Fall 2015 Applicants

Sorry to hear it folks...though I'm also a little relieved. Yes, it seems that the significance is far more personal than I would have guessed. People care, of course, but they just have no frame of reference. I shouldn't be surprised, as it was quite similar to when I went through the immigration process (for which I also leaned heavily on the support of an Internet forum. Hmm...) I think once you get past the application / acceptance part, and are finally able to say "I'm pursuing my Ph.D. at X" things will be different. Then again, I remember mentioning to my semi-literate, anti-intellectual father a few months ago that I probably wouldn't graduate until 2020 at the earliest. "2020!?!?!?" He was incredulous. I must admit that I got a small kick out of it, however... ^_^

Then again, I remember mentioning to my semi-literate, anti-intellectual father a few months ago that I probably wouldn't graduate until 2020 at the earliest. "2020!?!?!?" He was incredulous. I must admit that I got a small kick out of it, however... ^_^

I've mentioned to my dad that I will be at least thirty by the time I graduate. He stressed that "it's not too late to go back and get that engineering degree."  

Mind you, I'm three months out from finishing my MA. Ugh.

Unfortunately, most of my close family has been incredibly unsupportive about my decision to pursue academics - I have been the recipient of some very nasty comments regarding the subject. These close fam members also didn't say a word of congrats to me when I completed my MA. Needless to say, I have stopped discussing the process with them. Thank goodness my significant other is a rock of support!

100% this. While my close family (and close friends) have come to terms with the fact that I'm applying for an English Lit PhD, I wouldn't say that they're exactly falling head over heels for the idea that I want to pursue 5-6 years of my life studying poetics, in a different country, no less. Applying for this discipline is definitely a labor of love.

Hello! I'm jumping in because I'm in a "twiddling-my-thumbs" phase. Oh, sure, I have to finish my thesis, write a chapter for a book, and substitute teach to keep the lights on (my assistantship ended in December), but all I can think about are those applications... just sitting... out there. 

Productivity is at an all-time low. :/

So I'm curious: is anyone else having a hard time talking to friends and family about this process? It's something that is obviously huge to all of our lives, and will have a profound effect on pretty much everything we do from this point forward...yet for me, when I try to talk to friends about it (friends who have never experienced the process, at least), there seems to be an awkwardness or reticence on their part. I suppose I can understand it, but given how monumental this is to me, I'm left wishing I could have a bit more interest from others. Perhaps that's a little megalomaniacal of me? I even feel reluctant to post Facebook status updates about it, as I suspect that not many people either understand or care about the process.

Anyone else running across something similar? Or do I just need new and better friends? -_-

Believe it or not, there's only one family member of mine who has been not supportive of what I'm doing, and even they have come around in their own way as I've had a fair amount of success in the past two years.  Of course, I have an engineering background in school and work together with a literary/language studies one.  As someone who does DH, I find that focus provides both a wow factor and sense of financial security in social situations.  The latter may or may not be true in academia, but what is true is that I could likely find my way into a data science job.  

As per the stereotype, behind DH's new modes of critical discourse comes the shadow of capitalism (neoliberal, or however you should choose to label it).  But that is also of our cultural moment, and I think most here would agree that the academy is nothing less than shot through with capitalistic interest at this point regardless of our idealistic "content."

Believe it or not, there's only one family member of mine who has been not supportive of what I'm doing, and even they have come around in their own way as I've had a fair amount of success in the past two years.  Of course, I have an engineering background in school and work together with a literary/language studies one.  As someone who does DH, I find that focus provides both a wow factor and sense of financial security in social situations.  The latter may or may not be true in academia, but what is true is that I could likely find my way into a data science job.  

As per the stereotype, behind DH's new modes of critical discourse comes the shadow of capitalism (neoliberal, or however you should choose to label it).  But that is also of our cultural moment, and I think most here would agree that the academy is nothing less than shot through with capitalistic interest at this point regardless of our idealistic "content."

Been reading Terry Eagleton?

Well, our landlord decided to raise rent to an amount that we cannot justify paying, even for the good neighborhood we live in. We have to move. I really didn't want to, as I am trying to save money in case I have to move across the country, but we really don't have a choice. The search is going to be nuts, as we have 2 cats and I can't sign a lease for longer than 6 months because of the application limbo. The bright side of this is that I become obsessive over apartment hunting and will have something to occupy my time while I wait to hear back! Okay, end rant. I just wanted to vent to an audience that would understand the absurdity of trying to find a short lease apartment in case I have to move.

Well, our landlord decided to raise rent to an amount that we cannot justify paying, even for the good neighborhood we live in. We have to move. I really didn't want to, as I am trying to save money in case I have to move across the country, but we really don't have a choice. The search is going to be nuts, as we have 2 cats and I can't sign a lease for longer than 6 months because of the application limbo. The bright side of this is that I become obsessive over apartment hunting and will have something to occupy my time while I wait to hear back! Okay, end rant. I just wanted to vent to an audience that would understand the absurdity of trying to find a short lease apartment in case I have to move.

I'm anticipating running into a similar problem. Cats are crucial for academic success. I considered starting a "Show Your Pets" (read: cats) thread, but didn't want to be that person.

I will say, however, that my roommates and I were able to make the landlord believe we had no cats when we had three. Whenever they did inspection, we'd clean up and stuff the cats into a car and one of us would go on a cat drive around town until it was over. You'll work something out.

