing is guaranteed and you could hear back possibly by april 1st from the other schools to get that deposit back.  Also depends on if you have that extra $500 to spend on that.  It's a fought decision but I'd rule on the side of safety and make the deposit to the guaranteed acceptance.  Hope that helps? :)

Thanks so much for the thoughtful input :) I had been thinking along the same lines. I think a lot of us speechies tend to err on the side of caution, so declining UOP and hoping I get in somewhere else sounds insane! Good luck to you with your applications!!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful input :) I had been thinking along the same lines. I think a lot of us speechies tend to err on the side of caution, so declining UOP and hoping I get in somewhere else sounds insane! Good luck to you with your applications!!

I would definitely (if you can afford to do so) put down the deposit as a safety net because most CA schools don't let us know until April (SJSU for example didn't tell us until April 15/16 last year). I had to do the same last year in applying to Postbacc programs and couldn't get mine back but it was worth it for the peace of mind. Congrats on your first acceptance though! I'm soooo anxious over here!

I would look at it as a cost of going to school, just like application fees, GRE test fee, etc. Accept that in order to get where you need to go in your journey, you need to fork over the cash. It's painful, but if you look at it as an unavoidable education cost, it might help take the sting out of wondering whether it was "worth" it once you find out your status with other schools.

Congratulations!! UOP is on the top of my list. To chime in like the others, I say you should put down the deposit. May I ask what are your stats, experience, etc?

OMG How did you find out so early? I applied to UT Dallas but their app isn't technically due until February 15th! Congratulations to you!!!

I honestly am not sure! I submitted everything by January 15th, but my final recommender didn't submit until January 31. I was surprised, too! Good luck :) Never know, we may end up there together!!!