Submit CV instead of resume?

ruru107

The flexibility of the CV has allowed me to include things that are usually omitted from a resume, but that give a better representation of my qualifications (school projects, etc.). The length of the CV also allows me to more clearly describe what I have done in the past.

My resume is full of unrelated jobs (clerical, food, retail)--which I will remove for these applications since they are unrelated to my career goals--but when I take them out, my resume looks sadly empty. :(

The job I'm applying for asks for a resume, but I feel that a resume alone is too short and exclusive to accurately represent my experience. Would it be bad form to submit a CV instead of a resume? Do you think that would get my application thrown out?

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it was definitely a good idea. Whenever they ask for something you want to be as attentive as possible and provide exactly what they want. Be it in academia or elsewhere. 

I would personally do a resume.  I have done some application screening before for my job and would roll my eyes when I see someone with a resume/CV longer than 2 pages.  Most employers spend a minute or two max on each application anyway so it is best to just highlight the relevant information and keep everything condensed (also include keywords in case they use software for the initial screening).  You can use your cover letter to mention anything that is not in the resume that you think is noteworthy. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old topic, I know, but I recently applied for a government position that requested a resume. I decided to make a new resume specifically for this position.

I managed to make all of the relevant things fit under the Experience heading of the resume by sorting them by position and focusing on the skills gained/demonstrated. For example, instead of having a list of pubs, I had a bullet point under my grad school position that said something like, "Communicated results to broader scientific and public audiences by publishing in peer-reviewed and trade journals." I did the same sort of condensing and converting for presentations, grants, awards and any other things that are usually just listed under their own headings on a CV. By doing this I was also able to cut my 4 page CV down to a 2 page resume.

As mentioned above, I also worked key words and phrases from the job ad into the resume (and cover letter), so that if HR sorts applications using some sort of software first, then I wouldn't get automatically booted for not having a "relevant" application.

• 2 years later...

Three major differences between CVs and resumes are the length, the purpose and the layout. A resume is a brief summary of your skills and experience over one or two pages, a CV is more detailed and can stretch well beyond two pages. The resume will be tailored to each position whereas the CV will stay put and any changes will be in the cover letter. A CV has a clear chronological order listing the whole career of the individual whereas a resume’s information can be shuffled around to best suit the applicant. 

• 2 months later...

In the United States, a CV is specifically your academic resume and qualifications. It lists your education, teaching and research experience, publications, funding, etc. A resume is a job document, highlighting the training and employment that usually is specifically related to the job you are applying for. In Europe and elsewhere a CV and resume may refer to one document (resume). A CV generally changes from month to month and can be dozens of pages long for a senior scholar. A resume is generally less specialized and thus less detailed and shorter.