2014 SLP Admissions Thread

got an interview invitation at University of Akron today! Very excited.  @arthritiskid I'm sorry for your rejection, just remember everything happens for a reason. You will find a perfect fit for you!  :)

CONGRATS! If you need advice on travel accommodations, I live 20 minutes from Akron and may be able to help a little! Thanks! And yeah, like I said, I did not really want to go to Akron anyway, I just applied because they had a program and it was close. So hopefully my dream of getting out of the state of Ohio will come true since I only applied to two schools here and already got rejected from one!

@arthritiskid thank you! If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable though :) . I go to OSU so it shouldn't be too bad of a drive but thanks so much! good luck on your interview at midwestern!!

@arthritiskid thank you! If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable though :) . I go to OSU so it shouldn't be too bad of a drive but thanks so much! good luck on your interview at midwestern!!

I thought about applying for OSU but didn't end up applying, do you love it there? I am a hardcore Bucks fan! My GRE was low, 141 Q, 146 V and 5.0 AW. My GPA in my undergrad was 3.03 but is a 3.75 in my COMD post bacc classes. I thought about taking the GRE again but I didn't want to put another $200 in it... 

I thought about applying for OSU but didn't end up applying, do you love it there? I am a hardcore Bucks fan! My GRE was low, 141 Q, 146 V and 5.0 AW. My GPA in my undergrad was 3.03 but is a 3.75 in my COMD post bacc classes. I thought about taking the GRE again but I didn't want to put another $200 in it... 

I had to take the GRE twice myself, just because it's a really hard test to get a feel for if you're not used to CAT testing. Lost some money, but I think the higher score is worth it.

Isn't it crazy that the month that we've all been waiting dreadfully for, March, will be here next weekend? Eek!

Yes, it completely is. Yikes! I mean, yay! I dunno what to feel, I just hate the waiting because it feels even more intense the closer we get to it.

Isn't it crazy that the month that we've all been waiting dreadfully for, March, will be here next weekend? Eek!

I think the first two weeks of March will drag even more than these last two weeks of February... Historically 4 out of the 6 schools have notified that second week of March, but I think the "it could be today!" feeling will persist, especially as more schools send out acceptances.  :ph34r:

I had a little bit of a freak out moment today when I saw someone posted an acceptance to Vanderbilt on the results page.  Then I noticed they were a Ph.D. applicant.  Guess I'll just have to keep waiting!

I think the first two weeks of March will drag even more than these last two weeks of February... 

That's the truth!  I can't wait to hear where everyone gets into school!  I hope we all get into our top choices!

I was just notified that I was accepted into Marquette and also into their bilingual program! I am so shocked and excited!!

That is SO awesome!  I know you were hoping to get into a bilingual program!  CONGRATS!

I was just notified that I was accepted into Marquette and also into their bilingual program! I am so shocked and excited!!

I received an email from Dr. Long saying that those who were accepted will be receiving letters in the mail and those who were not / were waitlisted would be receiving emails.

No email for me yet - but I just checked the results search and saw a few people listing acceptances via email.  Now I don't know what to think - but I'll keep crossing my fingers!

Thank you so much arthritiskid and sayjo!!

I received an email from Dr. Long saying that those who were accepted will be receiving letters in the mail and those who were not / were waitlisted would be receiving emails.

No email for me yet - but I just checked the results search and saw a few people listing acceptances via email.  Now I don't know what to think - but I'll keep crossing my fingers!

I think that it's a good thing that you haven't received an e-mail yet! In the e-mail (and in the previous one he sent a few weeks ago), he stated that acceptances would be sent out via mail and waitlistings/rejections would be sent via e-mail. The exception to this is for those of us who applied to the bilingual program - Dr. Long said that he would e-mail those of us who applied to the bilingual program to let us know if we got in or not. The e-mail that I received was to let me know that I was accepted into the bilingual program (which can only happen after being accepted to the regular program). Like you, I have not received my formal acceptance from the graduate school yet.

I know a few people that were e-mailed yesterday and told that they were waitlisted, so I am pretty sure that if you didn't receive anything yet, you can expect to get an acceptance in the mail. Others in the results search may be from different programs, which may notify students differently than the speech program.

So I recieved an email from Radford offering me to apply for the Scottish Rite Fellowship...I'm wondering if this was just a general email sent out to all of the applicants or should I take it as a good sign? Has anyone else gotten something like this?

I applied to Radford as well, but haven't received any e-mail from them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

applied: Radford University, East Stroudsburg University, SUNY Buffalo, Northeastern, Umass Amherst, Clarion University, Appalachian State University, Western Carolina University

Hi everyone!  I've been following this site for months ever since a law student at my school told me about it.  I was just looking through this forum and I can't help but to finally post.  I've been seeing a lot of acceptances to University of Illinois and it's making me very nervous because this is my top choice and I haven't heard anything.  Anyone know what this could mean?  I'm thinking either they've sent out only acceptances and not rejections and I've likely been rejected, or they sent out a select few acceptances and there's still hope.  Other than that, I just got invited to interview at Elmhurst - totally took me by surprise because their application information didn't mention anything about an interview, and I was notified only a week in advance (I had to scramble to get work off that weekend and make travel arrangements!).  Anyone know what to expect?  I interviewed at Midwestern last week and it sounds like Elmhurst's interviews will be similar.

