Any sub-3.0 in yet?

123hardasABC

I filled out FAFSA but that's as far as I've gone. I'm trying to figure out the pre-admission crap (like the physicals and drug testing) first.

Apply anyways! It doesn't hurt to try! Okay, maybe it'll hurt a little since it's ~$70 on SOPHAS...BUT STILL!

Yeah I can. It's cheaper to live in Hoboken if your going to live in NY , to save yourself money. Living in Manhattan is just ridiculous and the commute isn't bad either from Hoboken to Manhattan. $70  the first school starts at $120. idk I have to check out there website to see if it fits what I want to do.

Edited by olamiss

Hi everyone!
I just read the whole topic and it was the best thing I did.

It didnt completely end my anxiety, mainly because that is impossible, but def toned it down a little lol

I'm a Brazilian student and I have a government scholarship to do my MPH at an US institution, IIE is helping out with my placement, but like you guys I had to use SOPHAS.

I just applied to (in order of importance):

BU

Icahn

Rutgers

USF

Ive been freaking out for not knowing how good my application is. In Brazil the grading system is really different and when I converted it I got a REALLY LOW grade, 2.6; unlike some of you, I have no working experience, just some internship, since I graduated this past December.

Hope to start getting some replies from schools before I completely lose my mind.

Could anyone tell me a little bit about Icahn please? I kind of applied there blindly, after a 2 hours research I decided I loved the program and it didnt seem to famous so I though I might have a real shot.

Maybe you guys no more about since you are American.

Congrats to everyone that got an acceptance letter already!

If you go dig around their enrollment site, they also have a financial aid form: http://icahn.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Student%20Resources/Applic%20for%20Fin%20Assistance%20Master-Phd%202014.pdf

Word of advice, if you do plan on attending Icahn, they require a lot of medical and health paperwork, so you best get started and find a primary care physician.

Hi!

Congrats on your acceptance! I also got into Icahn. I spoke to someone in financial aid and they mentioned they only give loans and no grants, just thought I'd share. I also saw they would be having an open house in June, but they don't really have an admitted day or anything like that, right? Did you by any chance visit the campus? Also did you get any kind of package or welcome anything in the mail, all I got was my acceptance letter via email..

Thanks for the heads up on the financial aid form, I'm gonna get to work on that.

Hi everyone!

I just read the whole topic and it was the best thing I did.

It didnt completely end my anxiety, mainly because that is impossible, but def toned it down a little lol

I'm a Brazilian student and I have a government scholarship to do my MPH at an US institution, IIE is helping out with my placement, but like you guys I had to use SOPHAS.

I just applied to (in order of importance):

BU

Icahn

Rutgers

USF

Ive been freaking out for not knowing how good my application is. In Brazil the grading system is really different and when I converted it I got a REALLY LOW grade, 2.6; unlike some of you, I have no working experience, just some internship, since I graduated this past December.

Hope to start getting some replies from schools before I completely lose my mind.

Could anyone tell me a little bit about Icahn please? I kind of applied there blindly, after a 2 hours research I decided I loved the program and it didnt seem to famous so I though I might have a real shot.

Maybe you guys no more about since you are American.

Congrats to everyone that got an acceptance letter already!

there's not a lot of info on it because its a new program. Just go to youtube and search for Icahn MPH they have some good Q&A sessions there

Hi!

Congrats on your acceptance! I also got into Icahn. I spoke to someone in financial aid and they mentioned they only give loans and no grants, just thought I'd share. I also saw they would be having an open house in June, but they don't really have an admitted day or anything like that, right? Did you by any chance visit the campus? Also did you get any kind of package or welcome anything in the mail, all I got was my acceptance letter via email..

Thanks for the heads up on the financial aid form, I'm gonna get to work on that.

Hmm.. I would love to go to the open house actually! I've never been to the campus. I've visited New York a couple of times but that's about it. I'm based in California, so it's kinda difficult. If you do plan on attending....you should totally let me know!

And no, I didn't get any welcome forms. Their program is relatively new and I'm guessing they only have the resources for email notifications at this point. 

Anyone going to Mt Sinai doing the health requirements yet?

I don't understand if we are supposed to get any vaccinations, it seems like they are all optional?

Also is anyone signing up for their health insurance??

I don't understand if we are supposed to get any vaccinations, it seems like they are all optional?

I'm gonna have a PCP look at it and see what she recommends.

I have my own private insurance, so no. 

Have you started financial aid stuff yet? Apartment hunting?

It looks like a regular college health entry requirements. I got most of those vaccines/tests for my undergrad institution. 

The toxicology requirement is a little vague. They don't really specify what specific toxicology test they want done. 

With respects to health insurance I'll use my own private one. 

What are you guys planning for housing? 

I just got into Mount Sinai today! What made you all choose it if you don't mind me asking?

Even though the MPH program is new, Mount Sinai is a "brand name" medical school. So that carries some weight with me

The majority of it is the chance to live in NYC

I'm gonna have a PCP look at it and see what she recommends.

I have my own private insurance, so no. 

Have you started financial aid stuff yet? Apartment hunting?

Yeah my financial aid is done, waiting for my letter to arrive in June (according to the office)

Have briefly started looking for housing. Waiting for my friend who may be moving to NYC with me for a job to give me some confirmation

I just got into Mount Sinai today! What made you all choose it if you don't mind me asking?

Brand new program, reasonable tuition, and a chance to live in NYC. 

Yeah my financial aid is done, waiting for my letter to arrive in June (according to the office)

Have briefly started looking for housing. Waiting for my friend who may be moving to NYC with me for a job to give me some confirmation

For the financial aid form, did you put down your permanent address or a local one? The form asks for a local address but I haven't found a place to live in NYC yet.

In total I applied to 6 schools. I submitted my application yesterday and I take the GREs on Saturday then I am forever done with this process.. I know it will be awhile before I hear from the other schools

Northwest Ohio Consortium of Public Health 

University of South Florida

University of Florida

University of Minnesota

Boston University

University of Albany

Edited by olamiss

does anyone know when the icahn open house is or any orientation? I'm from CA and I want to check it out. Maybe we should start a separate thread for people who are going too :)

If you start a new thread, I'll join it. I'm also from CA and will be attending Icahn. According to the enrollment page, there is a general school orientation, but no specific MPH orientation. I think it's on August 11th?

If you start a new thread, I'll join it. I'm also from CA and will be attending Icahn. According to the enrollment page, there is a general school orientation, but no specific MPH orientation. I think it's on August 11th?

does anyone know when the icahn open house is or any orientation? I'm from CA and I want to check it out. Maybe we should start a separate thread for people who are going too :)

Christine Cortalano told me the MPH orientation will be held on September 2nd, day in which incoming first year students will be registering for classes. She also said that school-wide orientation is August 11th and that we are encouraged to attend, as they will be providing a tour of the facilities, explaining the student perks and such that day.

Not exactly sub-3.0. My GPA was exactly a 3.0 lol

Applied to USF (MSPH-epid), UGA (MPH epid), Emory (MSPH epid), UPenn (MPH general), GA Southern (MPH epid), and UMD Baltimore (MPH epid... because I missed the deadline for College Park).

So far accepted to GA Southern, recommended by UGA, rejected by USF and waiting on the rest.

I applied late - in March. I'm hoping I get results soon...