Did anyone get into a T-20, but decide to reapply?

orangesplease

Hey folks,

Anyone get into T-20 schools, but deferred to see your luck the following year?

I'm in a confusing position and aren't sure what to do regarding my apps. Two T-20 schools (at least I believe they fit in that ranking :P) accepted me, but I'm really concerned about placement after graduation. For that reason, I'm contemplating deferring and applying for the next round.

The two things that would probably change in my app is my SOP and contacts w/ professors. I did a fairly thorough job of discussing my research interests this time around, but did not go into detail regarding methods aside from mentioning I was interested in causal inference. My research into professors was rushed, so while I found the professors I wanted to work with at each univ, I reached out to very few of them. That may or may not have an impact on my decisions.

My only hesitation is that I'm not a youngin' and waiting another year to begin seems wasteful. Any guidance is appreciated =D

Hey folks,

Anyone get into T-20 schools, but deferred to see your luck the following year?

I'm in a confusing position and aren't sure what to do regarding my apps. Two T-20 schools (at least I believe they fit in that ranking :P) accepted me, but I'm really concerned about placement after graduation. For that reason, I'm contemplating deferring and applying for the next round.

it may be possible, but kind of rude, to defer a school just so you can try your luck next round. When you defer, it's with the idea that you will be attending the following year because some legitimate reason prevents you from doing so this year... 

it may be possible, but kind of rude, to defer a school just so you can try your luck next round. When you defer, it's with the idea that you will be attending the following year because some legitimate reason prevents you from doing so this year... 

It depends on what he means by defer.  If by "defer" he means trying to accept an offer while delaying attendance for a year, that is indeed pretty shady.  But if he means "defer" in its ordinary rather than a technical sense (to simply decline his offers this year and try again next year), I see nothing wrong with applying twice.

I'm in a similar situation, but I won't wait for another year because the weaker aspects of my application are unchangeable things like undergrad university (unknown, international) and GPA, plus I don't think I can publish in a real journal or get an MA in Statistics by the end of 2014...

But if I were you, I would check on three things before taking the risk of reapplying. First, I assume you aren't telling them your true plan, so find out under what circumstances they will grant you the deferral. Second, ask adcom members why they rejected you, which may or may not include the two issues you mentioned. Third, read the profiles of people who got Harvard and Stanford this cycle and evaluate whether your application can be more competitive than theirs in one or two years (admission gets harder each year, doesn't it?) Good luck, and congratulations on the offers you already have!

My schools aren't as good as Wisconsin? ha ha

I indeed was referring to accepting admissions to one school and deferring that offer. But that's part of the reason why I'm reaching out for some guidance. I very well understand what deferrals are for, so good to know about the shadiness factor.

Deferring may not be possible at all, and if it is, the caveats mentioned above sounds reasonable. You may well not get into any of the top schools the next time around too. Also contact with professors will not bring you the desired results. 

Another thing to think about is that you are still you whichever program you attend. I won't say "go ahead and work hard, you can do it," I don't know you. Maybe you can, maybe not, you will be the judge of that. If you can, the info is that good TT placements is not a rarity at Top 20 - 25 programs, those who work hard get them. If you can't, being at a Top 20-25 program will hurt you more than being at a Top 5-10, no doubt, but in both cases you will probably be better off outside of academia. 

My $.02 

I indeed was referring to accepting admissions to one school and deferring that offer. But that's part of the reason why I'm reaching out for some guidance. I very well understand what deferrals are for, so good to know about the shadiness factor.

To be honest, I think that's bad form. If you want to decline and then reapply, that's more than fair. But academia is a small world, and you don't want to be known as the guy who had an affair with a few other schools because your first wife wasn't pretty enough. 

To be honest, I think that's bad form. If you want to decline and then reapply, that's more than fair. But academia is a small world, and you don't want to be known as the guy who had an affair with a few other schools because your first wife wasn't pretty enough. 

I concur.  Best case scenario, you get into another school and they remember you as the jerkface who used a deferral to apply to other schools.  Worst case, you don't get into another school, they find out about it, and then they either rescind your offer or constantly think of you as "that guy."

From what I've gathered, once you get out of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton (and possibly Michigan?) group, you have several schools in the top 15-20 that place very well. I would be assertive and check with the departments about how many people completed their Ph.D.s in the last few years, and how many are currently working in academia before you do anything. Academia is extremely competitive, but you are still in a good place if you are getting a Ph.D. from a top twenty.

You usually need a compelling reason to defer. Most schools will not permit it just so you can sit home and watch Netflix. Alternatively, you could start at the program this year, and if you still aren't convinced finish up with the terminal masters and transfer (assuming you've gotten admission elsewhere).

Of course the question has to be: Why were you applying to programs you wouldn't have been happy to attend?

I may have a compelling reason to defer, but that's aside from the point. Was definitely happy to apply to those schools, but scared myself into reconsidering employment prospects. Trying my best to avoid being naïve and thinking I'll be a "lucky one" to graduate in 5 years with a decent TT offer.

Will need to dig deeper for better placement info. The schools provide placement info, but it seems incomplete or unnecessarily broad for recent years.

I may have a compelling reason to defer, but that's aside from the point. Was definitely happy to apply to those schools, but scared myself into reconsidering employment prospects. Trying my best to avoid being naïve and thinking I'll be a "lucky one" to graduate in 5 years with a decent TT offer.

Will need to dig deeper for better placement info. The schools provide placement info, but it seems incomplete or unnecessarily broad for recent years.

Yes, of course. OTOH, it's a struggle even if you're graduating from a very top program (even if the odds are better).