Any sub-3.0 in yet?

123hardasABC

I am delighted to announced that I have been officially accepted to the Graduate Program in Public Health @ Icahn School of Medicine. Two acceptances in the same week?. Couldn't be any happier right now!

I am delighted to announced that I have been officially accepted to the Graduate Program in Public Health @ Icahn School of Medicine. Two acceptances in the same week?. Couldn't be any happier right now!

Yay!!! I am like so excited for you

I'm going for Epidemiology. You? 

I want to study a combination of Global Environmental and Occupational Health and Global Epidemiology

Edited by olamiss

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I was a sub 3.0 applicant. (2.8 to be exact), with a sub par GRE (154V, 149Q). I got into three schools thus far and still waiting on 2 more, which at this point, I think I will be admitted to. I had great LORs, ECs, Research, Service Experience, SOP, and a good reason for the low GPA. All of these things factored together is what got me accepted, because I know for a fact that it wasn't my numbers. I was accepted into University of North Florida, Florida International University, and the big one University of Miami aka the Harvard of Florida (jk). So yeah all sub 3.0 people don't lose hope! I was shocked at my UM acceptance. Just play up your strengths and downplay the weaknesses. 

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I was a sub 3.0 applicant. (2.8 to be exact), with a sub par GRE (154V, 149Q). I got into three schools thus far and still waiting on 2 more, which at this point, I think I will be admitted to. I had great LORs, ECs, Research, Service Experience, SOP, and a good reason for the low GPA. All of these things factored together is what got me accepted, because I know for a fact that it wasn't my numbers. I was accepted into University of North Florida, Florida International University, and the big one University of Miami aka the Harvard of Florida (jk). So yeah all sub 3.0 people don't lose hope! I was shocked at my UM acceptance. Just play up your strengths and downplay the weaknesses. 

Congrats, and thanks for the encouragement.

What do you plan to study?

Edited by olamiss

My GREs were not great. I had 148 quant and 152 verbal. 

Well that's good because the avg score is 300 to get into a decent school, that's what the kaplan lady said to me.

The highest you can get is 340..so you did good well at least to me.

Thank you so much!! I hope you start hearing from your schools soon as well. 

Awh thank  :wub:  well that won't happen until after I take the GREs. I am nervous about the because I have studied but not how I wanted to because

I am taking 20 credits this semester and barely had time to study, all I've done is review the math aspect because that is where I am weak. And practice some problems here and there. 

Oh my god! Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you there! (It's where I'm attending!)

Congrats, and thanks for the encouragement.

What do you plan to study?

Thanks! Well I accepted my offer to UMiami. I have the choice between their MPH program and their MSPH program so I am still a bit undecided. The MSPH is more science and research based so I'm thinking that might be better for my future goals. 

Yes, I'm kinda leaning towards Icahn now. Did you get financial aid at all? I still have to get that figured out.

I was a sub 3.0 applicant too! with 2.87 gpa with 146V, 154 Q. 

I got into George Mason University last week! (Master of Health Policy program) 

and Rejected from three other schools and still waiting on one school...

Does any one know if Georgetown accepts people without interviewing for the Health Systems Administration program?  

Yay!! you will be in NY.. I am also thinking of applying to Icahn, not sure yet. I don't want to live at home -_-

Yes, I'm kinda leaning towards Icahn now. Did you get financial aid at all? I still have to get that figured out.

I filled out FAFSA but that's as far as I've gone. I'm trying to figure out the pre-admission crap (like the physicals and drug testing) first.

Yay!! you will be in NY.. I am also thinking of applying to Icahn, not sure yet. I don't want to live at home -_-

Apply anyways! It doesn't hurt to try! Okay, maybe it'll hurt a little since it's ~$70 on SOPHAS...BUT STILL!

Hey all,

Now that my application cycle is pretty much officially over, I am posting to give hope to all those who feel like their stats are not up to par with the rest of the competition. I just want to say that I know exactly how it feels to be MEGA intimidated about the rest of the applicant pool, it took a few months of deliberating to even muster up the courage to open up the GRE books and begin studying.

But if you really know this is what you want--do not sell yourself short!  Show them that you have a passion for public health (or whatever field you choose) and you'll get in!

I applied to quite a large number of schools (10 to be exact) with a mix of what I thought were "never-will-get-in-but-at-least-I-can-say-that-I-tried-and-failed"schools and some schools that I thought were a 'pretty-good-shot'. I can now safely say that I have acceptance letters from three of the top 5 public health schools (Columbia, Hopkins, Michigan).

Feel free to PM me if you would like some detailed advice/information about my stats and I can definitely try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Edited by dude_abides

I filled out FAFSA but that's as far as I've gone. I'm trying to figure out the pre-admission crap (like the physicals and drug testing) first.

I filled out FAFSA and haven't heard back! Its been a couple weeks. Does it usually take this long? Also, I haven't heard anything from Sinai since the welcome email with the link to the registration site.

I filled out FAFSA and haven't heard back! Its been a couple weeks. Does it usually take this long? Also, I haven't heard anything from Sinai since the welcome email with the link to the registration site.

FAFSA usually process applications within 48 hours and then send you a confirmation on your email. Also Sinai has an institutional financial aid app that you have to fill out and send over to their financial services office. I was told that I will get my financial aid award sometime in June.

Have you accepted your offer yet?

If you go dig around their enrollment site, they also have a financial aid form: http://icahn.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Student%20Resources/Applic%20for%20Fin%20Assistance%20Master-Phd%202014.pdf

Word of advice, if you do plan on attending Icahn, they require a lot of medical and health paperwork, so you best get started and find a primary care physician.

If you go dig around their enrollment site, they also have a financial aid form: http://icahn.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Student%20Resources/Applic%20for%20Fin%20Assistance%20Master-Phd%202014.pdf

Word of advice, if you do plan on attending Icahn, they require a lot of medical and health paperwork, so you best get started and find a primary care physician.

on this form do you check fall, spring 1, and spring 2 boxes? also did you do this already? And have you heard back?

FAFSA usually process applications within 48 hours and then send you a confirmation on your email. Also Sinai has an institutional financial aid app that you have to fill out and send over to their financial services office. I was told that I will get my financial aid award sometime in June.

Have you accepted your offer yet?

Yes I got the confirmation. Filling out the institutional app now. Did you email it to them? Or fax?

Yes I got the confirmation. Filling out the institutional app now. Did you email it to them? Or fax?

I scanned it and emailed it back to them. I was told I should get the financial aid award sometime in June.