SLP GRAD SCHOOL HOPES~DREAMS~GUESSES THREAD

My Dream would probably be SIUE just because we already bought a house in Edwardsville and that's where we grew up/families live or any of the schools with any type of funding

My Guess is honestly I have absolutely no idea if I'll get into any. Most likely rejected from SLU, but it's pretty much 50/50!

Awesome topic!

Well, I kinda have a hard time deciding between these, because everywhere that I applied, I would be willing to go and want to go! So… if I had to choose… 

My HOPE is to get into at least two or three schools so that I can choose from a couple and compare finances, living situation, programs, etc.

My DREAM would be to get into one of these three schools: Midwestern University, University of Washington-Seattle (MedSLP), or Appalachian State University.

My GUESS is that I may possibly get into one school that doesn't involve moving, and I feel like chances are slim for even that.. I don't know, I'm struck with all of this what if anxiety that I'm sure you are all experiencing!

I'm struggling with my anxiety big time right now!

Very great idea for a thread, Twinguy! 

My DREAM would be to get into NYU or UofW Seattle - I LOVE the prospect of a summer in Sweden with NYU, and I also love the sounds of the MedSLP program in Seattle.

My HOPE is that I get accepted anywhere at all so I don't have to take another year off.... :blink:

and my GUESS is that I will get into one school or two that is outrageously expensive for International Students and have a tough tough decision on my hands.

Feels good to get those out there! 

My DREAM: get into a program so i dont have to wait till spring to reapply- or worse, Fall. Become a med slp or a travel slp treating swallowing disorders and clients who are transgendered. be groundbreaking and live in a city with a loft.

My Hope: get into two schools with either really good research labs or abroad programs..so i can leave my current city.

My Guess: i probably Wont get in, will have to retake the GRE and stay in my city in my current position...bleh

My dream is to get into at least one school!

My hope is to go to the University of New Hampshire. I would love to be closer to my family, and the program is perfect for my professional goals.  :)

My guess is that I may get one or two acceptances, and the rest either wait lists or rejections. 

Edited by Sammehh

Great thread! Getting me to think about my priorities. :)

My Hope is to get in somewhere...anywhere...I just want to go to grad school now and not have to worry about what I'll do in the mean time...

My Dream...let's do it like this:

My UNREALISTIC dream is to get into Vandy. It's been my dream since I was a little girl, but let's be real, I applied there knowing that I'm 80% sure I'll be rejected. I just knew I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life wondering "What if?" if I didn't apply.

My REALISTIC dream is to get into LSU or Tennessee Knoxville. I love both of those programs and would be very happy in either Baton Rouge or Knoxville. :)

My Guess is that I know I probably will get into a program. I really think I'd be happy in any of the programs I applied to, I'd just be happier in some programs over others. The professors at my university have psyched us out thinking that you'll never be good enough to get into grad school, and that's just constantly on my mind now (let's be real, this site doesn't help much either :rolleyes:). Fingers crossed that these next few weeks come with tears of joy rather than sorrow!

My DREAM is to go to Teacher's College, because I've always wanted to live in NY! But tuition would be crazy expensive, and I probably won't get into the program there anyway...

My HOPE is to get into ONE program in Canada so I can actually afford tuition!

My GUESS would be waitlisted by Canadian programs and rejected by American ones (since US programs look at cGPA whereas Canada only looks at the last 2 years)

My DREAM: get into a program so i dont have to wait till spring to reapply- or worse, Fall. Become a med slp or a travel slp treating swallowing disorders and clients who are transgendered. be groundbreaking and live in a city with a loft.

My Hope: get into two schools with either really good research labs or abroad programs..so i can leave my current city.

My Guess: i probably Wont get in, will have to retake the GRE and stay in my city in my current position...bleh

Wow, that's a pretty cool dream in terms of what you want to do as an SLP! Also, what was your GRE again? Because from your GPA it sounds like you should get in.

Dream/Hope- Get into the one school I applied: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 3 year program (hopefully with bilingual/multicultural emphasis). Work with children in schools or private practice, specializing in English learners and literacy issues. 

Guess- I'm driving myself insane with this. I feel I'm a strong candidate, but my daydreams have become darker as I get closer to hearing and I've convinced myself that I won't get in. I'm not sure exactly the Plan B I'll choose yet. I might do an online Post Bacc or just wait and reapply to more 3 year programs next year. I really love Minnesota's program though so here's hoping!

My DREAM is to go to Teacher's College, because I've always wanted to live in NY! But tuition would be crazy expensive, and I probably won't get into the program there anyway...

My GUESS would be waitlisted by Canadian programs and rejected by American ones (since US programs look at cGPA whereas Canada only looks at the last 2 years)

The are some schools in America that looks at your last 2 years.  They call it last 60 hours.  West Texas A & M university only looks at the last 30 hours which is your last year. Also, Some American schools only look at CSD GPA.  

The are some schools in America that looks at your last 2 years.  They call it last 60 hours.  West Texas A & M university only looks at the last 30 hours which is your last year. Also, Some American schools only look at CSD GPA.  

Oh really? The two I applied to look at cGPA. I looked at so many schools and didn't come across any that look at your last 60 credits! But then again I was only looking at bigger cities closer to Canada. Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely keep that in mind for next year (if I don't get in this round)!

