Any sub-3.0 in yet?

123hardasABC

I think that schools of public health really value relevant experience and commitment to the field. Sure grades and test scores play a role but maybe not as much as you think. In fact, I had the head of a department in a top 5 school tell me that as long as your GREs aren't too far below the 50% mark, you will be fine if you have decent experience. I got the same message for GPA. I ultimately had around a 3.5, but I got several Cs and Ds in almost everything quantitative or business related (not good for a HPMer to have a 2.7 quant GPA according to SOPHAS;-). Yet I too have gotten into several top masters programs and a phd program. I don't say this to brag; I just want to give hope to future applicants. If you want to work in public health and have low stats, go for it! If you have experience, can write a a killer personal statement and can get great recs, you are way more competitive than you think! Do not let anyone, including yourself, tell you you can't get in to a great program.

Also, I personally think that a lot of people with lower stats are reluctant to post, so this forum can give you a skewed view.

These are just my thoughts; I look forward to what others think!

I will be completely honest...i have a 2.6 undergrad GPA and i got in to one of my top choices. Also, my GRE scores are on the low side. However, I have work experience, and numerous internships under my belt, and I got some really strong letters of rec. I was sooooo worried that I wouldn't get in, and honestly I'm still in a little shock that I did. I am not expecting to get into every school I applied to, though. 

Also, I think it's important to be very realistic about where you are applying to. For example, I would never waste my time applying to JHU or anything of that caliber. 

I had something like a 2.8 and 49% quant/98% verbal GREs. I think the GPA didn't hurt me as much because I've been out of school a long time and have good, interesting work experience. I got the impression that that majority of programs take a holistic view of their applicants. 

I am in the same boat. My undgrad GPA was a 2.98 but after SOPHAS.org calculated my GPA it became a 3.01. LoL. But My GRE scores a little below average, due to just wanting to try it out.  That test was a nightmare and don't ever want to take it again. Hopefully my LOR's and work experience help me out.

Hello, I wanted to chime in because I went to see my advisor today. I must say she broke my spirits and I feel lifeless right now.

She looked up my cumulative GPA and told me it was a 2.6.  :blink: that the look I imagined in my head. I thought it was a lot higher then that. I went to look at it for myself it was a 2.8 which is 83%=B. I know it's not a 3.0 now I feel extremely discourage to apply to graduate school and she told me that I have to be realistic. 

I had my expectation way too high before, then again I have a history of doubting myself and I promised that with these solid 5 I will be fine. Now I don't feel as if I should waste my time. The schools are specific because I have an idea of what I want to do as far as my MPH goes. I haven't taken the GREs yet and my test taking skills are avg. I did take a practice test and I got 146 in V and 138 in Q, With a bit more studying I believe I can achieve a 300 on the GREs..well I hope I do. 

I plan to intern for an NGO in the summer time, since it's required for my undergraduate Public Health program

I hold a leadership role as a Resident Assistant  and I am a Certified Peer Educator

I felt hopeful this whole semester, now I feel lost and unsure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.8 and not so great quantitative GRE scores (170V,149Q). But I also have 4 years of work experience as a microbiologist for a state health department and 3 years of volunteer experience in my area of interest, so I was able to get great letters of recommendation. I was accepted into the University of North Texas Health Science Center and NYU. I was rejected from Columbia and UT-Houston. I really wanted to get into Columbia because I loved their program and thought my experience would outweigh my bad GPA. Alas, that didn't happen, but the important thing is that even though I thought my GPA would haunt me forever, some schools looked past that. And now I have to decide where to go.

Best of luck to you all!

Sorry to hear. Did you hear back from your other choices yet

Just got my second rejection in a row...I feel so discouraged. Still waiting to hear from 3 schools. At this point I'd be happy getting into one :( 

I have a 2.8 and not so great quantitative GRE scores (170V,149Q). But I also have 4 years of work experience as a microbiologist for a state health department and 3 years of volunteer experience in my area of interest, so I was able to get great letters of recommendation. I was accepted into the University of North Texas Health Science Center and NYU. I was rejected from Columbia and UT-Houston. I really wanted to get into Columbia because I loved their program and thought my experience would outweigh my bad GPA. Alas, that didn't happen, but the important thing is that even though I thought my GPA would haunt me forever, some schools looked past that. And now I have to decide where to go.

Best of luck to you all!

I'm jealous. NYU is where I wanted to go. My stats are similar to yours but I only have a year of experience (even less at the the of applying). I'm guessing that's where I went wrong :((((

Hello, I wanted to chime in because I went to see my advisor today. I must say she broke my spirits and I feel lifeless right now.

She looked up my cumulative GPA and told me it was a 2.6.  :blink: that the look I imagined in my head. I thought it was a lot higher then that. I went to look at it for myself it was a 2.8 which is 83%=B. I know it's not a 3.0 now I feel extremely discourage to apply to graduate school and she told me that I have to be realistic. 

I had my expectation way too high before, then again I have a history of doubting myself and I promised that with these solid 5 I will be fine. Now I don't feel as if I should waste my time. The schools are specific because I have an idea of what I want to do as far as my MPH goes. I haven't taken the GREs yet and my test taking skills are avg. I did take a practice test and I got 146 in V and 138 in Q, With a bit more studying I believe I can achieve a 300 on the GREs..well I hope I do. 

I plan to intern for an NGO in the summer time, since it's required for my undergraduate Public Health program

I hold a leadership role as a Resident Assistant  and I am a Certified Peer Educator

I felt hopeful this whole semester, now I feel lost and unsure.

dont be too discouraged...i was in the EXACT same situation and I have been accepted to two schools so far...IT CAN HAPPEN!! :) 

Good luck!

