Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

I plan to brush up on my prepositional logic and meta-logic. Besides reading Benson Mates' Elementary Logic and working through proofs in my old logic textbooks, can anyone foster some suggestions? 

I used Virginia Klenk's Understanding Symbolic Logic book in my symbolic logic course. It's good for the practice problems and the older editions teach you Polish notation (for whatever that's worth). You can get it illegally if you want/know how so it wouldn't cost you anything.

I'm currently reading Howard DeLong's A Profile of Mathematical Logic. It's not a textbook, but I'm using it to get a birds-eye view of the subject. It gives good historical context too.

Edit: As far as a textbook, Enderton's A Mathematical Introduction to Logic isn't bad.

Edited by wildc4t

I plan to brush up on my prepositional logic and meta-logic. Besides reading Benson Mates' Elementary Logic and working through proofs in my old logic textbooks, can anyone foster some suggestions? 

Peter Smith has an excellent intro to logic list available here: http://www.logicmatters.net/tyl/ . It all depends on what exactly it is you want to do. If you just need to catch up on classical first order logic, there are a lot of decent options. If you want to do more, then it will vary widely.

If you tell me what you want to know I can help a bit more, but as it stands it's a bit too undefined.

Ted Sider's "Logic for Philosophy" is great.

Columbia rejection --

Columbia: "yo dawg, check your portal ;)"
Me: "k."
Columbia: "Did you check yet?"
Me: "Checking now."

Columbia's handwriting: "GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

Edited by zblaesi

I haven't gotten any such email from Columbia and nothing's changed on the website ...

agh I wish they would just reject me already - I don't want such a sliver of irrational hope.

Edited by Weltgeist

Hey, all! Newly-registered longtime lurker here.

I'm assuming that, if you haven't heard from UCSD, you're out.

I've seen this sentiment repeated several times in this thread, and I'm wondering what the rationale is for it. I'm not holding out much hope for Penn or Hopkins, as they have released both accepts and waitlists. But the fact that UCSD did release a bunch of rejections almost a month ago makes me feel like not having heard anything is, at this point, a good thing. I know you (ianfaircloud) have put a lot of time into studying the historical behavior of these schools/committees. Does UCSD not generally run even an unoffical waitlist? Do they only make one round of offers?

I'm now realizing that I posted this in the wrong thread. O_o. Anyway, thanks for the advice! 

A lot of rejections have been posted today and yesterday. Sorry folks.