Are you sure? All the American programs I looked at said they only consider the last 60 semester hours/ 2 years of study.

Are you sure? All the American programs I looked at said they only consider the last 60 semester hours/ 2 years of study.

I should have specified - all the ones that I looked at (mostly in Washington and New York) look at overall GPA. I did email the schools and they said that while they look at cGPA, they also look for upward trends which is def good for me! But wow obviously I was looking in all the wrong places for grad school hahahha

My Hope: I get accepted to somewhere, anywhere! I've only applied to three graduate programs. I would LOVE to go to ANY one of the programs to which I've applied. I know the three programs I applied to will make me an amazing SLP! My hope is really....that I will just get at least one acceptance. This is my second year applying and I am so ready to start grad school. Not only do I not want to have to apply for a third time, but more than that I want to get started on my dream career!

My Dream: To become an SLP. Seriously. I care MUCH MORE about actually becoming an SLP and making a difference in this wonderful field than being super selective regarding the different programs.

My Guess: I think if I were accepted to all three programs I would have a VERY hard time deciding between all three programs. Each school has something unique to offer and to be honest I haven't given them a 1-3 ranking in my mind. ISU is closest to me so that could play a factor. Also, I did my post-bacc program at ISU so I know I respect the professors and class structure. WKU is farthest away from where I live, but WKU has some amazing faculty. UNC's program is perhaps the most ideal in the way it is set up and I have family in CO. I don't know. However, my guess would be that, based on my application stats, acceptance stats from previous years at each program, and the individual school rankings I would have a better chance at getting into ISU and WKU than UNC. However, ISU only has about 8 seats to offer out of state students, UNC offers about 20 seats, and while WKU offers 30-40 seats to their program they receive the most applicants out of all the schools.

The way I see it, SLP is an INCREDIBLY competitive field and I would be honored to be accepted into any program. If I am not accepted then I will keep applying, year after year, until I do get in. I know I was meant to work in this field and I wont stop trying! Thinking about back-up plans is awful. I don't want to pursue a different field when I KNOW I was meant to become an SLP. =)

Dream: To get accepted into either Western Carolina University, Radford University, or Northeastern University.

Hope: To get into at least one of the eight schools I am applying to.

Guess:  I will be accepted into at least one (hopefully!)

Applied: Radford University, SUNY Buffalo, Northeastern University, Clarion University, UMASS Amherst, Appalachian State Univeristy, Western Carolina University, East Stroudsburg University

ACCEPTED:

WAITLISTED:

REJECTED: 

However, ISU only has about 8 seats to offer out of state students, UNC offers about 20 seats, and while WKU offers 30-40 seats to their program they receive the most applicants out of all the schools.

Hello Ballerina18,

I think you will definitely make your dream come true! :)  

I had a question about the part where you said ISU only offers 8 seats to out of state students.  Where did you hear this from?  thanks!

Hi Twinguy,

I should have clarified in my comment that this was something I read last year when I was applying to ISU. When I was looking for admissions data I read that ISU saves roughly half of their available seats for in-state residents. The rest of the seats are made available to out of state students. Before their 2013 class size information came out I read they were planning to offer 16 seats for their distance program, but according to the link below they had a class size of 20 for 2013.

http://www.isu.edu/csed/speech/accreditation.shtml

I will try to find the site where I read that ISU saves seats for in-state residents.

Hello Ballerina18,

I think you will definitely make your dream come true! :)

I had a question about the part where you said ISU only offers 8 seats to out of state students.  Where did you hear this from?  thanks!

Dream - To get into East Stroudsburg University, hopefully with funding.

Hope - To get into more than one school. I would love to have to make a choice!

Guess - I think I'm a pretty strong candidate so I'm guessing I will get in somewhere.... But as we get closer to March I'm starting to doubt myself, even though my schools haven't sent out any decisions yet according to the results search. So I honestly don't know :/

Dream - I want to get into the University of Washington's MedSLP program (and find a way to pay for it!).

Hope - I hope to get into the UW MedSLP program (even if I have to take out billions in loans), or another school with complete funding.

Guess - I'll probably get into at least one of my in-state schools (likely without funding), and one of my out of state schools (with some funding).

March can't come fast enough!

Yes, I'm not sure if they save seats for residents in their meridian or pocatello programs. Which program did you apply to?

I applied to the distance program last year, but this year i'm applying with meridian as first option, pocatello 2nd and distance third.

I applied to the distance program last year, but this year i'm applying with meridian as first option, pocatello 2nd and distance third.

I applied to the distance program last year as well. I was waitlisted and ultimately not accepted, obviously..lol

I am actually considering the possibility of contacting ISU to see if they might be able to put down Meridian as my #2 option. I live almost 6 hours away from Meridian, so attending that branch would mean I would have to leave my home and family (SO & 6 yr old daughter) behind while I attend school, but it might be possible. We are thinking about perhaps driving up to Meridian to check things out. The more I think about it the more I think it might work. I would try to just see my family as often as possible on weekends and breaks. The sacrifice might be worth having a stable career after two years (opposed to re-applying to grad schools if I don't get in anywhere). **shrug** I will have to do some more thinking on that.

Good luck! =)