What to do when you have 1 interview?

hopefulstudent01

I was wondering what is appropriate to do in this situation..

I have one interview at a school next week and this is my only interview. Obviously I still need to go to the school, feel it out, etc, before I make a decision (if made an offer). If the faculty ask where else I got invited and I say no one and/or if they ask how likely I would be to take a offer there, what do I say? If they know I have only one offer, it is pretty hard to say "I'm still weighing my options". I don't want to say I am 100% going to take it, because I won't know until I am able to really evaluate the program after the interview. Any advice would be great.

Also, what do you say when they ask you where you applied to? I applied to 14 programs.. Would listing them all make me sound worse?

I was wondering what is appropriate to do in this situation..

I have one interview at a school next week and this is my only interview. Obviously I still need to go to the school, feel it out, etc, before I make a decision (if made an offer). If the faculty ask where else I got invited and I say no one and/or if they ask how likely I would be to take a offer there, what do I say? If they know I have only one offer, it is pretty hard to say "I'm still weighing my options". I don't want to say I am 100% going to take it, because I won't know until I am able to really evaluate the program after the interview. Any advice would be great.

Also, what do you say when they ask you where you applied to? I applied to 14 programs.. Would listing them all make me sound worse?

I'm in the same boat - I too have my one and only interview next week. I always felt it was unlikely that faculty would actually ask about what other schools you've heard from and things like that, but maybe I'm wrong. If asked, I'd plan to be honest and say that I haven't heard back from most other schools yet. However, the question of how likely you'd be to take an offer at that school might be a good opportunity for you to discuss your fit with the program, rather than commit yourself to the program on the spot.

I imagine they will probably ask- At my last interview I was asked about other programs by 3 different faculty members. I don't think it will have too much of an influence on their decision, but if you aren't honest it could look bad.

Be honest first off.  Tell them you are still waiting to hear back from other programs and then quickly move the subject/conversation into why you are interested in THEIR program.  That should end it up nicely.  Best of luck, one is all you need!

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools that haven't even started interviews yet because of funding issues (confirmed with PIs). I've only been asked about interviews once by a professor I know fairly well, and I've had a couple others, but I still gave her a pretty general answer about how I'm weighing my options and how much I love (insert town here). Just be general and positive and it won't be an issue.

Some faculty are definitely concerned that if they make an offer you will not accept, so it may help you that you don't have any other interviews. If you got to an interview stage, then you are a strong applicant and something as small as having only one actual interview (and say being waitlisted other places) should not change the adcom's mind. 

PS. I was asked where I applied and where I am being interviewed. The interviewer said every person gets asked this question. 

For the record, I was prepared to answer that question at my interviews, and not one (out of five) asked.

Also, I met a girl at one interview who was in the same boat as you - applied to about 12 programs and only got the one interview. She was accepted there and will be attending! So all hope is not lost. :)