Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Is it just me, or would others of you also rather a school send out rejections first? If they do, then you know pretty quick whether to be hopeful. If you're rejected, then you can move on and stop expecting; if you're not rejected, you can have legitimate hope to be either wait listed or accepted. But if a school sends out acceptances and wait lists first, then you, although you are pretty sure you are rejected, you always have the lingering hope to be wait listed; you are pretty sure you're rejected, but not certain, which means you can't stop thinking about it! 

I can also confirm a rejection from Northwestern -- though they did not email us to check the website... you had to stumble on it on your own accord.

I also applied to Iowa.  I am wondering whether Iowa is your top choice of the schools to which you've been accepted? 

Got rejected by Rice a couple of days ago, and today I find out I have to get a root canal. Fuck this week. Fuck it right in the ear.

Got rejected by Rice a couple of days ago, and today I find out I have to get a root canal. Fuck this week. Fuck it right in the ear.

I guess you had a rougher time than me... here's a smiley to make you feel better. :rolleyes:

I thought about starting a new thread, but it seemed most appropriate here... What were the best and worst rejection letters you received so far? I'm not sure about anyone else, but Toronto's rejection letter was hands down the best rejection I've gotten in two application seasons. It was honest and kind without being deceptive, and you could really tell that Jennifer Nagel put a lot of thought into it. Brown's was the worse, only because it's exactly the same letter as the one they rejected me with last year, word for word minus the year--it was also pretty terse and cold to begin with too.

Anyone wants to claim Western Ontario Phd rejection? Did you get an email to check the website?

When I go to the website, it just says "Released to Program".

Edited by werunom

Anyone wants to claim Western Ontario Phd rejection? Did you get an email to check the website?

When I go to the website, it just says "Released to Program".

Same. Just thought I'd let you know that you're in company. 

I emailed someone at Miami and I was rejected. Looking more and more likely that I will end up at an MA program.

Sorry to hear this, and thanks for the info. But why did they not send out rejections to avoid incoming inquiries? 

I thought about starting a new thread, but it seemed most appropriate here... What were the best and worst rejection letters you received so far? I'm not sure about anyone else, but Toronto's rejection letter was hands down the best rejection I've gotten in two application seasons. It was honest and kind without being deceptive, and you could really tell that Jennifer Nagel put a lot of thought into it. Brown's was the worse, only because it's exactly the same letter as the one they rejected me with last year, word for word minus the year--it was also pretty terse and cold to begin with too.

I felt absolutely no different about any rejection letter. I only read the first sentence or so to confirm it was a rejection, then moved on.

I don't understand the obsession with getting a "nice" rejection letter. Even the letters people say are "nice" are the same ones sent every year. None of them actually were to me personally, none of them told me I was special and different from all the other people. It's just a letter that rejected me, I cross that school off my list and that's that.

I certainly understand the power of personalized waitlists/acceptances, but I don't think I will ever understand why people care so much about what is in the rejection letter.