Any sub-3.0 in yet?

123hardasABC

Thank you :D unfortunately, I have had a few too many tacos in my day

Where are you planning on attending?

Most likely Icahn, unless I get into Berkeley (which I highly doubt, let's be realistic). Yourself?

Thank you. Too bad I didn't see this before I submitted my application..but the gesture is appreciated. We'll see if they let me join you at Icahn. 

Good luck!

Edited by 123hardasABC

Most likely Icahn, unless I get into Berkeley (which I highly doubt, let's be realistic). Yourself?

Probably UCLA or Claremont, but considering Sinai as well (im from Cali). I've been looking into housing in nyc just in case. Seems impossible. What are you doing for housing?

Probably UCLA or Claremont, but considering Sinai as well (im from Cali). I've been looking into housing in nyc just in case. Seems impossible. What are you doing for housing?

I kinda assumed you're from California because of the tacos. I'm from LA and I love tacos. I'm gonna find an apartment in NYC. The price will be extreme, but I'm very drawn to having the experience of living in NYC. Berkeley is my alma mater, so it's the safe choice in terms of living since I'm familiar with the area. 

Edited by 123hardasABC

I kinda assumed you're from California because of the tacos. I'm from LA and I love tacos. I'm gonna find an apartment in NYC. The price will be extreme, but I'm very drawn to having the experience of living in NYC. Berkeley is my alma mater, so it's the safe choice in terms of living since I'm familiar with the area. 

What part of LA? I'm from San Diego but went to undergrad at UCLA so I know the area. Honestly, I really like Sinai . The only thing really deterring me is the cost of living and the weather (stupid, i know lol). I've always wanted to live in NYC though, just not sure ill be able to adapt to the cold!

Where are you finding an apt? Craigslist is filled with scams and "Broker fees". Seems impossible to get a studio for 1000 or less! Also, how are you gonna move all your stuff out there? As you can see, Im a pit panicky when considering the thought of moving cross country :P

What part of LA? I'm from San Diego but went to undergrad at UCLA so I know the area. Honestly, I really like Sinai . The only thing really deterring me is the cost of living and the weather (stupid, i know lol). I've always wanted to live in NYC though, just not sure ill be able to adapt to the cold!

Where are you finding an apt? Craigslist is filled with scams and "Broker fees". Seems impossible to get a studio for 1000 or less! Also, how are you gonna move all your stuff out there? As you can see, Im a pit panicky when considering the thought of moving cross country :P

Orange County, actually. I like to say LA just because it's easier to identify for some people. I've been poking around here: http://www.reddit.com/r/NYCapartments for apartments. 

The only reason I'm so drawn to Berkeley is because it's where I did my undergrad so there's a lot of safety and familiarity there. But...Berkeley is a top school and my academic track record isn't so hot. I mean, I am the OP of this thread after all... But the other part of me kinda wants to just jump over to the other side of the country and start anew. I'm just gonna take what I need and buy cheap Ikea furniture when I get to NYC, or convince a group of friends to roadtrip with me. The only downfall with NYC is that you won't find better tacos than Chipotle tacos. There won't be In-N-Out. No Slater's. No Phil's BBQ. 

Oh god. Why am I leaving California again?

Edited by 123hardasABC

Orange County, actually. I like to say LA just because it's easier to identify for some people. I've been poking around here: http://www.reddit.com/r/NYCapartments for apartments.

The only reason I'm so drawn to Berkeley is because it's where I did my undergrad so there's a lot of safety and familiarity there. But...Berkeley is a top school and my academic track record isn't so hot. I mean, I am the OP of this thread after all... But the other part of me kinda wants to just jump over to the other side of the country and start anew. I'm just gonna take what I need and buy cheap Ikea furniture when I get to NYC, or convince a group of friends to roadtrip with me. The only downfall with NYC is that you won't find better tacos than Chipotle tacos. There won't be In-N-Out. No Slater's. No Phil's BBQ.

Oh god. Why am I leaving California again?

No in N out...wow that is terrifying. Maybe places in NYC can make some makeshift animal style fries :D

Have you figured out where the best area is to live? In terms of price vs commute etc

No in N out...wow that is terrifying. Maybe places in NYC can make some makeshift animal style fries :D

Have you figured out where the best area is to live? In terms of price vs commute etc

Sinai has apartments that are offered for their graduate students.

http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/residencies-and-fellowships/housing/student-housing

http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/residencies-and-fellowships/housing/resident-housing

http://icahn.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Postdoctoral%20Training/Housing%20Portfolio%20Map.pdf

Unfortunately this is not available for MPH students

You're right.   MPH students are allowed to  sublet a room  for 1year in Aron Hall. Which is good since it's located across from the school. The 2nd year finding an apartment  I would do since your going to be a little bit more familiar within the area.

Mt. Sinai recommends this site: http://rotatingroom.com/

Mount Sinai’s single students are assigned to the Jane B. Aron Residence Hall, 50 East 98th Street. Each occupant has a private bedroom in a four or six-person suite which provides 2 or 3 shared bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. Units are furnished and furnishings may not be removed. Linens, towels, kitchen and bathroom supplies are not provided. Suitemates share one electricity bill for the suite. The building has doormen 24 hours, a laundry room, an exercise room, and a TV lounge. Each bedroom has a telephone jack and each occupant may arrange for private telephone service with a telephone company.