I had a 3.3 GPA and a pretty low GRE score as well--152V 146Q. I think professional experience/letters of rec definitely outweigh grades, so I wouldn't be too worried! 

dont be too discouraged...i was in the EXACT same situation and I have been accepted to two schools so far...IT CAN HAPPEN!! :)

Good luck!

Thanks. I actually started my SOPHAS application and started to select schools. What schools have you applied to? If you don't mind me asking.

Has anyone heard any good things about

University of South Florida

On 3/11/2014 at 12:43 PM, colby11 said:

Just got my second rejection in a row...I feel so discouraged. Still waiting to hear from 3 schools. At this point I'd be happy getting into one :(

Awwh.. I feel you will get into one of your choices

Idk what schools have rolling admission except for

Washington University in St. Louis

University of Michigan (depending on the program)

Saint Louis University

University of Arizona 

After March 1, late rolling deadline until the program is full:  MPH Environmental & Occupational Health, MPH Health Services Administration (Phoenix and Tucson), and MPH Public Health Practice (Phoenix)  

Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine

If you know any, I would like to know as well. I only have 4 choices, my friend told I should have at least 2 more.

On 3/14/2014 at 7:25 PM, olamiss said:

Awwh.. I feel you will get into one of your choices

Idk what schools have rolling admission except for

Washington University in St. Louis

University of Michigan (depending on the program)

Saint Louis University

University of Arizona 

After March 1, late rolling deadline until the program is full:  MPH Environmental & Occupational Health, MPH Health Services Administration (Phoenix and Tucson), and MPH Public Health Practice (Phoenix)  

Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine

If you know any, I would like to know as well. I only have 4 choices, my friend told I should have at least 2 more.

Thank you Olamiss. So far, I have gotten 4 rejections in a row (UPitt, UMass Amherst, BU and UMinnesota). I am still waiting to hear from USF and UMiami. I'm looking into applying to Indiana University - Purdue University, Icahn @Mount Sinai and Washington University in St. Louis. Otherwise, I will enroll in summer school and take graduate classes and get ready for next application season. I will update everybody if I get in anywhere. Best of luck to you!!

On 3/18/2014 at 12:19 PM, colby11 said:

Thank you Olamiss. So far, I have gotten 4 rejections in a row (UPitt, UMass Amherst, BU and UMinnesota). I am still waiting to hear from USF and UMiami. I'm looking into applying to Indiana University - Purdue University, Icahn @Mount Sinai and Washington University in St Louis. Otherwise, I will enroll in summer school and take graduate classes and get ready for next application season. I will update everybody if I get in anywhere. Best of luck to you!!

No problem. I know for St. Louis if your GPA is under 3.0 your GRE score has to be in the 40th percentile. That is what the person in admissions told me.

I haven't taken them yet, so we will see.

This is one of the schools I have applied to already:

Northwest Ohio Consortium School of Public Health [they have regular and provisional admission]- CEPH accredited program [they do not use SOPHAS] :D

SOPHAS

University of Florida

University of South Florida

I have faith in you Colby the right school hasn't picked you yet..Good luck.

I have faith in you Colby the right school hasn't picked you yet..Good luck.

Thank you Olamiss. Hopefully we both get in to USF. 

Keep your head up Colby! You'll find the right school for you :)

I'm kinda hoping you'll join me at Icahn actually. I want a GradCafe group of buddies, haha. 

Aww thank you...I actually have my SOP ready to submit to Icahn. I was just nervous hit the submit button haha

Thank you both of you. This waiting for the uncertain and mourning for the certain feels a little better with the support from this group.  

If you'd like, feel free to PM your SOP and I can give it a read over. 

Good luck! I was lucky to stumble across this site when I was having application anxieties. But now, I'm basically done with them so I'm just happy to help!

Hey guys, don't get down on yourselves. I am writing this to let you all know there IS hope. Just keep your head up and apply (relatively) broadly!

I graduated with a 2.39 in Microbio, which SOPHAS upped to a 2.58. Along with a 303 GRE (155 V, 148 Q, 5.0 AWA).

Only about a semester of research, and a handful of hours volunteering. And zero, I repeat, zero work experience. I graduated last year and have spent this year traveling.

I remained confident and was able to articulate WHY I wanted to study public health and what my ultimate goals were. I cannot overstate the importance of this. Schools want to know that you are driven and have a fleshed out plan for your future.

I applied to the following: Pitt, GWU, Columbia, NYU, Mt Sinai, Emory, Boston, UCLA, Claremont, UC Berkeley, and Temple.

I was accepted to: Pitt, Emory, Sinai, UCLA, Claremont, and Temple. I was waitlist at NYU and rejected by the rest.

One thing that I did was after each school emailed me to confirm that they received and are reviewing my application, I emailed them back to highlight specific reasons why I wanted to attend that school and what specific interests in the field of public health I am looking to get into. I strongly believe that this shows both enthusiasm and true interest.

In summary, no matter how low your stats may be.....bet on YOURSELF, not averages!

:)

Edited by tac0d00d

If you'd like, feel free to PM your SOP and I can give it a read over. 

Good luck! I was lucky to stumble across this site when I was having application anxieties. But now, I'm basically done with them so I'm just happy to help!

Thank you. Too bad I didn't see this before I submitted my application..but the gesture is appreciated. We'll see if they let me join you at Icahn.