Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Have you had any contact from South Carolina or tried to solicit any information?

I sent an email yesterday morning to the DOGS. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything back. Would you consider it over your other choices? 

Edited by kant_get_in

Well, I'd certainly wait to hear from Purdue before making a final decision, but I might take it over my MA offers if given a sufficiently generous financial aid package or something like that.

I have just got a rejection from BU (solicited). I've sent an email to Hopp and received an email with pdf attachment. You need your BU ID to access it.

Thanks for the info. Did Hopp email you back or was it automated? I haven't received anything yet. 

I've emailed the department secretary twice, and in both instances she replied that she had forwarded the message to Dr Hopp. But it's been a week or so and I have yet to hear anything. I did email Dr Hopp today. I suppose silence is better right now since they are sending out rejections.  

I've emailed the department secretary twice, and in both instances she replied that she had forwarded the message to Dr Hopp. But it's been a week or so and I have yet to hear anything. I did email Dr Hopp today. I suppose silence is better right now since they are sending out rejections.  

They have already sent their acceptances and waitlists. Don't get your hopes up. Good luck!

Does anybody know if the University of Michigan rejections are out yet? They said they would let me know by March 15th, but so far I haven't heard anything.

I know for the MSW program they have already gone through the first round of rejections, acceptions, and wait listing. I think the final choice will besome time during the Summer.

I don't really know where to put this, but CUNY just sent me an email inviting me to their M.A. program in Liberal Studies. Somewhat personalized email, surprisingly.

Very strange, and I have no interest in it (in at great PhDs), but I'm wondering if they are just sending this out to all of their rejected applicants.

I don't really know where to put this, but CUNY just sent me an email inviting me to their M.A. program in Liberal Studies. Somewhat personalized email, surprisingly.

Very strange, and I have no interest in it (in at great PhDs), but I'm wondering if they are just sending this out to all of their rejected applicants.

Definitely not sent to all rejected applicants. That's an interesting approach on their part, do you focus on interdisciplinary work? Congrats on the PhD acceptances!

One thing I'll never understand about this process is how rejections trickle in. UCR sent out acceptances and wait-lists weeks ago now, clearly those of us who did not hear are rejected. How hard is it to click a computer screen and send out the rejection emails as a single group? What is with this, okay, let's reject A-G today, H-S tomorrow, and the rest the day after? 

The comment thread on this post might give some insight. Sounds like it's at least partially wait-lists and partially bureaucracy (departments have to notify some other entity and that entity is responsible for sending out rejections, presumably processing has to happen to make sure everything is 'official' before it's sent out). There might be other reasons as well. 

One thing I'll never understand about this process is how rejections trickle in. UCR sent out acceptances and wait-lists weeks ago now, clearly those of us who did not hear are rejected. How hard is it to click a computer screen and send out the rejection emails as a single group? What is with this, okay, let's reject A-G today, H-S tomorrow, and the rest the day after? 

Yes, this is really odd. I've heard of some programs keeping internal wait-lists but otherwise I do think it's a little silly that programs wait so long to release rejections. 

The problem with not sending rejections out all at once is that typically, not getting rejected is good news. Two of my waitlists/acceptances came a couple days after all rejections had been sent out, so my optimism was rewarded. In the case of Riverside, it's just annoying.

But again...isn't there some rule that they are breaking by waiting until freaking April to even let us know if we are accepted/wled/rejected?