JDGrosman, I can completely relate! :( I'm also waiting on the University of Illinois and hope we hear back soon! They sent out acceptances until early March last year so I hope that's the case for this year :)

SLPamy, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) So excited for you!

And JDGrosman, there is no way to know for sure but the next best think is going to the "Result Search" at the top of every page here and seeing when people heard back last year. Although it seems like DeafAudi already summarized that for you. :)

SLPamy and JDGrosman, when did you get your interview invites for Elmhurst?  I haven't gotten anything from them yet; however, I haven't finished all my pre-req classes so I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected me.

Hi everyone! I've been following this site for months ever since a law student at my school told me about it. I was just looking through this forum and I can't help but to finally post. I've been seeing a lot of acceptances to University of Illinois and it's making me very nervous because this is my top choice and I haven't heard anything. Anyone know what this could mean? I'm thinking either they've sent out only acceptances and not rejections and I've likely been rejected, or they sent out a select few acceptances and there's still hope. Other than that, I just got invited to interview at Elmhurst - totally took me by surprise because their application information didn't mention anything about an interview, and I was notified only a week in advance (I had to scramble to get work off that weekend and make travel arrangements!). Anyone know what to expect? I interviewed at Midwestern last week and it sounds like Elmhurst's interviews will be similar.

How was your Midwestern interview? I have mine Wednesday!

Hi everyone!  I've been following this site for months ever since a law student at my school told me about it.  I was just looking through this forum and I can't help but to finally post.  I've been seeing a lot of acceptances to University of Illinois and it's making me very nervous because this is my top choice and I haven't heard anything.  Anyone know what this could mean?  I'm thinking either they've sent out only acceptances and not rejections and I've likely been rejected, or they sent out a select few acceptances and there's still hope.  Other than that, I just got invited to interview at Elmhurst - totally took me by surprise because their application information didn't mention anything about an interview, and I was notified only a week in advance (I had to scramble to get work off that weekend and make travel arrangements!).  Anyone know what to expect?  I interviewed at Midwestern last week and it sounds like Elmhurst's interviews will be similar.

I have no idea about U of I :( I will say that I still have not received my *official* acceptance into U of I, just the initial unofficial e-mail. Crossing my fingers that you hear something soon.

As for Elmhurst, It definitely sounds like they modeled their interviews after Midwestern. I would go into it expecting the same type of process! I didn't know they did interviews either; it may have been something they just decided while they were going through applications.

SLPamy and JDGrosman, when did you get your interview invites for Elmhurst?  I haven't gotten anything from them yet; however, I haven't finished all my pre-req classes so I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected me.

I got an e-mail from them about a week ago and then a letter in the mail a few days ago. The interview is on the 28th so it was pretty short notice. I know that they are very strict on only considering students who meet their requirements, so if you don't get an invite then I'm sure that would be the main reason (especially since your stats look so awesome!). Would you have finished your pre-reqs by the end of this semester? It sucks that they wouldn't consider you even if your pre-reqs would be done by the time you would have started grad school.

I have no idea about U of I :( I will say that I still have not received my *official* acceptance into U of I, just the initial unofficial e-mail. Crossing my fingers that you hear something soon.

As for Elmhurst, It definitely sounds like they modeled their interviews after Midwestern. I would go into it expecting the same type of process! I didn't know they did interviews either; it may have been something they just decided while they were going through applications.

I got an e-mail from them about a week ago and then a letter in the mail a few days ago. The interview is on the 28th so it was pretty short notice. I know that they are very strict on only considering students who meet their requirements, so if you don't get an invite then I'm sure that would be the main reason (especially since your stats look so awesome!). Would you have finished your pre-reqs by the end of this semester? It sucks that they wouldn't consider you even if your pre-reqs would be done by the time you would have started grad school.

Thanks for the info!  I'm taking pre-req courses this semester and the summer semester, but all will be done by the time Elmhurst starts (since it does not begin until fall).  However, when applying, I did anticipate that some schools might discount me because of my pre-req status, which is why I applied to so many schools.  I'm assuming this is probably the case with Elmhurst.  Oh well! 

Thanks for the responses, DeafAudi, AutismAdvocate, sayjo, arthritiskid, and SLPamy!

sayjo, I got an e-mail from Elmhurst last Thursday with an electronic version of the letter that was sent in the mail, which I expect to receive tomorrow.  

arthritiskid, I was more nervous and prepared than I needed to be for the Midwestern interview.  It's really not bad.  Yes, there is pressure to stand out, but remember they're also trying to impress you.  Come with questions, an open mind, and confidence.

SLPamy, I also think it was a last minute decision by Elmhurst to do interviews.  Guess I'll be seeing you on Friday!

I haven't heard yet but I've also been going through all the schools I've applied to checking when they sent out notifications last year....the anticipation is killing me. About a week ago a girl who applied to their audiology program said that she wasn't notified of anything but randomly checked their website and got a response. So obviously after she told me that I immediately checked, but nothing yet. Hopefully they e-mail us soon!