This is super random, but I may end up in a similar (albeit very odd) position. Our street abuts a green space being turned into a road. Construction is starting soon, and they may need tear down the whole street to make room. We officially find out at a meeting with the transportation department next week, but it's looking likely as they hand delivered letters to everyone on both sides of my street. If we do have to move I don't know when it will be, and with two dogs over 50 lbs I'm not sure where we could even go.

Anyway, I get unneeded stress during an already stressful time. I'm sorry for all your upheaval! That really sucks, especially with the housing market in LB. Best of luck in your search!

Hello!  I've been a lurker for a while, but I figured it was time to come forward.  

I'm applying this cycle to mostly political theory, but also a few rhetoric programs.  My background is in jurisprudence and social and political thought.  I've loved reading about your interests and application dramas over the last few months. 

It's going to be hard (in the best case scenario of acceptances, obviously!) to choose between the two.  It may come down to a sense of belonging.  For example, y'all use more gifs than the friends over in the political science forum, which I have to say is a major draw...

dcb8fac9dd1e4b6a1ae3ae43da0d3bfff53d3cdc

Oh gosh. We had termites and cockroaches in our apartment over the summer and just about had it and wanted to move but couldn't because of not being sure where I'll end up so we've been sticking it out until February... I somewhat feel your pain.

Best of luck with the search! I know some people in Long Beach too, though, so if it gets really bad, lemme know.

Hello!  I've been a lurker for a while, but I figured it was time to come forward.  

I'm applying this cycle to mostly political theory, but also a few rhetoric programs.  My background is in jurisprudence and social and political thought.  I've loved reading about your interests and application dramas over the last few months. 

It's going to be hard (in the best case scenario of acceptances, obviously!) to choose between the two.  It may come down to a sense of belonging.  For example, y'all use more gifs than the friends over in the political science forum, which I have to say is a major draw...

Welcome! Sounds like a really great background and set of interests! And feel free to post in the PLACE OF LOLLING if you're a gif fan ;)

This is super random, but I may end up in a similar (albeit very odd) position. Our street abuts a green space being turned into a road. Construction is starting soon, and they may need tear down the whole street to make room. We officially find out at a meeting with the transportation department next week, but it's looking likely as they hand delivered letters to everyone on both sides of my street. If we do have to move I don't know when it will be, and with two dogs over 50 lbs I'm not sure where we could even go.

Anyway, I get unneeded stress during an already stressful time. I'm sorry for all your upheaval! That really sucks, especially with the housing market in LB. Best of luck in your search!

Ugh, I'm sorry that someone else can relate to what I'm going through! It sounds like your situation is worse than mine, since you absolutely do not have a choice but to leave. Moving with pets is difficult, especially dogs for some reason. Good luck to you though! Fingers crossed that you won't even have to leave!

Oh gosh. We had termites and cockroaches in our apartment over the summer and just about had it and wanted to move but couldn't because of not being sure where I'll end up so we've been sticking it out until February... I somewhat feel your pain.

Best of luck with the search! I know some people in Long Beach too, though, so if it gets really bad, lemme know.

Ugh, renting is the absolute worst. I had roaches in one of my apartments (it comes with the territory the deeper into north-west LB you go) and it got to the point where I couldn't even use my kitchen. The landlords wouldn't do anything either. I will never forget that smell... But thank you for the well wishes!!

So I've been systematically reading through the Fall 2014 Applicants thread, starting with posts from the It's kind of amazing to read what many former (and some current!) members were going through at that time.

Yeah, I didn't get the first notification until January 31st. It doesn't feel real until the mass Duke rejections appear, and then you realize everything is going to change over the course of 2 to 3 months.

Been reading Terry Eagleton?

I have a bit in the past, but I find him too cynical even for my tastes – not that his writing on those matters hasn't been insightful.  I've worked in tech for many years so I'm well aware of the sort of flattening of knowledge in favor of 'information' and the trade school mentality being applied to higher ed.  But at the same time, I see (digital) humanities as a means of breaking those bad habits, and actually re-enriching our experiences with that information.

So happy to see that people are starting to hear back! As for myself, I've had absolutely no news, nary an interview invite from the national literature departments to which I applied. I've noticed that some people are getting interviews for the programs, but...just going to add more wine and desserts and enjoy my stay in the US until next week and not put too much stock into freaking out, not yet anyways. 

I have a bit in the past, but I find him too cynical even for my tastes – not that his writing on those matters hasn't been insightful.  I've worked in tech for many years so I'm well aware of the sort of flattening of knowledge in favor of 'information' and the trade school mentality being applied to higher ed.  But at the same time, I see (digital) humanities as a means of breaking those bad habits, and actually re-enriching our experiences with that information.

Everyone in my department says he's a middle-brow deviation of Raymond Williams. I asked because he's written a bit about the ways that academic institutions support the hegemony. I thought his argument was a bit... hypocritical? He never addressed his professional stake in the university system. I mean, he publishes and works as a professor, so, if universities participate capitalism, doesn't he have the moral imperative to avoid actively contributing to that "industry"? 

DH seems pretty hot right now, especially paired with Rhet-Comp. Like, jobs seem to exist there. I'm jealous. And I like the stuff I've seen on posthumanism.