Hope this helps.

Edited by olamiss

You're right. MPH students are allowed to sublet a room for 1year in Aron Hall. Which is good since it's located across from the school. The 2nd year finding an apartment I would do since your going to be a little bit more familiar within the area.

Mt. Sinai recommends this site: http://rotatingroom.com/

Mount Sinai’s single students are assigned to the Jane B. Aron Residence Hall, 50 East 98th Street. Each occupant has a private bedroom in a four or six-person suite which provides 2 or 3 shared bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. Units are furnished and furnishings may not be removed. Linens, towels, kitchen and bathroom supplies are not provided. Suitemates share one electricity bill for the suite. The building has doormen 24 hours, a laundry room, an exercise room, and a TV lounge. Each bedroom has a telephone jack and each occupant may arrange for private telephone service with a telephone company.

Hope this helps.

None or the rooms at Sinai on this website seem to be available for more than a month. Probably because they are for MD students leaving on rotations

Interesting. But I'm probably gonna look for my own apartment. I don't know the area well but I know a few people in New York. If you're seriously considering Icahn though,........  B)  You know who to PM. 

Commuting to Icahn from Southern California is a bit........extreme.

Yes it would be, but I am not from S. California. I was making an general statement -_-. If I were him/her I would try to find an apartment not in the city, which Ichan helps you with. I only know this because my cousins graduated from there one did an MD and the other an MPH.

Lol. I'm sorry. I'm just being a smartass; I tend to do that. I'm going to Icahn and I'll be looking around for apartments in nearby neighborhoods. Commuting shouldn't be too bad since classes are in the afternoon/early evening (no waking up early to get to class). I lived in San Francisco for my undergrad, so I'm kinda acquainted with this lifestyle.

Anyway, where are you looking to go, olamiss?

Lol. I'm sorry. I'm just being a smartass; I tend to do that. I'm going to Icahn and I'll be looking around for apartments in nearby neighborhoods. Commuting shouldn't be too bad since classes are in the afternoon/early evening (no waking up early to get to class). I lived in San Francisco for my undergrad, so I'm kinda acquainted with this lifestyle.

Anyway, where are you looking to go, olamiss?

I figured you were being a smartass. I just chose not reply to your sass. lol 

San Francisco is definitely different from NY city. You shall be fine

I am looking into are  

Northwest Ohio Consortium of Public Health

University of South Florida

University of Minnesota

University of Florida

I was think i should have 1 more school, but nothing tickling my fancy yet.

The admission contact for USF is the least helpful person ever. My application was on hold for like a week, because their system did not recognize my USF ID and didn't let me pay my application fee. She did not offer any help trying to figure out whatever the problem was and I had to reach out to their IT department myself.

Anyways, I hope that's not a sign that I wasted my application fee on them.

The admission contact for USF is the least helpful person ever. My application was on hold for like a week, because their system did not recognize my USF ID and didn't let me pay my application fee. She did not offer any help trying to figure out whatever the problem was and I had to reach out to their IT department myself.

Anyways, I hope that's not a sign that I wasted my application fee on them.

I've sent an email and called leaving a message. Did not get a reply it's been over a month.

I was just trying to figure out when there deadline is and according to SOPHAS it's 6/1

Do you need a supplemental application? 

I have questions and no answers

Edited by olamiss

I've sent an email and called leaving a message. Did not get a reply it's been over a month.

I was just trying to figure out when there deadline is and according to SOPHAS it's 6/1

Do you need a supplemental application? 

I have questions and no answers

There is a supplemental application fee ($30) and you have to pay it after they sent your USF ID. Payment is done through something called OASIS and that's the website that I was having trouble with. And yes I think SOPHAS has the right deadline.

There is a supplemental application fee ($30) and you have to pay it after they sent your USF ID. Payment is done through something called OASIS and that's the website that I was having trouble with. And yes I think SOPHAS has the right deadline.

Thanks a lot. What program are you choosing? 

Thanks a lot. What program are you choosing? 

MPH in Epidemiology. But if I get in I will add do a double concentration in Epi and Communicable Diseases.

MPH in Epidemiology. But if I get in I will add do a double concentration in Epi and Communicable Diseases.

Cool that's the program I chose, via sophas

I'm conflicted because the amount of credits and I want to do environmental health too

I am fine with what I have, which ever program allows me to go to the peace corps. 

Does anybody know if Icahn email applicants regarding receiving their application? I submitted my application last week, but I am still to get any sort of communication from them regarding my application. Is that normal?

Does anybody know if Icahn email applicants regarding receiving their application? I submitted my application last week, but I am still to get any sort of communication from them regarding my application. Is that normal?

I didn't receive an application notice from the school. I would also e-mail a cover letter to dean of the department or chair of admissions and cc the admissions department. This shows initiative and I received a reply from them, christine.cortalano@mssm.edu